Iraq care package ideas?

Blueeyes101817

DIS Veteran
hey guys..
This weekend my mom and i are going shopping to get stuff to send to our friends in Iraq..Every time we ask them what they need they say nothing--i know there are lists and stuff online of things to send, but i want to see if anyone has any personal experience on what is the best stuff to send? Thanks!

People at my job had direct contact with Commanding Officers in Iraq, and we sent care packages with items they requested, including hygenic wipes or baby wipes, books, magazines, AA batteries, playing cards, skiddles, starbust fruit chews, chewing tobacco (copenhagen, kodiak and skoal), gummy bears, zip ties, female hygene products, like shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, lotions, foot powder, movies, music CD's (country and Hip Hop), sheets, pillow cases for twin bed, snacks like slim jims, Koolaid, lens paper, Mach 3 razor blades, air freshener spray for bad smelling things, toys for the afganistan and iraqi children.

I know the soldiers are very appreciative of anything they get that reminds them of home.

We send packages from our office periodically. One specific request that we received (in addition to things on the previous list) was "white athletic socks".

thanks guys!! these guys are my brothers best friends and they hate asking for anything....a few of us all chipped in and got them portable dvd players before htey left, so they dont want to ask for anything else..thanks so much!

A friend of ours currently serving likes any foods that he can eat..Beef Jerky, Tuna cans, chicken cans, mentos, altoid mints, cup of soup (mess food gets boring) etc...he also asks for school supplies for the children...we sent washable markers, pencils, crayons, coloring books, writing tablets etc. I tried to stick with generic items, and nothing religious. I have also heard that flea collars are popular for the sand fleas. We also did send another friend a humidor bag of cigars that were also really popular.

We sent our friend lots of SOCKS. Thats what he asked for but we also sent him pringles,hard candy, magazines. He shared his socks with a buddy and we received Thank You's from both. :flower:

My husband wanted air fresheners and bug strips. He was in a trailer and said the bugs were bad. He also liked the variety boxes of cookies in idividual packages, SOFT TOILET PAPER (the food gets their stomachs really upset sometimes), baby wipes, pringles, sunscreen, hand lotion, and beef jerky.

Really, anything you send they will love... :sunny:

I used anysoldier.com because it will let you see what the soldiers actually request and where to send them.. go to "what to send" and read their personal letters...

I also sell Avon and for $10. you can send n Avon care package. Just ask any Avon Representative.

I have found most soldiers want beef jerky and phone cards along with antibacterial hand sanitizer... and hygene products...

hope this helps...

I have sent a few packages off to my brother and I try to send him things that he likes. (sour candy, chedder cheese combos....etc).

We also send him the general toiletries (travel size) and we try throw in some extras so he can share. The box we just send I added some powdered gatorade, a small pocket size like fan (I hear it is VERY hot over there), magazines that have girls in them....like the hot rod mags.

Brodey is usually pretty good on telling us what he wants though.

Baby wipes would probably be good (I think Dove makes some too), eye drops, gum. One of the guys (in his platoon) mother sent all of them a new pillow to sleep on. That is all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps a little. :)

My DH is on a big base where he can buy all the hygeine stuff- he asks for magazines & books, new DVDs to watch (he & a lot of the guys have laptops or portable dvd players)..

Some items that were ALWAYS requested from my husband :

baby wipes
razor blades
torrangos - lays - pringles (in the cannisters)
cheese dip - queso - bean dip - salsa
beef jerky (no pork products allowed)
magazines
throat drops - hard candy - vitamin C drops
liquid soap - body wash
iced tea mix
spices - taco sauce - hot sauce
tuna, seafood, chicken in the soft packs/pouches
peanut butter squeeze packs
fabric softner sheets (good for their boots and foot lockers - **be careful how you pack them, the smell tends to be absorbed easily)

I also did theme boxes:
baseball season / mexican / a night at the movies / super bowl

Every 3 months I'd also send him a new fluffy towel and wash cloth (usually washed in his favorite detergent).

Good luck!

When my cousin was in Iraq....a funny thing we did. We went to Arby's and asked for alot of packages of all the different sauces. They gave us a whole bunch. My cousin was a chaplaiin so he divided his care packages up. Guess the sauces from Arby's went over real well....as a "taste of home".

thanks so much..im printing this out to take with me...
ive used anysoldier too, i actually email one of the soldiers i wrote to every week
these guys refuse to ask for anything--thanks again!

Another thing that the guys from around here ask for are handheld games, solitaire, blackjack, tetris, etc. You can get them at Walmart for $8-10 or so. Send batteries, too. Hometown newspapers, even if you already read them are also popular.

don't send flea collars, they will not get through. They are no longer allowing them in as they are not safe for human use.

Those new crystal light (or walmart brand) individual dry drink mixes were the favorites of our soldiers because they are easy to stuff in a pocket while they are out. Any kind of portable snack food, ours loved the individually packaged nacho cheese and chips and beef jerky. We've also been saving happy meal toys for the kids over there and now have an entire box of just toys to send. Giving to the children is a great thing for the soldiers to do and they are always requesting stuff for the kids.

When packing the boxes don't forge to put thing in ziploc bags. You never know what can melt of explode or just leak. Then they can use the ziploc bags to put their personal stuff in. The ziploc bags keep the sand out.

Also don't forget presweetened drink like kool-aid or crystal light. Personally I made several indiviual bags of the drink mix from a big container because it takes up less space in the box and my dh didn't have to carry the container around and could just pass out the bags.

Throw in sunscreen for the body and for bald heads. Don't forget aloe and lotion. I also throw in foot powder and athlete foot stuff. Medication that you don't think you need until you need it. Apparently the most obscure stuff was the popular stuff. Also the mini fruit cans are really popular and the BIG pop top cans of soup. My dh would set it on his truck and let it warm up in the sun and just eat it out of the can. Oh, notebook paper, pens and envelopes too. They like to send letters home.

You are doing a good thing by sending the boxes. They always appreciate anything from home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter