Is a floatation vest required at Trunk Bay?

When we watched the snorkeling thingy on the Magic...they said that you just needed to have the vest on....not neccesarily "blew up" so the lifeguards could see you. I think it is just a precaution....to have the color out to see who is snorkeling.

We did Trunk bay on our own, and no vests were required. Don't know about the ship excursion, but I don't see how they could make you wear one when most other people are not. Besides, the high salt content of the water makes it really hard to sink. I had a hard time diving down to get pictures, and I'm pretty skinny. The vests are a real pain as they interfere with your snorkel, but a good idea to wear if you are not a good swimmer. We found that a pair of Speedo goggles (just cover your eyes) made for a much more pleasant snorkeling experience. The view was clearer, and they were more comfortable. Of course, you have to be comfortable with having your nose out in the water rather than inside a mask. Even my 8 year old daughter finally gave up the snorkel and mask and just went with the goggles. I would always recommend wearing swim fins as they keep you from getting tired and enable you to overcome most currents, not that we ever encountered any type of current problems.

Vests aren't required but I used one because I'm not a real good swimmer. I thought using a vest made it easier to just float and see the fish. My son, who is 15, didn't use one and did fine. So it depends on the person. Hope this helps.

Just a note from an experienced diver who has snorkeled at both Trunk and Castaway: if you have meaningful prior experience -- especially at good diving or snorkeling areas -- don't expect much from either Trunk or Castaway: the former is sadly beat up from years of "snorkeling 101" impact, the latter doesn't have any real reef to speak of, and the fish life is very limited.

Just a note from an experienced diver who has snorkeled at both Trunk and Castaway: if you have meaningful prior experience -- especially at good diving or snorkeling areas -- don't expect much from either Trunk or Castaway: the former is sadly beat up from years of "snorkeling 101" impact, the latter doesn't have any real reef to speak of, and the fish life is very limited. :(

The snorkeling trail at Trunk Bay is crowded and fairly unimpressive. I found that the the rocky area on the left side of the beach as you face the ocean is much better. More fish, many different reef formations and less people. We were the only ones there the day we went, but the Magic was the only ship in port that day. There are no lifeguards in that area. I'm sure it still doesn't compare to prime snorkeling areas around the world, but I was very impressed. I agree that Castaway Cay has nothing other than clear water (sometimes) and a few fish.

we just came back from our 3/23 cruise and we did the 5 star excursion to trunk bay, and you DO have to wear a vest. it is the kind that can be blown up, so as long as you didnt put any air in it, you have no problem swimming down to check out the coral/sea life. i have snorkeled only once before in the keys, and was dissapointed only in this excursion in that you only spend a little over an hour and a half at the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter