Is 12 too old to start sports

In my area there are sports you can absolutely start at 12, or 14 or 15 and play in high school, but swimming, baseball, basketball, soccer and lacrosse aren't on that list. Even kids who have played for years get cut at the HS try outs.

On the other hand, football, track, wrestling, co-ed volleyball (but I think not women's volleyball) and cross country will take anyone who shows up to try outs.

I agree. Dd13 mentioned something about trying out for HS soccer in a couple of years - she played rec up until 2nd grade. I :rotfl2: and told her to do track (dd11, ds11, and ds17 have been playing soccer since the age of 5). She just missed too much.

Here, almost all of the kids playing little league, and then Babe Ruth, have been playing since the age of 4. In order to make the HS team, you have to had been one of the top 2 players on you LL team. Ds17 was probably in the top 3 - always made all stars - but knew he wasn't good enough for the HS team.

If he doesn't try out, he definitely won't be on the team. If he does try out, there's a chance.
What's the harm in trying out? Go for it!

My daughter has played softball since she was 5.
She started trying out for the middle school team in 6th grade(12 years old). She's now in 8th grade, and has made the team each year..and each year girls who have never played before try out and make it, so it's definitely not just the kids who played since they were little.

Here, almost all of the kids playing little league, and then Babe Ruth, have been playing since the age of 4. In order to make the HS team, you have to had been one of the top 2 players on you LL team. Ds17 was probably in the top 3 - always made all stars - but knew he wasn't good enough for the HS team.

My athletic son was like this and shined at baseball. But it was basketball that he loved even more and tried out in HS (Private school)

Unfortunately he was just too short, and his school team 'recruted" kids-like gave a working scholarship to get great kids from all over the city-thats how serious they were.

I'd tell him to talk to the coach and tell him he can certainly learn. Maybe he'll be really good.

where I am he could probably still sign up for cal ripkin (like little league), last year is age 12. I would contact sooner rather than later. around here all the teams have been set already for the spring, but I'm guessing they would still probably fit him in somewhere. Next step I would personally do if this were my son (mine are 12 and 10, have been playing since they were 5, so this is all a big part of my spring), is to see if there are any clinics offered anywhere prior to the start of the season or even during pre-season practice. there is a great place near us that offers some really useful clinics that are great for both those who have played and those who are less skilled. It will help him.

He is going to need to really step up to play this season, and honestly most of his play will likely be outfield, but it will be a great way to get started. Do any of his buddies play? if he can start throwing a ball with a friend and getting basic catching/throwing skills up that will be useful, too.

next year around here would be babe ruth. or school teams, but unless he is really talented I would not put a lot of hope in him making a school team. I wouldn't let that discourage him though in the meantime.

that's what it is like around here, too. no way ds12 will make hs or even ms team, he's a solid middle of the road player and has a great time in a rec league, but its not going to go further than that. still, op, I would encourage him to play because its a fun game, your ds is interested, and its great to learn some of these skills now. even if he doesn't make a school team or become a star, there are always those company softball games when he is grown and in the workforce to look forward to...lol.

I think it's late for baseball but there are other sports that are easier to jump into later. Track and wrestling.

Track is a really great sport for a kid who hasn't really done other sports. While you are competing against your teammates, there is also an emphasis on "personal bests"- completing against yourself.

My ds12 has played baseball since he was 4 and football since he was 6. He's not a big kid, do he decided to skip football this year and do cross country instead.

He was never interested in organized basketball. Every year we asked him and every year he said no. He plays in our driveway with our hoop and in phy Ed at school, but that's it.

To our surprise, he said he wanted to playin the 7th grade team this year. They had enough 7th graders for 3 teams. Most of the kids have been playing since they were 5 or 6. He had a blast. Was he the best? Far from it. Was he behind in skill? Absolutely. The other players were very encouraging and he even scored a few baskets (including a few 3-pointers!) during games. Every player got yo play 3 quarters per game, so he got plenty of playing time.

Bottom line, as long as he knows that he may not be the best and goes in with an open mind and the desire to just have fun, there's just no harm. I'd absolutely encourage it!

The reason so many kids quit sports by age 12 or 13 is not because they were not good enough. It's because it wasn't fun any more. They get tired of parents and coaches trying to mold them into the next major league athlete. Your son would have the advantage of coming to it without all that serious baggage.

I guess you guys won't know if he can start now unless he tries, right? Time to do some research and see if it's too late to join a league near home. I can tell you that it would be too late at the uber competitive leagues around here. But I can think of at least 1 rec league he would still be able to join if he lived in my city. So it won't hurt to check it out.

Many schools have an ultra competitive sports program and a kid who just starts out would never make the team. Our district's middle school and high school teams are not like that and if he was willing to work hard and learn, he'd stand a good chance of making the team. There are cuts on some teams, but not all.

My daughter's 2 best friends just made the 7th grade volleyball team and had never played before.

My DS played high school soccer after not playing in a league since 4th grade. He also ran track and cross country. In the spring of his junior year he played on the tennis team after never having picked up a racket before. Did he win championships? No. But he was competitive and made some of his best high school memories.

I often tell my kids it's the things we don't do that we regret the most. I hope he gets to give it a try. :)

No in my opinion it's not.
My oldest has always played sports but not football. He started last year at age 12. Was there a learning curve, yes very much so. That first practice was very hard, he wanted to quit and I made him go back for the next practice. (Baseball is much less physically taxing) By the end of the week he was in much better spirits and he insists he's playing again this year. I'll warn you he may not play much at first but that also is a good learning experience for kids. In my opinion team sports is a great way for kids to learn confidence, leadership, problem solving and team-work. Those skills are very valuable as they grow up.

If he wants to play let him play. Our 8th grade Lacrosse team had a scrimmage Friday night. The goalie had never picked up a lacrosse stick before! He did fine. And he will improve as he plays.

Baseball cracks me up. So many people believe their child is the next superstar. Around here there are hundreds of kids playing in a very expensive league who all think they will make the high school team. I think it is the most competitive sport for kids. But if they love it, why not try I guess.

A lot of the boys in his class this year, play sports. So, is it too late? or do you think with proper training and practice, he stands a chance? I am totally clueless when it comes to sports LOL.

Tink_if i were you I would contact a Mom whose kid plays baseball at HIS school

We can all tell you what its like where we are, but its where YOU are that is important :)

Around here he would be too old to start baseball. Its very competitive at that age, even the rec league and he will most likely only get the minimum play time that the coaches have to put him in for. There is alot of "daddy coaching" because they all think their kids are going to be the next MLB superstar.

If it is something he wants to do I would encourage him and sign him up. However If he is still interested in playing after being on a rec team I'd sign him up for summer clinics and if you have any local training facilities make time to take him there. At this age he has to develop his skills to compete with kids who have had years of that and its going to take effort on his part and you parents. I don't think its impossible for him to make his school team, its just going to take more than just playing on a rec team for a couple months.

I'd absolutely encourage it. Worst case scenario he gets some exercise, sunshine, and meets some new friends but is disappointed he doesn't make the team and learns that years of hard work pay off. Best case scenario he gets some exercise, sunshine, and meets new friends and does make the team and learns that taking that first step pays off.

I don't see a downside.

This is kind of how I feel. Right now he is all super excited. He and his dad have been throwing the ball in the backyard. I am just excited that he is doing something other than playing video games LOL. We bought him a glove (right handed) yes, he throws left-handed. DS also has been watching baseball on TV. I thought we could go to some college games in our area, we also have a minor league team here.

We have Cal Ripkin LL here, and it has already started for a few weeks. It ends at 12. He goes to a large private school (K3-12th) and baseball starts in 7th (next year for him). I don't really know how competitive it is, but he did have a friend that played basketball since he was very young and didn't make the team this year. So, I imagine they only pick the best and not everyone makes it. I have told DS about all this w/o discouraging him, but being realistic too.

I will check into summer camps and maybe batting cage practice. If he sticks with it... great, if it gets him out there willing to try new things...great. If not, that's fine too, at least he tried something new.

I would love for him to try track. DS has always said he is one of the fastest in his class, now whether that is true or not who knows.

Thank you all for your advice and words of encouragement. I greatly appreciate it!

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. It will so depend on your school and area. I think being very honest with him will save him possible hurt later on. Be sure he knows how very proud you are that he wants to get involved with a sport but remind him other kids have been doing this for 8-10 years at this point. Try to be objective and decide whether you really think he can compete on a level he will be ok with. Not necessarily a standout, but at a level he will not be made fun of by the other boys. I know that sounds terrible but it's a hard cruel fact.

I have two boys. One has absolutely 0 athletic ability. He can't catch a ball I toss to him half the time. His baseball experience was one year of t-ball at 4 where there is no competition and he still rarely even hit the ball off the tee. He LOVES sports but he is a spectator. He loves to go to games and keeps up with his teams and that is just him and it is just great.

Our little guy (7) could hit a ball pitched to him at two. We skipped t-ball and went straight to coach pitch and he has already been recruited to play on a competition team (we declined for now). He is going to be good but we know we have to keep it up for him to be competitive as he gets older. He has the drive but we have to choose when to let him be more competitive etc. We know our area is VERY competitive in baseball. These little guys start at 3 or 4 and play spring and fall ball every year and most are doing summer travel/competition teams by eight or nine. It would be very hard for a child to start here late in the game. Most coaches are great here and would welcome him but I think he would be very frustrated trying to keep up with his peers.

Maybe try to steer him toward a sport that is more self regulated. My little guy also loves karate. You work to improve yourself and can progress at your own speed. There are competitions but you do not have to take part in them. We have not done any of these.

I guess what I am saying is to balance out his desire to play with protecting his self worth. A tough thing sometimes.

Whatever you decide, if he wants to play baseball (rec/ymca/little league or whatever is in your area)this season, you'd better start calling around now. My DGS's are already practicing and the oldest (12) has his first game this week.

If he wants to play, I say let him play.
Just have the focus on having fun, not trying to meet some goal of making a team.
I would just temper his expectations by letting him know that there are a lot of kids who have been playing for years, so if he doesn't make the school team, that's ok.

My dd quit rec league basketball at 11. Why? Although very tall and a decent player, she felt she wasn't good enough. Yes, there were some very gifted girls playing. I have spoken to a lot of coaches about starting sports early. According to a lot of coaches (middle and high school level), it's not always a good thing to start kids so early. There are going to be those truly gifted kids, that will shine early. But, those other kids, like my dd, will get discouraged when they see that they can't play at that level. Sadly...the average child comes into their own around 12-13! They can then become better players, and can play along side those gifted players. But many just dropped out. And sadly, sports have become 'all about the win'...doesn't matter if you're learning or having a good time. If your team doesn't win, those lesser players are made to feel as though it was solely their fault. At least that's the way it is for the kids under 12 or so! So, by the time they are in middle or high school, only the best of the best are playing. And a lot of those kids, girls especially, are playing multiple sports..every single season. And they are having surgeries early..due to the fact that they never give their bodies a chance to rest.
Okay...off my soapbox. Sorry for the rant. But I truly think that every kid should have a shot at playing sports. So, OP, let your ds give it a shot. YOu just never know how it will turn out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter