Ipod touch- new vs old question for christmas

DisneyJana

Earning My Ears
I am kind of new to the electronics world with my kids and have a question for some of you who know more!

My 9 year old son has the 2nd generation ITOUCH. He loves it.

My 7 year old son wants one for Christmas. I think he is a little young but loves playing games on his brothers!

Now, I see there is a new version of the ITOUCH. IT has a lot more stuff on it and costs quite a bit more. Of course, my older son wants one of those now!!

I found that I could buy the older model through Walmart. DO you think that would be a good idea, or should I just get the new version?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

I would save the money and get the older one.

The new ones have a camera and take video which is why I want one but I don't think that for a 7 and 9 year old its that important.

Maybe if the older one really wants the new generation can his be passed down to the younger one?

The one thing I noticed on the new ones I do not like though is that the external speaker is not as loud as the 3rd gen. May not be a big deal for some but I like that I can listen to mine while hanging out and not need an extra set of speakers.

I have the new one..battery life is fine. I would get the new one, the new features are worth it. Faster processor, nicer display etc.

I have the same question for my DD8. Does the older one not take pictures or movies? That is one of my kids favorite thing to do on my Iphone so she would definitely want that.

What else are the new features on the newer model? Thanks!

I have the same question for my DD8. Does the older one not take pictures or movies? That is one of my kids favorite thing to do on my Iphone so she would definitely want that.

What else are the new features on the newer model? Thanks!
Only the newest Ipod Touch(4th gen) has a camera..granted, it's not going to replace a digital camera but it's fun. You can even use the video camera to make calls with certain apps.

The display is really good and the processor is better- makes the games a better experience. Plus, I think some of the older models wil eventually not be able to take advantage of new software updates.

IF and that's a big IF I were to buy one of these for a young child I'd take a look at the refurbished line on Apple's website.

I am NOT getting the new one for DD 13 because of the camera, I have already caught her putting video on utube and just don't think it is safe at that age you never know when they may slip up and tell where they live or go to school etc. I just don't like the idea of not being able to monitor it, plus I don't want to think my DD would do it but I hear too much about video "sexting" and just don't want to take a chance at 13. Never sure if all the talks have sunk in yet!!:rotfl::rotfl:

If you were going to buy the newest version for a teen (17) for Christmas, how big would you go? Debating upgrading DD17 and wondered whether to get the biggest one for her. Thoughts?

32 GB is enought.. i have tons of apps and music and video on mine and still have place left. For kids younger than 10 its advisiable to do the one without the camera. also its cheaper and excpt for camera the software is the same,

If you were going to buy the newest version for a teen (17) for Christmas, how big would you go? Debating upgrading DD17 and wondered whether to get the biggest one for her. Thoughts?
Depends on how much music she has and does she want to carry her whole music library with her. I wouldn't do the 64 gb only because they are $400. I think either the 8gb or the 32 gb would be fine.

I got the 8gb only because I have an iPhone as well- got the Touch to use places where I can't have my phone. For only $70 more, the 32 gb gives you 4x the storage. This may be better for her if she likes to watch movies or tv shows on the iPod- they take up a lot of room.

Regarding the age of the kid...they are all different. For Christmas last year my cousins(10 and 8 ) got iPod Touches. Both girls take very good care of them. The older one also has a cell phone (that has a camera) and she's been very responsible with that as well. Both with taking care of it and with responsible usage. So, I think you have to know your kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter