Is a year old too young?

shpirks

Mk mommy
We just got back from WDW and I am in my first trimester and we had a great time!! Prior to getting pregnant we had planned on a trip in November this year which is not going to happen, we have been discussing going in November of next year (well I have been working on my husband) for the baby's first birthday it would be a trip with family and we are having a debate about the little one being too little. Has anyone gone with a little one and maybe has some advice that may make my husband a little more comfortable with the idea?

We have been going since our 1st DD was under a year old and it was the same for our 2nd DD. We had a great time, once I learned that I had to tour the parks differently and commando style was a thing of the past:) Take a video camera to record it, our DD's love watching the trips when they were a baby. Take your time, have a good reclining stroller, locate the baby care centers in each park and enjoy.

Well.. not that I have kids but watching a lot of people that do have kids discuss this I think you just have to realize that at that age, the trip isn't for the kid. Until they can remember it, it's sort of silly to plan a trip with kids stuff being the main focus.

You do have to plan differently to accommodate feeding and changing and naps, but a small kid is going to be looking around and seeing what there is to see no matter where you are. I think at such young ages you take them anyway and get the joy of watching their reactions.

The first trips have gotten younger and younger for our kids. Our oldest was 2 for his first trip which was nice and then DS2 was 7 months at his first trip which was fun having pictures taken with the characters. Then our 3rd child, DD, was just 3 weeks old for her first trip and let me just say the princesses went nuts over her as did Mickey and Minnie.

Touring with young ones is a lot different but I think you get to appreciate different aspects to WDW. You don't have to rush around so much and if they fall asleep in the stroller then that is a great opportunity to shop or take pictures.

Honestly it is personal preference if you think they are too young but my theory is that enjoy it while they are still free.

We have taken our DDs at all different ages: 2 months, 7 months, 18 months, 2...

Every trip has been wonderful. On our last trip we had a 2 month old, 20 month old and 5 year old. It's definitely a different kind of trip but it's so magical. You go at a slower pace, have to stop more often for diaper changes/feedings (though I just wore the 2 month old in a wrap the entire time and fed her as we walked so that didn't slow us down), and obviously either skip or take turns riding the bigger rides. But most of the rides at Disney can be done by a 1 year old. Even though they won't remember it you'll always remember how special it was to see your baby smile at Mickey for the first time :)

We took our dd at 8 months, 25 months and are taking her back this fall.

As said in a different post, you have to realize the trip is more for you and the enjoyment you will get watching a one year old experience WDW for the first time.

At 8 Months, my DD LOVED the characters, sat through the majority of rides in fantasy land and slept through half the trip. :)

You have to go at a slower pace - meal times, show times, and travel times can all get interrupted by dirty diapers and crying, so you have to be willing to adjust your expectations.

Having said that, I wouldn't trade the memories for anything! We had a GREAT time! ;)

We took our twins at 1 year old, they had a great time. They went nuts for the parades, and all the fantasyland rides. They both slept through haunted mansion. We also had the first haircut at the barbershop in Main Street, its a wait (hours if you're not there early) but I think it was worth it. You get a certificate and they save a lock of hair and you get a blue or pink first haircut Mickey ears. We also based our trip on them and them alone, if they weren't in the mood for something we didn't do it, we didn't push them at all, and we went back to our resort for naps if they didn't fall asleep in the stroller(which they mostly did)

My son's first trip was at 10 months old and he loved it. In our case, he did end up going that young because his sister was 7, I had the opportunity and chose not to wait any longer to take her. But we all had fun.

I enjoy traveling with him. He's 3 now and we're heading down for a 3rd time next week.

I did not wait for Disney to take him on a trip though. It was his first plane ride, but we spent a week at the beach when he was 5.5 months old. I started travel with both of my children early in their lives. I knew it was something I loved to do so I wanted to see how they liked travel as soon as possible. Thankfully both are good travelers.

And November was great too. The Christmas lights were up, it wasn't too hot and we just went with the flow.

We went last year and our son turned 1 the week after we got back...

We had a great time and he seemed to enjoy himself... :)

I say go for it.

My ds has been going every year since he was 6 months old. When he was little we went at a slow pace, just enjoying being there.
As he started getting older, every year was different. Our pace became quicker, more rides were added every year till he could go on all the rides.

DD's first trip was right after she had turned 15 months and while yes, the trip was more for me (mainly because I couldn't wait to introduce my little one to the place I love so much) I was left in awe over how much she enjoyed herself too. Every sight and sound was brand new, the attractions left her wide eyed, smiling, clapping and "singing" along. Even something so mundane as watching the ducks brought her immense pleasure.

So, in all of my parenting wisdom ;), I say: go for it! Your little one certainly won't remember the trip but you will! Seeing the awe on that little face is going to be a priceless memory.

We went when my son was 16 months celebrating my nieces 5th birthday and he loved it. He was enthralled with the characters and really enjoyed the rides. We were a big group and went at a slower pace as it was all about doing what the kids wanted. It also helped having grandma along as she was willing to sit out the rides he couldn't do or when he was napping and we didn't want to wake him up. He loves looking at the pics of him with the characters and is very excited about going next year. I would never have thought about not taking him it was such a great time. Plus we got his first haircut done at the Harmony Barber shop and we have great pics and memories of it. Even a special set of mouse ears. I would definitely take your one year old.

I think its an awesome idea! My kids both lit up when they were that young. It is some extra wrk 4 the parents but imo totally worth it!

As far as not "remembering" no they will not remember in the traditional sense, however, studies have shown that before children can talk they "remember" via sights sounds and smells, when they get older these same sights sounds n smells trigger their pre-language memory, which means basically if they have a gd time when theyre little those feelings will come back when theyre older and its triggered

We first took our son when he was almost 2. I don't think 1 is too young as long as you plan your trip for your child...The fact that you've been to WDW already is a big help...you know the lay of the land and have a better idea on how to plan things for your child. We stuck to our son's eating and sleeping schedule while at Disney...ate at restaurants that would appeal to him...we didn't get to see most of the nighttime parades and fireworks, but we knew we would be there again. When the focus is on your little one's first trip you find you may not do or see as much, but the experiences you have are precious and priceless. Enjoy!

Our youngest was 15 months on his first trip. He was awesome, and we all had a blast. He got his first haircut there, which was so sweet (although I cried...hard).
1. Make plans for a good stroller, that folds easily if you'll be taking WDW transportation.
2. Maybe you could go the week after thanksgiving? Shouldn't be too hot, low crowds, and the Xmas decorations are fantastic!!
3. Make sure you get baby used to sleeping elsewhere. Our son would have none of the pack n play. We ended up renting a roll away bed, so he could sleep with us.
4. Go nice and slow! You'll have a blast!!
5. He was terrified of the characters at that age. My other two weren't. Just be prepared...

We just got back from a trip with our 14-month old. He had a blast and was remarkably well-behaved. Everything was fascinating to him. He loved all the rides, especially Pirates of the Caribbean. I was worried the characters would scare him but he thought they were fun and flirted with all the princesses. We took a City Micro for him, a stroller fan to keep him comfy, and lots of his favorite snacks from home. I also brought a carrier to make holding him in lines easier.

We took DS #1 to Disneyland when he was 5 1/2 months old. He did really good. We did a more of commando style, my parents were there to help. We went back this year with DS #2 2 and DS #1 4. We went much slower this time. I say go for it!

We just got back from WDW and I am in my first trimester and we had a great time!! Prior to getting pregnant we had planned on a trip in November this year which is not going to happen, we have been discussing going in November of next year (well I have been working on my husband) for the baby's first birthday it would be a trip with family and we are having a debate about the little one being too little. Has anyone gone with a little one and maybe has some advice that may make my husband a little more comfortable with the idea?

I'm not sure it's ever a bad idea to vacation with your family, in Disney or anywhere else. Obviously you will need to tour the parks very differently. I know my kid loved swimming in the pools, the characters, listening to the music and shows when they were younger. Just think of going back in 10 years with your child and talking/looking at the pictures and videos. I say if the $$ is not an issue, go and have a great time.

Our oldest was 15 months for his first trip, the youngest had his first trip at 18 months. I have wonderful memories of both trips, especially with our oldest, since it was my first experience with having a child at Disney World. He loved the characters and I have the best pictures of him meeting Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger at Animal Kingdom, and then again at Crystal Palace. The characters were wonderful with him, really getting down on his level and playing with him. Priceless memories. We did take it more slowly than we do these days, taking time for a good breakfast at the food court and our oldest was easy to nap in the stroller while I browsed in the shops or my husband and I took turns doing things with Rider Switch passes.

I would definitely recommend going during a slower time - we did our kids' first trips in Sept and had short wait times.

Enjoy your planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter