• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ireland Trip Report **Finally Finished...Sort of p.13**

I treated myself to an iPhone for my birthday a few days ago. My old phone was VERY outdated and old. Anywho, I will be bringing it to Ireland, but I am not sure how I will be able to charge it since the outlets over there are different than in the US. Where could I get an adaptor? Or something else so my phone can get charged? TIA! :goodvibes

P.S. I cannot believe that it is 2 weeks from Monday!!! Unbelievable.

I treated myself to an iPhone for my birthday a few days ago. My old phone was VERY outdated and old. Anywho, I will be bringing it to Ireland, but I am not sure how I will be able to charge it since the outlets over there are different than in the US. Where could I get an adaptor? Or something else so my phone can get charged? TIA! :goodvibes

You can get a converter kit that has different plugs in it at Target and many other stores. Check with either Apple or At&t to see if the iphone is dual voltage, I think it is. To avoid a large bill from emails, change the setting to only check for mail when you request it to. That is the setting I always use on mine

Enjoy your trip.

Ok so I went to Target earlier and saw the adaptors and stuff. Now, do I need just the adaptor or do I also need the converter as well? Can you tell I've never traveled internationally? I will only be using it to charge my iphone and a Nintendo DS for my niece. No hair dryers or laptops. Just wondering because the cost difference was pretty significant if you get the convertor as well and I definitely don't want to be spending any more than I need to.

Thanks!!!

Ok so I went to Target earlier and saw the adaptors and stuff. Now, do I need just the adaptor or do I also need the converter as well? Can you tell I've never traveled internationally? I will only be using it to charge my iphone and a Nintendo DS for my niece. No hair dryers or laptops. Just wondering because the cost difference was pretty significant if you get the convertor as well and I definitely don't want to be spending any more than I need to.

Thanks!!!
Here's some links to discussions of converters vs adaptors. It seems it really depends on the item. Some can handle the extra voltage in Europe, some cannot. If it can't, not having a converter can totally fry your device.

http://www.amazon.com/adapter-vs-co...O4CE1Z4KN10R/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B0002H4YUI

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/998004474931

Sayhello

We had the same question. According to Nintendo customer service, you need a voltage converter and an adapter to recharge the DS as the charger is not dual voltage and can't step down the 220 volts. It will fry if you just use an adapter. Any converter that does up to 50 watts will work. I picked one up at Radio Shack for $13. You don't need to get one of the "high-low" converters (up to 1600 watts) and probably should avoid those because most are not supposed to be plugged in for an extended time.

Most cell phone chargers (and camera battery chargers, camcorder chargers etc) just require an adapter. You can look at the battery charger and if it says something like 100-240V (or 110-220V) it is dual voltage and can step down the current itself - you just need an adapter to change the prongs.

Are any of the other ABD's in crazy prep mode? My to do list is a mile long and I have gone through my outfits at least 10 times to make sure I have something that is comfy, decent looking and appropriate to the day's activity and weather. It still seems like just yesterday I made the first call and booked this adventure and now we are leaving in 8 days! My week is going to be nuts. Thank goodness school is out (where I work) and I am officially on vacation!

Monday - Pre-pack trip stuff to take to mom's; pack up and organize all of my therapy supplies from school, buy mom's birthday present

Tuesday - hair cut

Wednesday - Doggy Dr. appointment

Thursday - must have everything ready to head down to my mom's. My dog is staying there while we are away and I wanted him to get adjusted before I leave him (he is a puppy with some "issues" :laughing:) Plus my mom's birthday is on Tuesday so I will be celebrating that. And it will be nice to do any last minute shopping and packing with a travel mate. Plus the good suitcases are at her house.

Friday and Saturday - nothing planned

Sunday - manicures and pedicures; Packing!

My niece is so excited about the trip too which is cute...everyone she sees, she tells them that she is going to Ireland. What a lucky girl!

I was looking at the types of planes we are flying (we are on Delta both ways) and wondering how I could tell if they had the individual tv's or not. Anyone know? I'm such a dork that I wrote down the types of planes we'll be on: 757, 767-400ER, and 737-800. I'm really hoping that at least for the transatlantic portions, we have a tv. The last time I flew I had that and it was such a great distraction for a nervous flyer like me.

Off to do more cleaning, organizing and vacation prep!

Wonders -you sound sooo much better organized that me.
See you next week!!

Wonders -you sound sooo much better organized that me.
See you next week!!

Yes I am VERY OCD and I love to make lists. My mom says to me...well I have enough tops and bottoms but I'm not really sure what tops I'm wearing with what bottoms. Me? I have a list that is something like this: old navy jeans *size* with Jcrew floral tee, black hoodie if cold; Dark Gap jeans *size*, long sleeve white tee, white tank for underneath. That detailed. It is a little much, I will admit.

Keep your eyes peeled for us in Atlanta...wouldn't it be funny if our plane seats were near each other?

Check the the voltage rating on the charger for your Iphone and see if it is dual voltage. Most if not all newer electronics appear to be dual voltage. Somewhere on the charger it will say 110/220. If it does, all you need to charge it is an adapter for the plug, not a voltage converter. If it says only 110 you will need a voltage converter.

This is how I handled my camera charger and computer in Australia. Both were dual voltage and required only an outlet adapter. They did not need a voltage converter.

Make sure you buy an adapter that conforms to the outlets in Ireland.

Wonders, on the Delta website you should be able to find layouts of the planes. It's under a heading along the lines of "travel tools" along the top of the home page.

My 2 cents about convertors/adaptors: a converter, which prevents your device from being fried by the higher current, works great for when you need to charge your phone, or your camera batteries. If you like to use a flat iron for your hair, or have some other "high drain" appliance, it will not work. It tones the juice down too much. Having tested this on two trips now (and living with crazy curly hair in all the pictures!), I will be buying a dual voltage travel flatiron for next time.

As for adaptors, be sure to check the plugs on all the items you will bring. DH's laptop plug only had two prongs (like the other stuff we brought), so that was the adaptor I brought. It turned out that DD's laptop had a three-pronged plug, so I couldn't charge it even though it is dual voltage. :sad2:

Have a wonderful trip! Planning so much ahead of time can be great if you're able to relax and enjoy when you're there, knowing you've controled what you can control. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Wonders, on the Delta website you should be able to find layouts of the planes. It's under a heading along the lines of "travel tools" along the top of the home page.

My 2 cents about convertors/adaptors: a converter, which prevents your device from being fried by the higher current, works great for when you need to charge your phone, or your camera batteries. If you like to use a flat iron for your hair, or have some other "high drain" appliance, it will not work. It tones the juice down too much. Having tested this on two trips now (and living with crazy curly hair in all the pictures!), I will be buying a dual voltage travel flatiron for next time.

As for adaptors, be sure to check the plugs on all the items you will bring. DH's laptop plug only had two prongs (like the other stuff we brought), so that was the adaptor I brought. It turned out that DD's laptop had a three-pronged plug, so I couldn't charge it even though it is dual voltage. :sad2:

Have a wonderful trip! Planning so much ahead of time can be great if you're able to relax and enjoy when you're there, knowing you've controled what you can control. Can't wait to hear all about it!

I tried browsing Delta's website and found the layouts, but all they show are the seats, bathroom locations, galley, etc. Not if there are individual tv screens. I'll keep looking though.

I'm going to head back to Target tomorrow to look at the convertors/adaptors I saw last weekend. My iPhone instruction manual/charger does not say anything about voltage :confused3 but someone above said a nintendo DS will probably need a convertor as well and I definitely want that available for my niece. And maybe me ;).

For the planes try www.seatguru.com but you'd need to know what type of plane you are flying in.

My iPhone instruction manual/charger does not say anything about voltage

Don't look at the manual. Somewhere on the charger there should be a sticker or printing with the voltage information. The one for my ipod says in relevant part "Input AC 100 240v 50-60 HZ" which means it will operate with any voltage between 100 and 240.

For the planes try www.seatguru.com but you'd need to know what type of plane you are flying in.

Don't look at the manual. Somewhere on the charger there should be a sticker or printing with the voltage information. The one for my ipod says in relevant part "Input AC 100 240v 50-60 HZ" which means it will operate with any voltage between 100 and 240.

Cool..I will try that website!

Seriously, there isn't a single marking on my charger! I'm not this stupid people :laughing: It looks like a white USB cord and there is an added white plastic part that you hook into it that plugs into the wall...definitely not like any other charger I have had....which is why I headed to the manual to see if it offered any help. Thanks though!

Now you got me curious so I googled the 757-400er and found this on another forum:

I am a Flt Att for DL and there are no in-seat videos on the 400. There are TV monitors located in the cieling above the aisles to watch video. Have fun and thx 4 flyying on the best airlines in the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter