Ipod Touch... For kids?

Yes a 6 year old can play many apps, but he can also drop it , loose it and break it. Do you think your 6 year old is responsible enough to carry around $250 without losing it? Also if your are spending $200+ for one toy for a 6 year old how much are you planning on spending when he is a teen? Christmas only get bigger so I would not spend that much for 1 item at his age.

My DD still drop their DSs on occasion by accident at they are 9 and 11.

Denise in MI

If you budget allows for him to break it or loose it with out much thought then go ahead.

My youngest is turning 8 in a couple of weeks and No she does not have her own Ipod Touch. My 12 year old does not even have a Touch. She has her brother's old Nano and is happy with that as he got a touch last Christmas at almost 17.

Personally, I feel that an Ipod touch is not a necessity and for kids that young places them at a higher risk as they can access the internet in many places. Yes, you can "block" Safari but honestly kids can find a way around the blocks. I know someone who just got her young kids netbooks and I find that ridiculous as well.

I do have an Ipod touch as I won it in a drawing at my school because I filled out a survey about transfer students. I allow my youngest to use it when we are in areas where there is no internet access available but otherwise she does not get it. She plays her math game and other things. Ipod touches can be great for kids who do need them but for us, it is not a need.

ETA: Do you really want your 6 year old texting?? I just have a hard time undertsanding this and it is not just you as I know someone personally who allows her younger child to text. It just blows me away as they are learning too young slang and not proper English or writing abilities.

My DD was 6 last Christmas and she asked for one and I did not get it because I thought she was too young. I got the DS instead, and IMO it was a mistake. The DS doesn't get used that much because she doesn't have that many games (at $50 each it's not like we'd just go out and buy a new one for her) but she does take care of it and keep track of it. She is always "stealing" her Father's ipod touch, and he has more movies apps and music on it for her than he does for himself. This year for Christmas she will be getting her own (she is 7) and I think it's fine. We will have rules and limits on it, she will have the internet blocked and she will get it taken away if it interferes with homework or other responsibilities. She is going to be very excited and I am excited too for her to get it. I know the true meaning of Christmas has nothing to do with gifts, but I still love the looks on their faces when they get something they really want on Christmas morning. I enjoy it as much as they do.

OP you know your child, you have to decide what's best for her and how the rules will work for it. What's right for one 6 year old is not always what's right for another. Do what you feel will work best for her and for your family.

I think 6 is way too young. I don't even have one yet, but would love to have one. I'm having a hard time spending the $250 on myself because I'm afraid of breaking it, etc..., so there is no way I would give one to a 6 yr old. You can buy a lot of toys for $250 and I would think a 6 yr old would be more happy seeing all the different gifts vs one expensive gift under the tree. I know my 5 yr old has no concept of what $250 really is, but given the choice of a pile of toys or one small "toy" she most definately would pick the pile. A teenager is going to better understand the value of it.

My kids are 3 and 5 and play aps on my dh's phone, so yes, they know how to use them. They only get to play it though when we are sitting right next to them. To me it's more about the cost than anything. If they were $10 then I'd say yea, go ahead, but at $250 or even refurbed at $150 I feel that is just too much responsibility for a young child.

As far as the technology aspect of it, I think it's a good idea for kids to know how to use the various electronics (computer, phones, netbooks, smartboards, ect...) because electronics are getting more and more advanced everyday and they most likely will have to use them when they get older. However kids can still enjoy and become familiar with these things without having their own.

OP you know your child, you have to decide what's best for her and how the rules will work for it. What's right for one 6 year old is not always what's right for another. Do what you feel will work best for her and for your family.

well said. i feel my boys were responsible enough and if you set your own limits then it is fine. My boys do not personally take them anywhere unless i approve and then they are in my purse. Example: dr. appt.'s etc. They are always on their dresser in their rooms. When other kids come over they are put in my room on my dresser and are not to be used. (this is when we have had the most trouble of them being lost because kids just set them down and move on to something else). My boys were told they were to be put back in their rooms or I would keep them for the week. It has been a great way to teach some responsibility.

My 8 year old son asked for one this year too on his list. Not going to happen. My husband and I disagreed about this actually. I do not believe that an 8 year old is responsible enough to have such an expensive device and honestly I don't even know if he realizes what it is. He just knows a friend has it and thats all that matters. My parents spoiled me, I won't lie - but they would never have spent that kind of money on one gift for me when I was that age. I think todays society is all about buy buy buy the biggest and the best. I just don't think thats what I want to teach my kids.

DS does use our Ipods all the time so I got him a refurbished nano from Apple for $99. And I had a hard time with that even. But its a lot less than $250.

My 7-yo son has my Ipod touch most of the time. He would argue that it is his LOL He hasn't picked up his gameboy since I got it. I'm actually amazed at how fast he has learned to navigate it, and his game skills.

I do, however keep a pretty close eye on it as I don't want it to get lost. I don't let him take it in the bathroom for fear it will end up wet. If he is playing with it sitting in a cart I make sure it ends up in my purse, etc.

Make sure you familiarize yourself with parental controls. I have mentioned that my son spent $175 in 30 minutes on a game that I thought was free. Itunes refunded the money thank GOODNESS. Buy an ITunes card, rather than hooking it to your credit card, and limit access to the internet even if you trust your child.

To protect it I would suggest an OtterBox. I have a friend who has one and it does seem to be the best protection.

One good thing if your child likes a gameboy is that games are MUCH cheaper on the ipod. The first time I told my son that with his birthday money, you can either buy this gameboy game ($20) or get TWENTY apps....well, you can imagine how that went!

BTW, all he wants for Christmas is an Itunes card. We went to our local autism Christmas party and he told Santa himself :thumbsup2

I think that 6 is definatly too young for an Ipod Touch. My almost 9 year old daughter asked for one for christmas and I think even she is still too young for it. Kids spend too much time with electronic gadgets IMO and do not enjoy time just being kids and playing like we did, my kids do have ds's that they just got at 8 and 5 and time on those is limited as is time on the computer and Wii.

My nephew is 4 and has his own iPod touch. Everyone in the family has iPhones and he played on ours all the time. For his birthday he got one and it has all his games and such on it. Just as previous mentioned my brother put the "locks" and such on so that all he can do is play games that are downloaded for him. He doesn't know his password for iTunes so all he can play is what is downloaded.

For us it is great and he has that instead of a DS or a portable gaming system.

Each family is different but for us we have no problem with getting it for him because he is responsible and takes very good care of it!

We got our DD one for her 7th birthday this past July. She loves it and takes very good care of it. She shares an account with me so we have all the same games and her own playlist. (Bonus: She leaves my iPhone alone now!)

FWIW, I bought it refurbished from Apple.com for $149.

DS8 is getting a refurb for Christmas. He's never lost one DS game, and those things are quite tiny. He really enjoys using mine, so we'll see how he handles a bit more responsibility.

My 8yo loses her DS constantly and I have a policy to refuse to look for it. If they are particularly distraught, I will intervene, but if I do find it, I confiscate it. Especially if it was left in a location they insisted it was not.

Amen sister!!! This is TOTALLY my child too! I get soooo mad when she refuses to even look where I've said something is. Never fails. It's right where mommy said, 2 feet in front of her face, and she says she doesn't see it.

My two younger sons are 14 and 17 and both of their ipod touches have cracked screens - they still work but who wants to watch video thru a cracked screen. Ipods are way too fragile imho for a 6 yr old to manage. If you should decide to go ahead, please consider one of those Otter boxes to protect it.

It really depends on your kid. We got my daughter her Game Boy Advanced when she turned 7 - and she's turning 16 next week and she still has it. I'd have bought her a Touch at that age because she's very protective of her toys and she knows if she loses or breaks something, it -will not- be replaced.

A coworker bought her 9 year old a Touch for Christmas with the very specific rules that it is not to be taken to school, and the first time they find it anywhere but in it's case and put away safely, she loses it for a week, then two weeks, then a month, then forever.

It really just depends - are you willing for your child to lose it and teach them a $229 lesson?

My youngest is turning 8 in a couple of weeks and No she does not have her own Ipod Touch. My 12 year old does not even have a Touch. She has her brother's old Nano and is happy with that as he got a touch last Christmas at almost 17.

Personally, I feel that an Ipod touch is not a necessity and for kids that young places them at a higher risk as they can access the internet in many places. Yes, you can "block" Safari but honestly kids can find a way around the blocks. I know someone who just got her young kids netbooks and I find that ridiculous as well.

I do have an Ipod touch as I won it in a drawing at my school because I filled out a survey about transfer students. I allow my youngest to use it when we are in areas where there is no internet access available but otherwise she does not get it. She plays her math game and other things. Ipod touches can be great for kids who do need them but for us, it is not a need.

ETA: Do you really want your 6 year old texting?? I just have a hard time undertsanding this and it is not just you as I know someone personally who allows her younger child to text. It just blows me away as they are learning too young slang and not proper English or writing abilities.

Sorry, but NO, she cannot. Wi-fi has been turned off on my daughter's ipod touch and the safari icon is not even on the touch once wi-fi is disabled. She cannot "find a way around the blocks" because she would need to know the passcode on the parental controls and she does not. So, even if we are in a place with wi-fi she will not be able to access the internet at all.

Also, I don't think anybody said the touch was a "necessity". Neither are the abundance of toys, DS game systems, etc....A touch is just another way to access games, music, and movies....:confused:

I respect each parent's right to determine what is best for their children. In our family, we believe in freedom within limits. To each his own! My daughter will be enjoying her touch come Christmas morning :santa:

I'm on the side of giving them a little technology at a time. These are very expensive and they get bored very quickly at young ages.

mickeymouseclubhouse, I say go for it...As a mom with 3 older teenagers, 19,17, and 15, i would definately have bought them one at that age had the technology been around...Yes, they are breakable, but as long as there are rules to keep it safe, all is good. My kids were always allowed to play video games, watch tv, do all that fun stuff...i rarely had to set limits (sometimes on tv) because as much as they enjoyed it, they also loved being outside, playing lego, being with friends...all my kids are extremely sociable, play/played on travelling sports teams, have jobs....I think that something like an ipod can actually teach responsibility and help with dexterity...At 5 years old, my son could beat every adult on one of our game systems at NHL...his hand eye coordination was crazy, and i know that video games probably helped...

I think with everything there has to be that "within" reason...Have a merry christmas, and believe me when i say, you are going to have just as much fun on the touch!!!!

mickeymouseclubhouse, I say go for it...As a mom with 3 older teenagers, 19,17, and 15, i would definately have bought them one at that age had the technology been around...Yes, they are breakable, but as long as there are rules to keep it safe, all is good. My kids were always allowed to play video games, watch tv, do all that fun stuff...i rarely had to set limits (sometimes on tv) because as much as they enjoyed it, they also loved being outside, playing lego, being with friends...all my kids are extremely sociable, play/played on travelling sports teams, have jobs....I think that something like an ipod can actually teach responsibility and help with dexterity...At 5 years old, my son could beat every adult on one of our game systems at NHL...his hand eye coordination was crazy, and i know that video games probably helped...

I think with everything there has to be that "within" reason...Have a merry christmas, and believe me when i say, you are going to have just as much fun on the touch!!!!

Thanks jakoky... You seem to "get" what I'm saying :goodvibes I had no idea there was such strong feelings on either side about the ipod touch. I just wanted to clarify the misconception that an ipod touch allows unlimited access to the internet. I'm glad to hear that your children are growing into wonderful, well-adjusted adults despite playing video games and watching television (within reason) ;)

I'm not against giving a young child the ipod. I think there are some good points on both sides of the issue. I would however be looking at a refurbished or used one. Right now the Apple website doesn't have any of the 16GB refurb ones left, though. If you decide to purchase, I recommend a big Otterbox case (I think the "defender" is the most protective).

FYI. I did buy the Itouch last night. I got it on Amazon for $205 and it came with a $25 Amazon gift card. So I figured the "true value" to be $167.40 considering I'd be paying 7% sales tax elsewhere. I could not resist that price for a new one. I think I'm leaning towards giving it to her, but we'll see.

Thanks to those who recommended Otterbox, I just bought one for DH for Christmas... He had one from Five Below, and I know it won't protect it as well as Otterbox.

FYI. I did buy the Itouch last night. I got it on Amazon for $205 and it came with a $25 Amazon gift card. So I figured the "true value" to be $167.40 considering I'd be paying 7% sales tax elsewhere. I could not resist that price for a new one. I think I'm leaning towards giving it to her, but we'll see.

Thanks to those who recommended Otterbox, I just bought one for DH for Christmas... He had one from Five Below, and I know it won't protect it as well as Otterbox.

:cool1:
I got mine from Amazon too for $199 with a $25 gift card. Great price! Gotta love Amazon!

I'm sure your daughter and your family will enjoy your new touch! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter