Is a 5 year old toooo young to trade pins?

ggeorgiagirl

Valdosta, GA
Quick question:

Is my 5 year old DS to young to start trading? I have never traded pins...but it looks like such fun. I have collected special pins on every trip that we have taken with him and would hide them in his top drawer. He found them the other day (finally tall enough to reach the top drawer)...AND LOVES THEM!!!!!

Now, I should leave those special pens at home, right? And buy a lanyard when we get there with not-so-sentimental pins to trade.

Is there someone at the park who could explain the process to my DS?

Did they have Night of Joy pins this year?

THANKS!!!!

Beth

we were in WDW 2 weeks ago and my 4.5 yo DD had a BLAST trading. of course she is a bit of an expert as its her 3rd trip that included pin trading (we started her early on her 3rd birthday at Disneys HHI resort. she got more interested last december at age 3.5 on our trip to WDW). These days she knows what she wants (as well as what pins on her lanyard she has already traded for and those are for "keeps" and those left for her to trade).

buy a lanyard when you get there and there are some boxed pin sets with 5 or 6 small pins in for about $30 that are nice starts to use as traders. it may be slow going at first but after a bit he will realize when he sees a cast member with a lanyard to check for favorite pins!

I think she can trade she just might need a little bit of assistance from her mom.

Here is a tip before you go, leave your pins at home and instead head to your local Disneystore and look for a set of snow white pins, the set includes SW and her 7 friends for a total of 8 pins for $15. I promise you when you get to WDW you will not find cheaper traders than that!! Its very rare that disney sells a pin for less than $2 each to the public..

tearawayface: Thanks for the Disneystore tip -- that is a good price for traders. Our 4 year old DS enjoyed trading and was excited to have his own little lanyard to wear. As you might expect, the cast members are really good with the kids. I had to restrain myself though, as the favorite CM pins in my son's eyes were often the cheap ones. Also be prepared for your five year old to love trading one moment, and then offer little interest the next moment.

My DS 5 loves the pins and the act of pin trading. But he doesn't understand the concept of "trading". What he understands is he sees a pin he likes and mommy gives up one of her pins so he can get the pin he likes. He won't wear a lanyard so I have to wear all the pins for him. I have a trade side and a keep side on my lanyard. I'm trying to teach him that the pin are for the entire family to share but that didn't go over well whe I thought he lost my red monorail pin yesterday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter