ironing/pressing gown?

dizze98765

Earning My Ears
I thought the dis brides might be good for opinions on this since you're transporting your gowns. I was slapped in the face with $430 alterations today, $80 of which is a charge for pressing. Is this something i could do myself? Stupid question, but do you just use a steamer or a low iron setting? I

My personal opinion would be to just pay for it. I wouldn't want to risk damaging the fabric or the plain hassle of doing it myself with all the other things to worry about. I am sure you probably could do it with a steamer but my theory is why risk it.

thanks... I'm only tempted to risk it though because I plain and simply cannot afford $430-ish in alterations. :confused3 I just don't know if i can call her in the morning and cancel and find someone cheaper.

You might be able to find someone cheaper.. for steaming and alterations. You can research it. Just make sure to go with a reputable vendor. As long as you know what kind of material your dress is and you are very careful then I think you could pull it off if there is no other way.

Holy cow, that's expensive! Can I ask where you got it from? My dress was 800, 75 more for alterations (just a bustle and cap sleeves), and I was told at David's they press your gown for free before you pick it up. I do agree with the other poster, though; I personally wouldn't want to take the risk and would probably have it done professionally just to be safe. But if you're set for it, here's an article about it:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070603012333AA8m82c

That was the clearest I could find.

Use a cool iron on the back side of the material. You will be fine. Mom and my aunt did that, and my uncle steamed my veil. Double check with your bridal shop to see if they do a complimentary steaming before the ceremony and you will only have to touch up when you get to FL.

Yeesh. The last thing I'd want to do is go anywhere near my wedding gown with an iron.

If you're travelling with the gown, you're going to need to steam it again, anyway. I'd ask if they can skip the pressing. They may make the point that it's necessary for the gown to be steamed/pressed in order to be able to make the alterations (get the wrinkles out so it can lay straight).

That is a really ouchy amount for alterations.

I told my dress shop not to steam it because I was going to be traveling with it. Carol allens steamed my dress for a resonable price I think it was about $60 plus $15 for each of my bridesmaid dresses.

If you bought your gown at David's......yes, the do a steam your gown for free. They said for me to bring my gown in this week since I'm getting married next week.

I told my dress shop not to steam it because I was going to be traveling with it. Carol allens steamed my dress for a resonable price I think it was about $60 plus $15 for each of my bridesmaid dresses.

daniella,

how long did the steaming process take? they're doing my gown, my mom's dress, 2 bridesmaid dresses, df's suit and my dad's suit and possibly my in laws...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter