• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is a dyson vacuum worth it?

Thanks for all the opinions! I think we're going to end up with either one of the dyson refurbished models that are on amazon, or the new shark for allergies vacuum. Going to see if I can give the old one a good once-over to try and make it last another few weeks, and then we'll pick out the new one! I feel a little silly being so exited for a vacuum, lol.

No, it is not. Dyson is a mediocre vacuum cleaner surrounded by gimmickry. You owe it to yourself to research Miele. Quiet, lightweight, and superior to anything else. Yes they seem expensive but they last a lifetime.

Thanks for all the opinions! I think we're going to end up with either one of the dyson refurbished models that are on amazon, or the new shark for allergies vacuum. Going to see if I can give the old one a good once-over to try and make it last another few weeks, and then we'll pick out the new one! I feel a little silly being so exited for a vacuum, lol.

Good choice!! I think refurbished is the way to go and Amazon seems to have the cheapest dysons around! I know the animal one that I got sells for over 600 new and I got it for about 300. Mine doesn't have the ball...but that wasn't that important to me.

I bought my DC24 less then a year ago and its sitting in my bedroom broken. We had to buy a replacement because with 4 kids I need to vaccum! I bought a refurb from ABC vaccum and I loved it at first. I had some trouble getting the suction to be consistant and had to unclog the hose many times. I do not have any animals and less then 50% carpet in my house, so I know it wasn't overworked or improperly sized for my home. It died when I was vac'ing up some plastic airsoft pellets that were spilled. When I say died the motor was making a horrible burning smell and it made a horrible sound. Now airsoft pellets should NOT have made a vaccum break, esp. one that I paid good money for! My DH wanted to get another Dyson, but my thought was if it waould break in less then a year and it died getting airsoft pellets, how good is it really??? A popcorn kernal is about the same size and density of one of those pellets, so really how sturdy was it really? I do have a warrenty that ABC offers as an authorized Dyson retailer, but its not worth it to buy a boy and ship it out to have to p[ay to have it fixed.

I give Dyson a big thumbs down!!!!

I hate my dyson. The brush has broken on me twice. Dyson replaced it the first time. The second time it broke they told me my carpet was to thick for the dyson I have. I told them I refused to buy another one they sent me the other brush. When that breaks I am thinking about buying a shark. My mil has one and she loves it

IMHO, Nope. :sad2: Don't get a Dyson.

I have one, and it barely does the job. My Dyson broke after 2 years, and when I took it to the shop to be repaired (thankfully it was still under warranty) the repair guy said Dyson is junk. He felt Dyson has flashy marketing, but their product doesn't really stand up. This is coming from a guy who constantly fixes them! The rotary bristles are too short and they only scratch the surface of your carpet. I asked if it was just my model and he reiterated that he would never recommend any Dyson to a customer.

IMHO, start doing some research out there for the best pet vacuum.

Good luck!

I agree.

I hate ours. It is loud, heavy, and hard to push. DH insisted on one, so I told him in that case, he can be the one to do the vacuuming and only when I'm not around to hear it. I refuse to use it. I will use it for spot cleaning but if I do anything larger than our bathroom it kills my back. I prefer canister vacuums, though, because are lighter and easier to use. I hate uprights.

Hi everyone, OP here. I just wanted to check-in and let everyone know what we got! We decided on the reconditioned Dyson DC28 Animal that someone recommended from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XP0VVU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I cannot tell you how much we love it so far! I just couldn't pull the trigger to pay $600+ for a Dyson, especially with the hit or miss reviews. I just couldn't find a brand that I liked better, so I thought this was a fair trade. I ordered it on a Sunday morning with the free super saver shipping and to my surprise, it showed up on Tuesday. DH had it out of the package and put together before I ever made it out to the living room. It works wonderful so far! My only real complaint, and I was expecting it from the reviews, is how difficult it is to use the hose. It's not so bad - I just figure it's a good arm workout :thumbsup2

So thanks again for all your input! We're happy so far :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter