Ipod touch ?'s

EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know that has purchased the 8, 16, or 32 Touch [my wife included] has wished the Touch would hold more.

I've found that the average movie is 1.5-2GB's. And that a 1 hour TV show is about 1GB. Even the 32 therefore will hold only 16-20 movies if you have nothing else on it. I have 40+ movies on my 160GB classic and never have to worry about which ones I want with me.

I have a 16gb and so far so good.... I have quite a few movies, songs, and pics and has room for plenty more. The best part of the touch so far has been for watching movies as the screen is just awesome! Makes waiting for apts, travel so much nicer:goodvibes

The one thing I really don't care much for is the WIFI. The screen is so small that it is tough to really do much. For instance the DIS is just tiny. But it's been useful a couple times finding an address for shopping ;)

The one thing I really don't care much for is the WIFI. The screen is so small that it is tough to really do much. For instance the DIS is just tiny.

That's what I have found also on some of the message boards while trying out DD's the last couple of days, it seems fine to browse the DIS although trying to get to a page 2 or beyond on a thread is difficult (I read your post a little while ago while using the Touch and chuckled because I was having a heck of a time trying to get to the second page of this thread!!). But I thought I read a post by someone on here a few weeks ago that they were typing from their Touch and loved it but now that I've been trying out DD's I've been wondering how, thought maybe I just hadn't figured out the tricks of navigating around the DIS when using the Touch.:)

I'm posting from DH's Touch now. It took me forever to get set up with our router but it is working now!

I'm posting from DH's Touch now. It took me forever to get set up with our router but it is working now!

I just happened to hook up a wireless router about 2 weeks ago before I had even planned on buying DD a Touch for Christmas so luckily DD was all set to use the wi-fi as soon as she opened it up Christmas morning.

I haven't tried posting yet from the Touch since I was having such a hard time just getting to page 2 on any of the threads on here (plus I think DD is getting a little annoyed that I keep borrowing her Touch:) ).

I was getting some songs off my computer that my DS 14 had already loaded on his MP3 player. anyway, I accidentally put ALL the songs on mine, but don't like all of them. Now I have to figure out how to get them OFF my itouch. How do I do that? Thanks!

I just happened to hook up a wireless router about 2 weeks ago before I had even planned on buying DD a Touch for Christmas so luckily DD was all set to use the wi-fi as soon as she opened it up Christmas morning.

I haven't tried posting yet from the Touch since I was having such a hard time just getting to page 2 on any of the threads on here (plus I think DD is getting a little annoyed that I keep borrowing her Touch:) ).

That's good that she was ready to go Christmas morning!! I had a devil of a time getting his set up!!

It wasn't easy getting past page 1 but I'll bet with a little practice it wouldn't take long to get used to it. But by the way I'm back to posting from my laptop...

DH got me one for Christmas yesterday. It's 16 gb, but how do you know if it's 1st or 2nd generation? And what's the difference?

I'm pretty clueless about electronics, but since I was taping a talk radio show every day on cassette, he decided to bring me into the 21st Century with podcasting.

I also want to use it for audio books, but they seem pretty expensive. Are there any free ones out there?

I download audio books for free, from my library website. I live in a tiny town, with an equally tiny library, but I was surprised at the many services available on the website. Currently, I'm listening to the 3rd Twilight book, and there are lots of new releases available to download.

DH got me an MP3 player for Christmas. He wanted to get me a Touch, but we only agreed to spend 100.00 for Christmas. So, now he is giving me the option to take the one he got me back and get an IPOD Touch. I think I might take him up on his offer. I do have a couple of questions.
Where can I download music from?
How much is the cost to download a song?
How easy it is to set it up to my wireless router to have access to the internet?
Should I go with the second generation one?

Thanks
Fran

I download audio books for free, from my library website. I live in a tiny town, with an equally tiny library, but I was surprised at the many services available on the website. Currently, I'm listening to the 3rd Twilight book, and there are lots of new releases available to download.

Wow, that is a great service your library offers. I just checkd my library and they dont offer free audio books.
Does anyone know of any websites that offer free downloads of audio books?

DH got me an MP3 player for Christmas. He wanted to get me a Touch, but we only agreed to spend 100.00 for Christmas. So, now he is giving me the option to take the one he got me back and get an IPOD Touch. I think I might take him up on his offer. I do have a couple of questions.
Where can I download music from? Itunes
How much is the cost to download a song? 99 cents
How easy it is to set it up to my wireless router to have access to the internet? Very simple
Should I go with the second generation one?If $ is an issue apple.com has 1st gen refurbs for $159. I don't think the speaker on the 2nd gen is that great but the battery life is supposed to be better.

Thanks
Fran

See comments in red.

Wow, that is a great service your library offers. I just checkd my library and they dont offer free audio books.
Does anyone know of any websites that offer free downloads of audio books?

The service my library uses is Overdrive Digital Downloads. If you're in the Chicago area, I'd be really surprised if your library doesn't offer it. I live in a tiny town and ours has it. Maybe you can call the library and check for sure.

BTW, can you do me a favor and eat an Italian Beef sandwich for me? ;) I lived in the Chicago suburbs for awhile, and those were SO good! Unfortunately, it's a Chicago thing and not to be found anywhere else.

I was getting some songs off my computer that my DS 14 had already loaded on his MP3 player. anyway, I accidentally put ALL the songs on mine, but don't like all of them. Now I have to figure out how to get them OFF my itouch. How do I do that? Thanks!

There is I think two options here.

One is you could go to your sons Itunes and remove those songs from your playlist that you synced to the ipod and the resync it.

or....

The other option is to plug your ipod into your computer and use Windows Explorer to find your music folder on your ipod and deleted the unwanted songs. The computer will look at the device and see it as a regular flash drive.

Remember, Windows Explorer is not to be confused with Internet Explorer. Just do a right click on the start button and you'll see Explorer. You should also see it (it being the Ipod) by clicking on My Computer.

Hope this helps.

-Doug

Where can I download music from?
How much is the cost to download a song?
How easy it is to set it up to my wireless router to have access to the internet?
Should I go with the second generation one?

Thanks
Fran

PP already answered your questions and you may already know this but I wanted to add that you can also transfer all your cd's to your Touch as well so you could put a lot of music on it without spending any $.

In regards to the router, when DD turned her Touch on it and went into an application that required internet it simply asked for the password to our wi-fi and she was connected, now it automatically connects whenever it's on, no need to enter the password every time.

The service my library uses is Overdrive Digital Downloads. If you're in the Chicago area, I'd be really surprised if your library doesn't offer it. I live in a tiny town and ours has it. Maybe you can call the library and check for sure.

BTW, can you do me a favor and eat an Italian Beef sandwich for me? ;) I lived in the Chicago suburbs for awhile, and those were SO good! Unfortunately, it's a Chicago thing and not to be found anywhere else.

I will be sure to call my library and see, maybe I just missed it on their website.
I have heard that Chicago is the only place to get real italian beef sandwiches. I will be sure to eat on for ya!! You dont have to twist my arm on that one. One of my favorite places for great Italian beefs is Johnny's in North Ave in Elmwood Park (I think thats the town)

Fran

The 2nd generation has an external speaker and longer battery life.

Thanks! I found out I have the 2nd generation.

Thank you for the info. I'll go right now and check my library website!

PP already answered your questions and you may already know this but I wanted to add that you can also transfer all your cd's to your Touch as well so you could put a lot of music on it without spending any $........

Good advice, and I'm amazed at the number of people who don't realize that. Personally, I've never spent a dime on iTunes, and probably never will.

I will be sure to call my library and see, maybe I just missed it on their website.
I have heard that Chicago is the only place to get real italian beef sandwiches. I will be sure to eat on for ya!! You dont have to twist my arm on that one. One of my favorite places for great Italian beefs is Johnny's in North Ave in Elmwood Park (I think thats the town)

Fran

Mmmm, my mouth is watering in anticipation! ;) Oh, and I like it dipped, with mozz cheese, and pepperocinis. :thumbsup2

For the people concerned about the number of movies that you can fit on a Touch, when ripping the DVDs, consider creating a new template (I use handbrake) that uses a lower resolution. The native iPhone/Touch template is designed for the movies to be stored on the device but still look good when being played on a TV.

I drop the resolution WAY down and it looks perfect on my iPhone and even when I patch it into a TV, it still looks good if the TV isn't that large.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter