Ireland Tips

As BadPinkTink suggested the Tourist Board approve B&B's and Guesthouses, so that will give you an indication of the minimum standard. Tripadvisor will also have recommendations on them, there is no shortage, you'll have plenty to choose from.

What we call a big SUV here is more what's termed an intermediate over there, a lot will be familiar but may have different names, from instance the Ford Escape is called a Ford Kuga here, the Nissan Rogue is a X-Trail. We don't really have the bigger ones like the Ford Explorer, Nissan Pathfinder, there are a few about but they are rare. Try and get a diesel, they are far more economical and diesel is substantially cheaper than petrol, anywhere from 10c to 15c a litre, added to the extra mileage you will get, it will add up (3.8 litres is about 1 US Gallon)

If you're travelling with the other family I would suggest separate cars, first it will be difficult to find something big enough for all of you and the luggage (and even if you do you might not want something that big on some of the smaller roads). Secondly it will give you a lot more flexibility to split up and do different things.

If any of the party are interested in golf, we have many amazing courses here, both parkland (akin to many of the courses you have there) and links, which is almost a completely different game.

Ireland is not a big country, it's about half the size of the state of Florida, but journey times will be longer for equivalent distances as our roads are not of the same standard. So keep that in mind. Something like google maps will give you a pretty good ballpark.

Depending on how long and what you plan to visit in Dublin, it might be worth considering the Dublin Pass card which gives you free access to many of the sights. However it includes many attractions that are free (mostly museums and art galleries, it is clear about this, it doesn't hide it), so if your're planning a lot of them it may not be worth it. Like most major cities we also have a number of Hop On-Off bus tours which cover all the major attractions.

Have a think of the kind of things that you like to do and I, and I'm sure plenty of others, will give you plenty of suggestions. As well as the common tourist areas there are also plenty of hidden gems.

Last edited:
Hello NinaBella.

Very good ideas given in the above posts ..... Here are some more./

You live in Tampa .......... Then drive or be driven to Orlando Int ( MCO ) and fly from there to Dublin ,Direct , with Aer Lingus.

When you arrive in Dublin ..... Hire a car or mini van ( Rentalcars.com ) ... use unlimited KM / miles

Note we drive on the left & there will be very few ( expensive ) Automatic drive cars .. ...Stick shift is normal.

Look for Diesel rather than petrol cars .. ( Petrol /gas .. & Diesel are sold in Liters .... Diesel is Euro 1.15 a liter . ( nearly 4 liters to gallon )

There are some good hotels in and around Dublin including 2x Best Western in City center . & North Dublin City Hotel . North of Airport.

Have a look at Paddywagon Tours who do day tours from Dublin , Cork, & other City's www.paddywagontours.com

Come South to Cork ..... where I live ...... & stay in The Clarion ( City Center ) or Rochestown Park Hotel in Douglas

( I am looking at there Christmas Lights 1 mile away )

Again let Paddywagon tours take you on day trips .

You should use your hired car & explore the Shannon Area & have a Banquet at Bunratty Castle & then make your way back to Dublin

Airport for flight home to Orlando ( Direct )

Dublin ...... Newgrange...... Dublin ...... to Cork ...... Cork area ......... Killarney ..... Killarney area & Drive through Gap of Dunloe

to Moll's Gap .... to Killarney. ....... to Tralee ......to Limerick ......... the Burren .,,,, Galway ...... Dublin.

Hope this is of use to you and gives you a start on planning .

Ask more questions ..... will be glad to give info.
Any suggestions for coming in Dublin and going out Shannon and should you pay for insurance when renting the car?

Hi Im from Ireland, I live in Dublin and I have travelled alot of my country :)

Ireland, while geographically similar to The UK , is very different.

From what I have read of the ABD Ireland trip, its a very expensive way to see my country. The hotels and restaurants on the trip would be on the fine dining / high end side and the excursions and trips overpriced and not really show the real Ireland, more a stereotypical nostalgic view

I lived in Galway for a year and traveled back and forth between Galway and the US for another year. I completely agree. Traveling with ABD would cause you to miss out on the best part of the trip -- interacting with the Irish people in B and B's, pubs, etc. It is a very easy place to travel around on your own.

The distance between Dublin & Shannon Airport is about a 2 hour drive.

So you would be better off Arriving / Depart from same Airport

This will be determined on what Time your Departure is & where you have spent the last night of , hopefully , wonderful Vacation .

The insurance is would be what your Rental booking form says ...... No Need for extra Insurance to be Sold to you by Desk Agent at collection.

Just make sure of Un -Limited Kms is in the booking ....... go for diesel car . & mid size

Thanks everyone! I am just popping in to see any updates. Since my first time posting this, I have started the savings account for the trip and am putting money in it weekly. I am close to the estimated airfare goal already. Based on Expedia lowest fare options I have enough for the four of us, but I am basing my goal off of the mid-range prices. I am fairly confident I will actually have enough in savings for this trip by the end of the year (as long as there are no unforseen financial emergencies). So I was actually considering moving the trip up. I think it's way to soon to make that decision. This December I think I will take another look at timelines.

I appreciate all of the feedback.

As far as you know are there any festivals or events we should try to include in our trip? We are just planning for the Summer of 2018, so June or July would be the months we would go. Right now I am still thinking just a week in Ireland, but I am considering adding another country to the trip and saying a few days longer than a week.

As far as you know are there any festivals or events we should try to include in our trip? We are just planning for the Summer of 2018, so June or July would be the months we would go. Right now I am still thinking just a week in Ireland, but I am considering adding another country to the trip and saying a few days longer than a week.

I will keep an eye out for this summer and see whats on but I would need some specific locations or general areas. Alot of towns and areas around Ireland have festivals during the summer but usually they are only advertised locally, on local websites and media. If you have an idea of areas, for example, Galway, I can check out whats on.

BadPinkTink, what is a good time of year to travel (Weatherwise, low crowds at touristy places)?
We do not have kids at home so not worried about school schedule.

BadPinkTink, what is a good time of year to travel (Weatherwise, low crowds at touristy places)?
We do not have kids at home so not worried about school schedule.

probably May / June or September

Irish school holidays are
July and August for 4 to 12 year olds
June,July ,August for 12 to 17 year olds except those doing state exams which are in June

Most Irish families go on holiday in July and August and thats the main summer tourist season.

Irish weather is unpredictable for example today we had hail stone showers and sunny skies alternating during the day!! Temperatures in Ireland dont go above 25 c , summer temperatures are usually between 17 c and 22 c and even in the summer it can rain very heavy. From May to September the days are very long, in July it can stay bright until 10pm with dawn again around 5am.

On the other side, winters can be long, cold, grey and miserable. From October to the end of April its just rain and wind , sleet and cold. Im still wearing my winter coat and its 26 April! Temperatures dont go below -3 c but with the wind and rain it feels alot colder. The days are short, dawn in the mornings is around 8am and in January / February its dark again by 4pm

I will keep an eye out for this summer and see whats on but I would need some specific locations or general areas. Alot of towns and areas around Ireland have festivals during the summer but usually they are only advertised locally, on local websites and media. If you have an idea of areas, for example, Galway, I can check out whats on.

We haven't marked our route yet. We will fly into Dublin and rent a car. I found on some tour agents websites the recommended routes which are basically a giant circle back to Dublin. If there are any festivals, then we can just add it to our route. We don't even have travel dates set yet. I think once we get closer to making our itinerary, I will ask the teenagers to mark a route so they are included in the planning process. Also, it gives them a chance to look up each town we plan to stop at in advance. Then I have to find guest houses/hotels to sleep. Below are two maps I have been looking at. I think the first map is more for a 7 day trip and the second for a 10-day trip.

2016IndIrishSpirit8Day.jpg

2016IndIrishOdyssey12Day.jpg

Hello NinaBella ,

I live in Cork near Blarney.

You have a short time in Ireland and there is much to see so Please Forget map 2 as you have no time to really enjoy your vacation.

Day 1 arrive in Dublin ( Best route Orlando ... Dublin direct with Aer Lingus ) . Hire a car Through Holiday Autos .com

Stay 2 night at Dublin North City Hotel ... just North of Dublin airport on way to Belfast.

2nd Day Drive to Newgrange .... look it up .. well worth it . Back to Hotel .

3rd day Drive to Galway

4th Day Drive to Cliffs of Mother & on to Bunratty Castle for banquet & overnight stay

5th day Drive to Limerick & Foynes ( Sea Planes ) & on to Tralee

6th Day Tralee

7th Day Tralee to Killarney via Ring of Kerry.

8th & 9 th day Killarney

10 th day Killarney to Cork

11 th & 12th day Cork ... Blarney.. Cobh ( pronounced cove ) & pay me a visit .... if I am home .

13th day drive to Kilkenny & on to Avoca ( near coast ) stay in that area maybe Gorey

14th Day drive to Dublin

15th Day or 16th day fly home from Dublin Direct to Orlando with Aer Lingus

I am not a travel agent And I have no connection with any travel co ....... I just like to travel.

I am in Florida till 12th May then Scotland in June & Vancouver & Spokane (USA ) in August & France in November

If you wish PM me for more info & Ideas .

Hello NinaBella ,

I live in Cork near Blarney.

You have a short time in Ireland and there is much to see so Please Forget map 2 as you have no time to really enjoy your vacation.

Day 1 arrive in Dublin ( Best route Orlando ... Dublin direct with Aer Lingus ) . Hire a car Through Holiday Autos .com

Stay 2 night at Dublin North City Hotel ... just North of Dublin airport on way to Belfast.

2nd Day Drive to Newgrange .... look it up .. well worth it . Back to Hotel .

3rd day Drive to Galway

4th Day Drive to Cliffs of Mother & on to Bunratty Castle for banquet & overnight stay

5th day Drive to Limerick & Foynes ( Sea Planes ) & on to Tralee

6th Day Tralee

7th Day Tralee to Killarney via Ring of Kerry.

8th & 9 th day Killarney

10 th day Killarney to Cork

11 th & 12th day Cork ... Blarney.. Cobh ( pronounced cove ) & pay me a visit .... if I am home .

13th day drive to Kilkenny & on to Avoca ( near coast ) stay in that area maybe Gorey

14th Day drive to Dublin

15th Day or 16th day fly home from Dublin Direct to Orlando with Aer Lingus

I am not a travel agent And I have no connection with any travel co ....... I just like to travel.

I am in Florida till 12th May then Scotland in June & Vancouver & Spokane (USA ) in August & France in November

If you wish PM me for more info & Ideas .

Thank you for the fantastic information! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter