• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is 6 Months Old Too Young??

Infants are easy peasy! I took my youngest when he was 8 months old and we had a blast :) No, he doesn't remember it but I do and we had so, so much fun. Find a baby carrier you like as we loved having that and I was able to wear him on many of the rides. Keep in mind lots of breaks, but it really isn't difficult. If he needed to nap or eat we'd do rider swap then (our 3 year old at the time is exceptionally tall and could ride most things, so he was always happy to get to do things twice). When the munchkin was 20mo on or following trip we'd use those breaks to take him to one of the play areas to have some fun. At 8mo he did enjoy the characters and feeling their noses especially, though he didn't really know who they were, and the characters always went out of their way to interact with him (though cautiously to make sure he wasn't going to be scared at first). We also were able to get him his first hair cut at Harmony barber shop on main street - which is about the only way cutting off his adorable baby Mohawk wasn't super sad for me ;)

Our first trip was in September, so still super hot - We had a stroller with full shade and I had multiple stroller fans (one for me, too ;) ) to use when he'd nap in the stroller if it was too hot. There are also plenty of cool rides and shows to escape the heat, and we'd always do a mid day nap break for swimming and had a portable bed that we'd take to the pool with us so our older child could swim when the baby was ready to sleep. He tolerated the trip, heat included, just fine.

Thinking about that first trip with my itty bitty squish is making me want to have another :)

I think it's fine. Just be careful of the sun and germs. The trip will be for you not for her she is just along for the ride.

Infants are easy peasy! I took my youngest when he was 8 months old and we had a blast :) No, he doesn't remember it but I do and we had so, so much fun. Find a baby carrier you like as we loved having that and I was able to wear him on many of the rides. Keep in mind lots of breaks, but it really isn't difficult. If he needed to nap or eat we'd do rider swap then (our 3 year old at the time is exceptionally tall and could ride most things, so he was always happy to get to do things twice). When the munchkin was 20mo on or following trip we'd use those breaks to take him to one of the play areas to have some fun. At 8mo he did enjoy the characters and feeling their noses especially, though he didn't really know who they were, and the characters always went out of their way to interact with him (though cautiously to make sure he wasn't going to be scared at first). We also were able to get him his first hair cut at Harmony barber shop on main street - which is about the only way cutting off his adorable baby Mohawk wasn't super sad for me ;)

Our first trip was in September, so still super hot - We had a stroller with full shade and I had multiple stroller fans (one for me, too ;) ) to use when he'd nap in the stroller if it was too hot. There are also plenty of cool rides and shows to escape the heat, and we'd always do a mid day nap break for swimming and had a portable bed that we'd take to the pool with us so our older child could swim when the baby was ready to sleep. He tolerated the trip, heat included, just fine.

Thinking about that first trip with my itty bitty squish is making me want to have another :)

Yes we are planning to take lots of breaks when it is warmest in the middle of the day--both for us and for her! :thumbsup2 We have been looking into the stroller fans and are planning on investing in a few. Did you rent a stroller or take your own? I am thinking of renting the City Mini from one of the companies down in Orlando as opposed to trying to gate check our own stroller, the look like they have a very large canopy for shade and can recline pretty flat so that will be a good place for her to take naps if needed I am hoping.

I want to get her first haircut on Main Street so bad, but I don't think she will have enough hair this trip...just means we will have to plan another one early next year :banana:

I took my kids to Disneyland starting at 6 weeks, and we took DD to Disney World when she was 6 months.

Is 6 months too young for them to appreciate it and remember it? Sure. But it's not too young for YOU to appreciate and remember it.

I wore DD in various baby carriers so I could face her inward if things got overstimulating. One of them was a UV-rated breathable solar sling, so that was great for sun protection. The Baby Care Centers were nice for occasional breaks when we were near them, but mostly I nursed her on-the-go while wearing her.

She seemed slightly amused by some of the characters. Other than that, she didn't seem to care much either way, but she was very easy-going and just went along with everything.

Do you remember which carrier you used? I have a Boba Wrap now, which I love, so I have been looking into the Boba 4G Carrier because I feel like the wrap might be too hot for both of us in July! I am planning on nursing as we go too, not necessarily always in the Baby Centers, I have read a lot of the shows, like Finding Nemo are great cool, dark places to nurse.

Do you remember which carrier you used? I have a Boba Wrap now, which I love, so I have been looking into the Boba 4G Carrier because I feel like the wrap might be too hot for both of us in July! I am planning on nursing as we go too, not necessarily always in the Baby Centers, I have read a lot of the shows, like Finding Nemo are great cool, dark places to nurse.

The one I had was made by an independent work-at-home mom, I think. It was a ring sling made of Solarveil material. I think they stopped making that material a few years ago, but if you check babywearing sites, you might be able to find one inexpensively. Also check Sleeping Baby Productions. She makes amazing ring slings. I don't know if she has UV material, but I think she has light/breathable options. (It's been a couple years since I've shopped for one, so hopefully that info is still correct!)

We got our stroller fans from one step ahead but it was a while ago. They were super portable, bendable, created a nice breeze, and had foam blades in the event of curious little fingers. Occasionally I even clipped one to the top of the stroller for myself in the heat of the day (we had 3 lol).

We've always rented our strollers and gone with the city mini from Orlando Strollers and loved them. The first two years we did the double and last trip just a single. The reclined really nicely for napping and the shades were perfect!

My oldest didn't have hair (nor did he need a haircut) until he was almost 2! We got lucky in respect to the 1st hair cut ;) My Brother and his family were with us on this trip and my niece was also 8mos at the time - she didn't have much hair but had just enough to get it cut as well :)

It's hard work but I love it! I'm making memories too with the hubby so for me it's worth it! I went when my son was 1. I also have been in parks with a newborn, 2yr old, and 4 yr old...when I had more babies. Hope the best, prepare for the worst, and take it easy....that's my advice if you decide to. All the best!

I think that's a great age - they aren't mobile yet and usually happy to observe things. Plus 3 naps a day. I would definitely baby wear - an ergo would be great.

Heck no! We took our 4 month old (along with our 5yr and 2yr old) in January. She was so good, she slept a lot in her stroller and was just watching all the commotion. The first time she saw Mickey in person she grabbed his nose, so cute! The weather is perfect then too. Be prepared to just roll with the punches (or those inevitable diaper blow outs) and you will be fine.

I can only tell you about my granddaughter - no more little kids here. She will be 2 years old next month and this month going on her 4th trip ( my second with them). (Also a trip to the Keys at 11 months).

She was 6 months old when they took her for the first time.

Follow her schedule as much as you can. Also early evenings back in the room.
Take advantage of the Baby Care Centers - they are great.
Bring a noise machine for the room.
Hat, lot's of sunscreen and sunglasses if she lets you put them on. (shady areas as much as possible)
You and DH - clean/wash hands often
Bring a light jacket for the cold rides, restaurants and if using the busses - freezing.
Even though the trip is for you and DH, don't expect too much - you will be back :)
Have a great time.

On our first trip our kids were 4, 2, and 5 months. It was so easy and a great trip. That baby was easy going and was just along for the ride in the ergo. Sh enjoyed the rides and was so happy the whole trip. With your easygoing baby I think you'll have fun!

I took my oldest DD (11) and #5 who was 4 months for 4 days for DDs cheer competition at Disney two months ago and it was not fun. This baby is not easy going, nurses frequently and on no predictable schedule and cries from loud noises so he didn't like many rides or shows. And he doesn't sleep well at all.

I know she won't remember the trip but I think she will enjoy it in the moment and I know DH and I will have a great time! It just seems like so many people tell us not to take her to WDW until she can "remember it" but I hate that philosophy, I always ask them if they didn't take their babies anywhere until they could remember it...that usually shuts them up :rotfl2:

THIS^^^ I totally agree with this. If this was your first and only trip I'd say to wait, but since you already know what you're doing at WDW, then go and enjoy the new experience with your baby! Just slow the pace and you'll be fine. As mentioned by previous replies, take a stroller that lies flat and has a bonnet. My DS would fall asleep while he was sitting up and then I'd gently lower the back flat and he'd take a nice nap. If he was still asleep when it was time for an ADR, the CMs always let us take the stroller right to the table and he'd just keep sleeping (this was quite some time ago, so not sure if this has changed).

Just wanted to comment on the bolded. My two youngest were February babies. I nursed both of them with no issues, but nursing in the heat and humidity of a New England summer was a sticky experience, can't imagine doing it in FL. You have been enough times to know your way around, but I would definitely have a list in mind of good places to go when your little one needs to nurse and you are nowhere near the baby care centers. I was a nurse wherever kind of person, but you won't want to just plop down on the nearest bench in the scorching heat. Also, be extra careful that both of you stay hydrated. I am sure you are drinking a ton of water now, you will need even more then. I know mine had the occasional water as well when it was really hot; you may want to check with your pediatrician before you go about that as well.

Sitting directly in the hot sun wouldn't be great for nursing, but there are lots of options that can work while you still knock out attractions. Certain rides and shows are great options for nursing. Small World, People Mover, Carousel of Progress, Monsters Inc., etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter