• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ironic cleaning question, need to get rid of bacteria

binny

do something that MATTERS!
So I was talking on another thread about how Im a bit of a germaphobe but not too bad and that we rarely got sick (until we moved here). I dont overdo on the anti bac stuff, our soap is regular pump soap etc.

Well DDs tests came back and she has strep pneumonia and a staff infection :eek: In addition DH and I are now sick with the same symptoms we went in and sure enough same strep pneumonia. The cough is horrible! Poor Kate has been down with this for over a week and a half :( The Dr said she can go back to school but her cough is so bad that there is no way Im sending her in like this!

I have to get rid of this! We are on antibiotics now but I want to make sure I get this out of my house! My mum is scheduled to come visit and I cant have her exposed to this, she is 72 and while very healthy, I dont want her to get sick at all. The other 2 kids are fine and the Dr said we wont be contagious by the time she gets here so its safe but I want to make sure all of this is gone. Dr said that anytime you move to a new place you are exposed to new germs and that this stuff is really going around here. they have seen a rash of it lately so they likely picked it up at school. I just want to make sure it banished from my house!

Any tips on products or how to help this? I have lysoled all of the door handles and things we touch (remotes etc) and have tried to keep up with the rest of the stuff, even though Im down with this too. I put all of our pillows through the dryer yesterday for 30 minutes, washed all the bedding.... how else can I help?

don't forget purses, backpacks, wallets, cell phones, keyboards, car handles, frig handle, stove knobs, and microwave handle

purses backpacks and wallets! Good call didnt think of those.

Got the rest I think though. I figure anything we touch should get "the treatment"

I would just do the normal things. Strep is everywhere, all the time. It is a normal, very common bacteria. JMO...but then again, I am not much of a germophobe (only around people with boogies down their faces, uncovered mouths while coughing/sneezing, and not washing hands after using restrooms).

purses backpacks and wallets! Good call didnt think of those.

Got the rest I think though. I figure anything we touch should get "the treatment"

any everyday jewlery like watches, rings and earrings and car keys.

Don't forget to replace all toothbrushes

My advice: try Norwex products. (google: Norwex).

I am NOT a rep, just a VERY happy customer. I thought they were a 'gimmic' until I bought my first antibac cloth and polishing cloth.

I also now own the mop, toilet brush, toothbrush, body cloths, kitchen cloths, bathroom mit, car mitt, car cloth (like a chamois), dish soap, dishwasher detergent and last but not least (because I have more wish list items!!) I also have the laundry detergent.

With these products I no longer buy: Lysol, antibac wipes, Windex, toilet bowl cleaner -- and the other cleaners that are listed above that I've replaced with the Norwex equivalent.

I can not explain how much I LOVE these products. Even my DH was who was originally saying "just another house party" now even compliments this product line.

They have a decent mark up, but if you host a party their incentives are phenominal.

Don't forget about using bleach as a disinfectant.

Wipe down the faucet handles, door knobs, toilet handle & light switches.

First you have to find a cleaner that will actually kill strep and than usually the minimum you have to leave the cleaner on is 4-10 minutes before wiping. I don't know 100% for sure but I don't think lysol kills strep and tell you the truth is pretty much useless. Taking a bunch micrcrobiology classes lately and we experiment with cleaners (most don't work and when they do only when used properly and on minimum amount of bacteria) and to tell you the truth the best things to kill the little boogers is friction. Most of the time normal dryers do not get hot enough to kill most microbes. Read the back of your cleaner bottles carefully you may be very surprised at what it takes to kill germs and what few they do kill. Do you know most "kitchen" cleaners do not kill salmonella. Just continue to take your antibiotics and hand washing, hand washing, and more handwashing, with lots of friction.

I'm sure you've probably already thought about or done these things but, If there is ever a time that everyone in the house is sick, I usually take a bucket of a diluted clorox solution, one part clorox, two parts water...and wipe everything down. It's tedious but it works. And if the weather is nice out where you are, you may want to think about opening the windows and letting the house air out a little.

Also, bedsheets, blankets, pillows, anything that you have used during the "incubation" period of the virus I washed on a regular basis while we are getting better. No need in getting better just to get sick again!

Hope everyone feels better soon!

So I was talking on another thread about how Im a bit of a germaphobe but not too bad and that we rarely got sick (until we moved here). I dont overdo on the anti bac stuff, our soap is regular pump soap etc.

Well DDs tests came back and she has strep pneumonia and a staff infection :eek: In addition DH and I are now sick with the same symptoms we went in and sure enough same strep pneumonia. The cough is horrible! Poor Kate has been down with this for over a week and a half :( The Dr said she can go back to school but her cough is so bad that there is no way Im sending her in like this!

I have to get rid of this! We are on antibiotics now but I want to make sure I get this out of my house! My mum is scheduled to come visit and I cant have her exposed to this, she is 72 and while very healthy, I dont want her to get sick at all. The other 2 kids are fine and the Dr said we wont be contagious by the time she gets here so its safe but I want to make sure all of this is gone. Dr said that anytime you move to a new place you are exposed to new germs and that this stuff is really going around here. they have seen a rash of it lately so they likely picked it up at school. I just want to make sure it banished from my house!

Any tips on products or how to help this? I have lysoled all of the door handles and things we touch (remotes etc) and have tried to keep up with the rest of the stuff, even though Im down with this too. I put all of our pillows through the dryer yesterday for 30 minutes, washed all the bedding.... how else can I help?

Where is her staph infection?

Where is her staph infection?

non colonized nasal. He said that it wasnt as bad as it could be but it could cause problems later so we are treating it with a nasal swab.

I know she is miserable, I wouldnt wish this on anyone. :(

What about books crayons pencils stuff like that.. :hug: Hope your all feeling better soon

Just wanted to say I hope you're all feeling better very soon! :hug:

I second the tip on airing out!
Sounds like everyone else has covered the cleaning tips. :)

Bleach for things that can take it, brown bottle lysol (AKA lysol concentrate) for the things that can't.

Lysol Concentrate kills the following household germs: Staphylococcus auras, (staph); Salmonella choleraesuis (Salmonella) germs. Kills viruses: Influenza A2/Japan/305/57, Herpes Simplex Type 1 and 2.

The brown bottle stuff smells nasty but it kills more germs than the spray. Read the directions, you have to leave it on a long time for it to kill staph.

The best way to keep from getting sick is to wash your hands every time you come home that way you aren't spreading stranger germs around your house. Family germs are OK;):rotfl:.

Thanks everyone :)

I opened the house up, it was a little chilly but it sure felt good! Much better than all the snow weve had here this week.

So far Ive finished the blankets and comforters, vacummed (not that it will help but I was there), scrubbed the bathrooms and sanitized a whole bunch of things in the dishwasher.

I did find that Lysol 4 in 1 spray will kill Staph and Strep so that was the one I bought. Hopefully it will work!

We are feeling a little better this afternoon, although now Im exhausted, but the coughing has eased quite a bit. I am finding that mucinex really helps this one.

Something else that you might want to wipe off is your debt/credit cards.

The germiest things in your house can be the remote control, the phone, and the computer mouse.

I'm not much of a germaphobe, but I do wipe down those three things pretty often. Also, the lightswitches.

I hope you're all better soon! :hug:

Hey, fellow germ freak!

Sorry if these are duplicates -- I read the other posts, but I kept having to stop to wipe my keyboard off with alcohol swabs. :crazy:

Use bleach or alcohol on everything with a handle -- fridge, cabinets, water pitchers, stair handrails, game remotes.

Don't share toothpaste tubes -- they can touch your toothbrush. Everyone here has their own personal tube. Ditto chapstick (DD9 is looking over my shoulder telling me to write about the chapstick -- I'm raising her so well!).

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter