• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ipod users.. which one?

LisaNJ25

DIS Veteran<br><font color=aqua>I paid $300 back i
Hubby wants an Ipod.. but this is a guy who never touches the PC.

Do I go with the 30GB. Are they any deals?

How will he use it?

The 30 and 60GB ones are really mini computers -- they have actual hard drives and therefore can skip, etc. If he plans on watching video with it you will need one of these. But if he wants it for exercise, or exclusively listening to music I would go with the Nano. The Nano can hold anywhere from 250-1000 songs depending on what size you get, and unlike the Shuffle, you can download multiple play lists (work out music, chilling in the coffee shop music, driving in the car music) at the same time. You can also use the Nano when exercising and it can store still photos.

If he really wants no frills, then the Shuffle would be the way to go, but with that you don't get any sort of navigation screen. You can't see the title of your songs and you can only play them in the order you put them in the folder on your computer or in random shuffle mode. The up side is the price and the fact it is incredibly tiny.

I recommend the Nano (Unless you want the movie feature). I have the 2g. It fits tons of songs and podcasts. I usually have an audio book on it too.

My hubby has a shuffle and I steal it for the gym. I love it because its tiny and I can clip it to the neck of my shirt and cant even tell its there. I've also thrown it around quite a bit. Its very durable!

The shuffle does not have a navigation screen though so its only really good for putting a set of songs on there and letting it shuffle through them. It would not be the choice if there was interest in doing audio books or podcasts.

Abie

We love our Nano's. They don't have the hard drive so are less fragile than the larger ipods. Great size, great sound. They will hold photos and music, but no movies. If he wants to watch TV shows or movies, then you have to get the larger ipods. But for music, the Nano is great. :thumbsup2

I have an older 15 GB model.....love it, except its full....get the 60 GB if you can.

You may want to think about buying a certified refurbished one from the Apple store...I just bought a shuffle for running/ bike riding and it was $49.00 with a lanyard and free armband! I thought that was a deal! They also have the Nanos - Mine came with everything - the instructions, Apple stickers, iTunes application, earbuds, etc. Just like new! And they are also warranteed for a year!
Here's a link:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=E60A57E5&nclm=SpecialDeals

;)

I'm not gonna lie, I've got the 30GB iPod video, and I'm really not sure how I lived without it. I can take my favorite TV shows (either purchased from iTunes, or saved on my TiVo), store all of my digital pictures and create slideshows that are sync'd to music, listen to all of my podcasts, and still have room for 6000 songs. It's worth every dime.

LisaNJ25 said:
Hubby wants an Ipod.. but this is a guy who never touches the PC.

Do I go with the 30GB. Are they any deals?

MY DH and myself actually have a creative lab brand than an ipod. We've read alot of reviews comparing the 2 and we thought the creative brand was better than the ipod and some of them are very comparable in price.. creativelabs.com ( i think that is the site; you can always good creative labs)...just my .02 :rolleyes1

My opinion of creative labs is terrible! I thought it would be just as good too....until I actually bought one! I never did figure out how to get music onto the thing, although luckily my kid's did. The case fell apart within a couple of weeks. I had to send it back to Creative. They said the turnaround would be 10 days to my door. Ten days later they hadn't even touched it yet. Finally close to a month later I got a replacement in the mail. Wrong color. They said they had no more in stock so I didn't have much choice. (This is my childn's so black wasn't high on her list of acceptale colors) Then 2 months later I get a bill by email for the repair!!! HELLO> It was a couple of weeks old, in full warranty and then they bill me??? They agreed it was in warranty but they still send the bills and to just ignore it.

So my opninon is get the ipod! I didn't realize just how much difference there was until i had the 2 in my hands. No comparison in ease of use, music availability.

We too looked at the Ipods for my 16 y/o ds birthday last month. We decided to go with the Creative 8GB Zen MicroPhoto instead. He loves it. He is very rough on MP3 players as he listens to them while skateboarding. We have had it about a month and no problems to speak of. I did buy him a cover for it and it seems to be helping reduce the possible damage my ds could inflict on the little machine! He loves being able to put pictures and music on it and it has been very easy to use. Here is a link to the Creative products if you want to check them out...

http://creative.com/products/mp3/zenmicrophoto/home.asp

The only drawback I could find is that there is alot more accessories for the Ipods vs the Creative ones. But we are happy with what we purchased. It really needs to be based on your needs and how you will use it.

PS: one of my ds's friends has an Ipod nano and he hates it. It has broken a few times and had to be repaired - that is one reason we did not go with the Ipods - another was their cost for what you get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter