Ireland Trip Report 2015

Day 6 - Dromoland Castle

This morning after a delicious breakfast, we met up as a group with Shaun, one of the employees of Dromoland. He was to take us for a walk around Dromoland. We walked around the grounds as he told us about its history. He was fascinating to listen to. He gives carriage rides at Dromoland and a number of guests signed up for that activity. We would have loved to do that too, but there just wasn't enough time.

We had signed up for activities a couple of days prior. It was recommended you choose 2 or 3. Most chose 3 I think. We chose Falconry, Clay shooting, and Archery. You could also arrange a spa activity or play golf. It's like an adults' summer camp.

After the walk with Shaun, we met up with Damian for the Falcon talk. This was a group activity where we all went to the area where they kept the hawks, falcons, and owls. Damian talked about the birds and brought out an owl, Pickles, for everyone to hold.

After this activity, the group broke away and went to their individual activities. Ours were scheduled in the afternoon so we had a few hours to relax. We walked over to the walled gardens which are beautiful and contain part of a seventeenth century gateway from Leamaneh at the entrance (be sure to look back at the entrance once you go in). We went to the shop, which was just ok and then went to have a nice long lunch in the lounge. Lunch was excellent. We had a nice view out of the main front windows where we could see other ABDers come and go.

After lunch we had falconry. We met up with Damian again and one of his hawks. He took us for a walk into the woods. We'd stop every so often to let the hawk fly off and then each of us took turns calling the hawk back to our glove with a tasty bit of raw meat. It was absolutely amazing. We heard the hawk walk at Dromoland was rated the best activity in all of Ireland on some poll. It's a must do!

We then went out to clay shoot with a wonderful older gentleman, Patsy. Neither Kate or I had ever fired a gun. It was a lot fun. The gun was heavier than I imagined and gave me a bit of a bruise the next morning on my shoulder. But it wasn't too bad. After shooting, we did archery. That was also a lot of fun. Kate was quite good at it. I need work :). But again it was a lot of fun. In fact as I write this, Kate is putting together her bow that she purchased online to practice with in our back yard. So, she really enjoyed it.

Today was a fabulous day. It was the highlight of the Ireland ABD for me. I've had a lot of great days with ABD around the world so far - running through the temples (amazing race style) in Cambodia, walking around Ayers Rock, getting to see inside Imagineering... It's tough competition, but I want to say this was one of my favorite days with Adventures by Disney. Granted it's fresh on my mind right now, but I think if I could snap my fingers and go back anywhere tomorrow, I'd go back to Dromoland.

Last edited:
Day 6 - Dromoland Castle

21097313343_cb4df0f6ee_c.jpg

21095628964_2957dd2f2b_c.jpg

21718329665_6517260343_c.jpg

Walking the grounds with Shaun

21095623724_a3c4763172_c.jpg

21530490428_f8d1962a19_c.jpg

21718323775_739b842083_c.jpg

Damian, our falconer

21727627391_429d933b2a_c.jpg

Kate with Pickles, the owl

21097314193_cd0570cf8b_c.jpg

21718319295_d713e9c14b_c.jpg

21692257596_ee013ffe6e_c.jpg

Lunch!

21095610104_b66522d20d_c.jpg

21692256216_8a7315d541_c.jpg

21530869018_67ccb78bbb_c.jpg

21530779430_bbe173c2bc_c.jpg

The "Hawk Walk"

21718315955_7277ca195a_c.jpg

21718311765_7e357915d8_c.jpg

Shooting with Patsy

21095613214_1acd9ac7bb_c.jpg

21531478579_375da95fb5_c.jpg

21706792042_eca2e0bb8d_c.jpg

21718314065_f4c4ca4592_c.jpg

Archery

21531480749_46e8389157_c.jpg

21719297715_79a13dac5a_c.jpg

A wonderful day at Dromoland!

21530473958_aef22daa5a_c.jpg

21692248976_99823ca36c_c.jpg

OMG! That sounds like such a great day. I can see myself wanting to go back and spend a few days there and we haven't even been there yet!. Loved the videos. Did you take them with a regular camera (if so what kind) or are you using a Go Pro? If not a Go Pro would you recommend bringing one for the falconry experience? The clay shooting looks like fun! I wish we were in Dromoland for more than a day.

OMG! That sounds like such a great day. I can see myself wanting to go back and spend a few days there and we haven't even been there yet!. Loved the videos. Did you take them with a regular camera (if so what kind) or are you using a Go Pro? If not a Go Pro would you recommend bringing one for the falconry experience? The clay shooting looks like fun! I wish we were in Dromoland for more than a day.

We bought a GoPro for our Disney cruise in April...it was fantastic! I wore in on the Aqua Duck, ziplining, on our 20 mile bike ride in St. Maarten and on the waverunners on Castaway Cay...I loved it! I would think that the falconry experience it would be a great way to capture it especially since there are so many ways you can use it. You will definitely get a lot of use out of it. We certainly did. And, if you didn't want to buy one, you can rent one from Shutterfly...just FYI. I looked into it, but I have another cruise coming up in January and I knew between those two trips it would already be paid for.

If it wouldn't torture the dogs...I make one of them wear it :-)

Cousin Orville...sounds like another fantastic day!!

Love your pictures of Dromoland and the Falconry. Takes me back. We had Damien too and he was so good with the kids as well as the adults. Pickles was a big hit with the girls in our group. So cute.

Thanks! The slow mo videos were taken on my iPhone. I'm sure a go pro would be awesome.

Last edited:
Day 7 - Dromoland Castle and Cliffs of Moher

Today we headed out to the Cliffs of Moher. We've had beautiful weather during this trip, but it was drizzly today. Hopefully the weather would hold out for our trip to the Cliffs. First up, we drove to a sheep farm to learn how to make scones. It was a quaint farm with a lovely thatched roof - very picturesque. The wonderful woman who taught us how to make scones was strict. She ran a tight ship, but the scones came out perfect because of it! Served with cream and jam, they hit the spot. We walked through the farm with the gentleman who ran it and his sheep dog. He sent out his dog to round up and drive in the sheep. It was funny to watch all the sheep sprint in. He said in Ireland, sheep farms are for lamb rather than wool. The price of wool is too low. Most of the lamb goes to France, but the rest is sold throughout Europe.

Next up, we drove out to the coast to see the Cliffs of Moher. We arrived and it was a little rainy and very windy, but the Cliffs but were still very viewable. That's not always a given. They were awesome. They may be familiar to you as the "Cliffs of Insanity!" from the Princess Bride or seen in Harry Potter. They were wonderful, and I'm so glad we were lucky enough to see them. Just as we were about to get back on the bus, the clouds pulled in and it was so overcast, you couldn't see the Cliffs anymore. From here we headed back to Dromoland.

The final dinner was held in a beautiful room in Dromoland. They had Irish musicians and an impressive group of young dancers who were on their way to an international dance competition. The dancers invited some of us onto the dance floor including me and Kate. I'm sure I looked pretty silly, but it was a lot of fun. My food was quite good. My friend's steak was a bit undercooked. On the whole though, everything was good, and it was a fun evening.

Today was a wonderful final last day and really capped off an amazing trip to Ireland! The Cliffs of Moher were really spectacular to see.

I'll be back for some final thoughts on this ABD to Ireland!

Last edited:
Day 7 - Dromoland Castle and Cliffs of Moher

We started off at a sheep farm just east of the Cliffs of Moher

21138820754_79a3dfe701_c.jpg

21771014311_f9ffdb378e_c.jpg

21574753999_e9e1718bd3_c.jpg

We walked out to see the farm while the scones were baking

21573732318_d75a4fd536_c.jpg

21761538385_3bc2af59ee_c.jpg

21761570615_b03a7c7842_c.jpg

21749911812_b30d5ab79e_c.jpg

21138845114_333a8736bf_c.jpg

Back to the scones!

21573648548_8d54f5288d_c.jpg

21573645118_c0e2dd6c16_c.jpg

And the Cliffs of Moher...

21138804034_cc321a9b02_c.jpg

21735395436_657751c519_c.jpg

The final dinner :(

21735394786_175f428a2e_c.jpg

21573507330_204e4b6769_c.jpg

And the hats!

21749840052_328181c1fb_c.jpg

From reading your trip report, which I have absolutely enjoyed. I understand even more how I had such a difficult time choosing between ABD and Tauck Bridges. There were quite a few differences but also many of the same experiences. We went to the same sheep farm but it was for our final night's dinner and entertainment. We did the Cliffs early in the morning, had a beautiful clear viewing experience but as we boarded the coach to leave fog rolled in and you couldn't see the cliffs any longer.

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us.

Day 8 - Dromoland to Home

There wasn't much to the day itself. We had one last breakfast at Dromoland and then headed out to Shannon Airport. Dromoland Castle is very convenient to the airport.

The Ireland ABD itself? It was wonderful in true Adventures by Disney fashion. Kate and I had a fabulous time. Our guides were terrific, and they took great care of us. There were lots of highlights from the Book of Kells, to Muckross House, and certainly Dromoland and the Cliffs of Moher. This ABD shows a lot of Ireland. And what a beautiful country. It's people are so relaxed and friendly. We had a great time. I highly recommend it. Thanks for following along!

Great trip report! I'm glad that you guys had such a great time!

I'm supposed to be traveling with my brother and sister-in-law to Ireland and would love to do an ABD, but I don't think they'll want to spend the money. Either way I know we'll have a great time. It looks like a beautiful country.

Thanks for sharing you vacation with us! Your reports are always great to read!

Thanks for another wonderful trip report. Loved your photos and the falconry videos. I think this ABD Ireland trip needs to be added to our growing list of future trips.

Day 6 - Dromoland Castle

This morning after a delicious breakfast, we met up as a group with Shaun, one of the employees of Dromoland. He was to take us for a walk around Dromoland. We walked around the grounds as he told us about its history. He was fascinating to listen to. He gives carriage rides at Dromoland and a number of guests signed up for that activity. We would have loved to do that too, but there just wasn't enough time.

We had signed up for activities a couple of days prior. It was recommended you choose 2 or 3. Most chose 3 I think. We chose Falconry, Clay shooting, and Archery. You could also arrange a spa activity or play golf. It's like an adults' summer camp.

Hi - I'm new to ADB and trying to learn what's included and what would be an additional expense. Were the above activities included or did you have to pay out of pocket for them? The trip sounds amazing! Thanks!

Hi - I'm new to ADB and trying to learn what's included and what would be an additional expense. Were the above activities included or did you have to pay out of pocket for them? The trip sounds amazing! Thanks!

The falconry, clay shooting, and archery were not included. The morning walk around Dromoland with Shaun was included as was the visit to the area where they keep the hawks and owls.

Cousin O...I was just reminded that you did Australia too this year with your DS. Which did you like better? PS--Did you get enough rest between the two trips? Are you doing two ABDs again in 2016? I found two ABDs to be manageable, even when not back to back. But down under is a rough trip (why I keep putting it off).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter