Is any bag.....

my3kids

<font color=blue>Helpful Cruise Board regular!<br>
as effective as a waist pack but less tragic stylisticly? I HATE the fanny pack, but, by golly, it can't be beat, as far as I can tell, for holding tickets, cards and keys; still letting me get on the rides without leaving it behind. But face it ladies, it is a fashion nightmare. Pair that with a set of Crocs and Clinton and Stacy are likely to pull me right off Space Mountain. So, any suggestions? :sunny:

You could also try a back pack style purse.
They are small enough and you can shift them to your front when you go on the rides.

I personally bought a zippered lanyard at my local Office Depot.
It was large enough to carry my ID, debit card,hotel card, hopper passes,emergency # list AND my cash. I had one for my son as well and he was thrilled to have his own hotel card and control over his hopper. On any ride that I thought could cause me to loose the lanyard, I just tucked it down the front of my shirt. (So did DS)

Then all I had to carry was the traditional backpack for snacks. My 11 yr DS and I then took turns with the back pack. We had no trouble with the back pack at our feet for the rides.

The thing to remember is what ever you carry, make sure it has all zippers.
You don't want flaps that can open.

Also I carried my camcorder in a plastic bag in the back pack for those wet rides.

:goodvibes

I wear a lanyard for ticket, room key, money, and keep kleenex, lipstick and handlotion in pockets. Thats all I need. What they really need are great cargo shorts for women.....hard to find!

And hard to fit! Wherever the manufacturer puts a cargo pocket, I seem to have too much of my own 'cargo' to fit under the pocket!

I've given up and purchased a waist pack for my camera and everything else. What I found was no matter how small the pack my shoulders still feel bruised after a few days when carrying anything over my shoulders. Not stylish, but at least my shoulders are happy! I do get a plastic card holder/lanyard for our passes while at DL.

Earlier this week :hourglass I found a small leather-look, purse-like bag ( :teacher: 5.5in wide x 7in lenth) that you can wear across your body. It has a long thin strap so can be worn over or under a coat or sweater. It has 3 separate zipper pockets and one snap-over pocket :smooth: . It will easily hold all things mentioned and more :wizard: .

my3kids said:
And hard to fit! Wherever the manufacturer puts a cargo pocket, I seem to have too much of my own 'cargo' to fit under the pocket!

:rotfl2:
I'm with you on that!

I bought a baggallini backpack that someone posted a good deal on and everyone was raving about over on the WDW boards.
Used it one day and went back to my Mickey Mouse waist pack the next. Good thing I brought Mickey along just in case. ;)

The backpack was fairly small and lightweight, but was shaped such that it really only fit the same amount of stuff as my much more compact Mickey pack. Plus I put the backpack down and just about walked off without it twice in one day.
I figure my other option would be one of those across the body things and I rate those right up there with waistpacks when it comes to flattering your figure - or not. :teeth:

Honestly my fanny pack works so well that I think I'll just stick with it.
Fashion statement be da... well, you know
:rolleyes1

i bring a camel pack to Disneyland every time... saves me money for water, and i put all my stuff in it... they dont care if i take it on or not :)

I use the Jansport Mini backpack. It's perfect for everything I need to carry and it's small and lightweight and doesn't hurt my back at the end of the day. I only put my money, pass, hotel key, chapstick, some pain reliever, and my camera!

my3kids said:
Pair that with a set of Crocs and Clinton and Stacy are likely to pull me right off Space Mountain. So, any suggestions? :sunny:

:rotfl2: HAHA! That was the best thing i've heard all day thanks!!! Oh man, you totally read my mind as to how I feel about those things. LOL I love it.

I went out and got myself a small leather mini backpack. It didnt bother me AT ALL during my trip to disneyland, it was soooooooooo easy to store on rides and if you took it onto water rides, nothing inside got wet.

I use a small packback meant for a child. I'm petite so it fits me. It's got a stuffed lion on it and I always draw comments about how cute it is. I never pack alot so it fits all the necessities. During rides that are bumpy I wear it in front. It fits in perfectly at Disney. Thing is, I use it everyday! (I'm 44) :rolleyes1

I gotta put in my vote for the Baggallini Messenger Bag. It's famous over on the WDW boards; I'm surprised there has been only one mention of it here (and that was a negative :sad2: ). I love mine so much, it's the only bag I use anymore.

What I like about over a small backpack is (1) it easily slides around to the front for rides or to get something, so there's not all the on again/off again you have with a backpack; and (2) it has a cell phone pocket in the strap, so it's easier to hear it ring in crowds, and it's much quicker to get the phone out to answer it.

Here's a link:

http://www.shoebuy.com/sb/s.jsp/r_prof/br_Baggallini/b_1-0.82907/p_5/st_121602/sbstl_285133

I was thinking about something like that after our last trip. My DH said he'd rather have a back pack because with the messenger type, all the wt. is on one shoulder, even though it's slung across the body. With a regular back pack, it's evenly distributed.

Since he's the one that carries it, I went along with it and bought a nice one with some wonderful something-or-other in the straps so they won't hurt.

So, do you feel like you need to change shoulders at some point in the day with the messenger kind or is it okay?

I use a mini backpack. It's tiny enough that it doesn't consume my entire back. I can fit a thinnish hooded sweatshirt in there (the fitted kind -- I had a terry cloth one in my pack last trip). It's also just big enough to hold an 8x10 picture in the Disneyland envelope. Everything I need fits in the pack nicely with room for a few souvenirs. The pack has side mesh pockets that I put my camera inside. When I go on a wet ride, I just put the camera inside the pack.

I've also got a lanyard that I wear to keep my pass/fast passes easily accessible so that I don't have to keep digging into the pack. And hey, it gives me a chance to show off my pins too :)

I would recommend checking www.ebags.com, www.zappos.com, and www.luggage.com to see what they have available. Even if you don't like the idea of a backpack, they do have small purses you can wear like a messenger bag that will help you carry the bare essentials in the park. I made my mom get one of those for a trip to Disneyland as I told her I wouldn't be seen with her if she had a fanny pack :p (I know, bad daughter!)

I bought a Travelon bag from QVC about a month before I went to DL in August.
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail

It's a little smaller than what I am used to for everyday, but it actually worked out great for my trip. You can wear it back pack style. I have encountered several women visiting WDW with these.

Qvc has other styles of Travelon that might be better for you.

what I plan on using this trip is a little camera bag that I got from Target. It can hook onto your belt or belt loop with a caribeaner (sp?), or as a fanny pack or over the shoulder. It has a zippered pocket for my small digital camera, another zippered pocket for money, lipstick, etc. and the outside has an elastic cord that can be tightened - not sure what that's for yet, though.

I plan on wearing that either over my shoulder and across my body or clipped onto my belt loop. DH will have the backpack with all the bigger stuff! :rotfl:

ScrapperKimmyD said:
So, do you feel like you need to change shoulders at some point in the day with the messenger kind or is it okay?

Good question. I'm curious too.

I can not comment on that brand of messinger bag, but we did try to use my son's Adias one and I went back to the reg back pack because you could not change shoulders with it and be comfortable.

Part of the magic of Disneyland is that fashion "doesn't count"! People wear fanny packs there who would not be caught dead with one anywhere else.

That includes me and my family-lol. Now my kids are old enough to carry their own, dd is 6 and has her own Pooh fanny pack she puts her own camera, shades, gameboy for line waiting and her own snacks. DS is 11 and would absolutely DIE if anyone of his friends saw him wearing a fanny pack but at DL, it is fine and he has his camera, gameboy, snacks and shades too! I love it because now that they have their own, mine is tiny!

We still bring a backpack in with sweatshirts and even sweatpants to slip over the kids regular clothes if they get cold as those late hours approach but that goes in the locker and we get it as we need it but never carry it around in the park. I like my hands free and my back free too!

We have tried every other bag know to man, messenger bags, across one shoulder travel bags, mini backpacks, nothing works as well for us as the butt packs which we wear to the front and side, never across the butt!

my3kids said:
as effective as a waist pack but less tragic stylisticly? I HATE the fanny pack, but, by golly, it can't be beat, as far as I can tell, for holding tickets, cards and keys; still letting me get on the rides without leaving it behind. But face it ladies, it is a fashion nightmare. Pair that with a set of Crocs and Clinton and Stacy are likely to pull me right off Space Mountain. So, any suggestions? :sunny:

I use an Eagle Creek over the shoulder/fannypack combo. It has a zipper on the back that holds the wrap around your wast belt. If you dont want to use it, you stuff the belt (permanantly attached) back inside and use the shoulder strap to go over one shoulder across your body. I totally love it. The only reason I changed was becasue my cell phone wont fit anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter