Ipod Touch... For kids?

smkiya

<font color=deeppink>Sorta new. ;) Still gets a ta
I need to make a decision tonight about the Ipod Touch. Do you think 6 is too young? I found lots of kid educational apps, we have Netflix, dd wanted a phone (no) but with itouch you can text. I keep going back and forth about this, and dh is no help. DD wizzes through dh's iphone and laptop so she is definitely not technology challenged, but I just don't know... :confused3

My boys ages 4 and 7 both have ipod touches. they have had them for a year now so they were 3 and 6. they both know how to work them way better then i do. they have some games and some disney shows on them. we figured instead of nintendo ds's we would get them touches since you can do more then just games with them.
they love them and have learned alot about responsibility with them.
good luck!!

To me, yes. I have a DD6 and I cannot imagine her having an iPod. I don't even have one. She doesn't have a Nintendo DS either, and I'm not racing out to buy them. She does have the ClickStart (computer-type game on TV), but I didn't buy it. And we just picked up the Tag reading system to help her and her brother (DS4) with reading.

Here's my reasoning: technology is everywhere. It's not going anywhere. But kids are only kids for so long, and I don't want mine staring at little screens with earphones instead of living life. I don't mind at all what other people do for their kids; it's their choice. I honestly wish I didn't have a cell phone; it's on my in-laws plan and I use it as a clock more than anything. I don't need to be reached all the time, but it can come in handy in emergencies I suppose.

I will add that I think handheld technology is leading to our society racing through life. It's getting more stressful the more we try to do all at once... Anyway, you asked for opinions and this is mine. So, please no flames. Like we say a lot of here, to each their own.

No, I don't. DD7 is getting the 4th generation ipod touch for Christmas. We have set up parental controls and she cannot access safari, you tube, face time, independently downloading apps, etc, etc. So basically all she can do is play the apps/music we download for her :thumbsup2 There are some great educational apps plus good old plain fun ones!

My daughter attends a montessori elementary school and much of her learning is through hands on materials all day long. She is an avid reader of books and she also studies and practices piano every.single.day.
So, why not allow her a little entertainment? :goodvibes

Besides, IMO, like it or not, technology will only get more advanced as time goes on and I'd rather my daughter be introduced to it at an age where I can essentially limit and oversee her before she accesses it on her own later in a much more unsupervised manner.

Good luck with your decision!:flower3:

To me, yes. I have a DD6 and I cannot imagine her having an iPod. I don't even have one. She doesn't have a Nintendo DS either, and I'm not racing out to buy them. She does have the ClickStart (computer-type game on TV), but I didn't buy it. And we just picked up the Tag reading system to help her and her brother (DS4) with reading.

Here's my reasoning: technology is everywhere. It's not going anywhere. But kids are only kids for so long, and I don't want mine staring at little screens with earphones instead of living life. I don't mind at all what other people do for their kids; it's their choice. I honestly wish I didn't have a cell phone; it's on my in-laws plan and I use it as a clock more than anything. I don't need to be reached all the time, but it can come in handy in emergencies I suppose.

Anyway, you asked for opinions and this is mine. So, please no flames. Like we say a lot of here, to each their own.

I value all opinions, and thank you for sharing yours. I understand your point, and my hesitation has something to do with what you suggest. My dd does have a DS and uses a laptop, though we do not allow her to immerse herself in them nor does she choose too. Her technology time is supervised as is play time. She plays outside quite a bit (bike riding, trampoline, scooter) and her friends come inside quite often to play tea party, LPS, school, etc.

This is such a big expense, I'll be doing OT this week to pay for it and I don't want to be disappointed.

My DD7 has an iPod and loves it. We got her one for her birthday because she kept using mine and my husband's. We even went to the Disney online store and created her a custom Little Mermaid skin to put on it.

She mainly uses it in the car or if we are in the waiting room at her brother's physical therapy sessions. We are getting her a docking station for her room as a Christmas gift because she loves to sing and dance. She also pretends her Barbies are having a concert, or that she is in the car driving her dolls around listening to the music like we do. I see nothing wrong with her using music in her imaginative play. She has other electronic equipment like a television and DVD player in her room and a Wii. We don't allow her to spend all her time consumed by these things, but the truth is we haven't really had to regulate her because she is naturally active in other things like sports, imaginative play, she plays the drums, she has an after school activity once a week, she reads, and loves art.

I think getting kids used to technology at an early age is a great idea, after all it is all over the place, and they will need to know how to use it in school and in the workforce (when that day comes). Many schools are incorporating 21st Century Learning into their curriculums in order to expose kids to technology, and teach them skills such as keyboarding, learning their way around software, and how to troubleshoot hardware since there isn't always going to be someone around to do it for them. Did you know many schools are beginning to use the iPod touch and cell phones in their curriculums?

I will add that I think handheld technology is leading to our society racing through life. It's getting more stressful the more we try to do all at once... Anyway, you asked for opinions and this is mine. So, please no flames. Like we say a lot of here, to each their own.

No flames here, I agree with you... to an extent. My DS8 is always misplacing his DS games so there is no way I am trusting him with a $200 piece of electronic the size of my phone! I read on this board an 8yr old getting a ipod Nano. It would be lost within hours along with the $$. He listens to his music the old fashion way - I burn him CDs, lol. No, seriously, I bought him a $50 MP3 player this Christmas that will play videos etc without an internet connection and that it is perfect for an 8 year old. Plus he won't have to save up a whole years worth of allowance to replace it if he breaks it.

To me it's not so much the technology - we are house of geeks -- it's the expense and the expectation we set up for our kids (at obscenely young ages, IMHO) that they should have the latest and greatest i-whatever.

Not in this house. We don't have i-anything and plan to keep it that way for awhile. Full disclosure - I carry a Samsung Instinct & a Kindle and type this on a laptop. The kids do not expect any of this to be at their disposal.

To me it's not so much the technology - we are house of geeks -- it's the expense and the expectation we set up for our kids (at obscenely young ages, IMHO) that they should have the latest and greatest i-whatever.

I agree with you as well. I could afford this stuff, but I don't want it right now; maybe later when they are older and sooner if/when they need it for school. (Although I wouldn't mind having an iPad for me; trying to win one b/c I'm too cheap to buy one.) Not sure how they'd do taking care of it, but they do know how to use the computer/mouse quite well.

For XMas, my girl is getting an AG doll, clothes, book, and stocking stuffers. My boy is getting dino train, dino figures, book, and stocking stuffers. I think I could buy them an unlimited amount of things, but they don't need it, know what I mean? They are well loved and cared for, and that's what's important. :)

I need to make a decision tonight about the Ipod Touch. Do you think 6 is too young? I found lots of kid educational apps, we have Netflix, dd wanted a phone (no) but with itouch you can text. I keep going back and forth about this, and dh is no help. DD wizzes through dh's iphone and laptop so she is definitely not technology challenged, but I just don't know... :confused3
My kids are young adults so you can take my opinion for what it is. The opinion of an older generation. Just because your child is a whiz with technology it doesnt mean that she should have an expensive and delicate brand new piece of techno-stuff of her very own. When my kids were younger they got my technology hand me downs. They got the old pc when my husband and I upgraded ours. There first tv was the old tv from our living room. And there first cell phones were our old phones. From a financial standpoint (I assume that's why your asking this question here and not on the family board), I dont think that its a wise expenditure. The ipod touch is too easily broken and too expensive for a six year old.
BTW, I dont think you can text with the ipod touch. You can read and send email if you have a wifi connection. But it doesnt have texting.

I agree with you as well. I could afford this stuff, but I don't want it right now; maybe later when they are older and sooner if/when they need it for school. (Although I wouldn't mind having an iPad for me; trying to win one b/c I'm too cheap to buy one.) Not sure how they'd do taking care of it, but they do know how to use the computer/mouse quite well.

For XMas, my girl is getting an AG doll, clothes, book, and stocking stuffers. My boy is getting dino train, dino figures, book, and stocking stuffers. I think I could buy them an unlimited amount of things, but they don't need it, know what I mean? They are well loved and cared for, and that's what's important. :)

Same here. My DD (turning 9 in 3 weeks) has asked for a cellphone and an iTouch for Christmas. Not going to happen. Yes, I could afford it if I really wanted to but I just don't see any good reason why she should get either of them. She has a DS Lite that she bought for herself 2 years ago (when she was turning 7) and a laptop that her grandparents gave her earlier this year. To me, that's more than enough technology for a 3rd grader. However, if things change and she suddenly has a true need for a phone or an iTouch, then I have no problems getting her either of those items right away.

As it is, she's getting some books, one DS game and a stuffed animal (she asked for) for Christmas..as well as a small manicure set, a book light, and a mini calendar for her stocking....and while I'm sure she would have been thrilled to get a cellphone and iTouch, I'm pretty sure she'll still be very happy with what she's getting.

So for me, yes, a 6 year old does seem a bit young for an iTouch but then I thought mine was too young for a DS at 6 so YMMV.

Helen

I work in a school setting and technology is everywhere which is great, but I think we are putting way to much pressure on our youth. You are trusting them with a very expensive piece of small equipment. They grow up soon enough, let them be kids. I think kids want them just because they see other kids or adults have them. It seems in our community anyway, kids seem to have the I wants" just to "fit" in or appear to be grown up.

I have an 8 yr old and a 9 year old and I would NEVER buy them a $200 piece of equipment. Even Jr. high kids I would have my doubt because then they would take it to school and it would more than likely be stolen.

The choice is yours, but I feel like we are getting too carried away these days with EVERYTHING. Our children think every year everything has to be bigger and better than the next persons (or atleast equal). This ranges from gifts to birthday parties and other holidays.

Whatever happened to getting 1 or 2 small gifts, being appreciative of what we received without the high priced tag.

My kids are young adults so you can take my opinion for what it is. The opinion of an older generation. Just because your child is a whiz with technology it doesnt mean that she should have an expensive and delicate brand new piece of techno-stuff of her very own. When my kids were younger they got my technology hand me downs. They got the old pc when my husband and I upgraded ours. There first tv was the old tv from our living room. And there first cell phones were our old phones. From a financial standpoint (I assume that's why your asking this question here and not on the family board), I dont think that its a wise expenditure. The ipod touch is too easily broken and too expensive for a six year old.
BTW, I dont think you can text with the ipod touch. You can read and send email if you have a wifi connection. But it doesnt have texting.

I personally would not be buying an ipod touch for a 6yr old. My DS got his for his 16th birthday. However, my kids also don't have their own computers, TVs, dvd players, etc., except for my now 17yr old DS, he got a TV and a dvd player for Christmas last year at 16. He got his cell phone at 14. My 13 & 10 year olds have none of these things, and won't for a while. I'm not saying some kids don't need them, but the way our lives are, my kids do not.

This is not to say that my 10 & 13yr olds don't sometimes play with their brother's and dad's ipod touches, they do, but I don't see that they need their own at this age. From a financial perspective, I'm not willing to shell out all that money when every other week one of them can't find their nintendo DS. They eventually always do find them, but it's just the point they are not 100% responsible with their things yet, though once again that's just my kids, I know many kids who are more responsible.

You can text on an ipod touch as long as you have wi-fi. It's an app, not sure if it's a free app or not, but I know my DS has it on his.

FWIW, I'm not buying my 6 year old an ipod touch. She'd probably love one but it's too expensive of a "toy" for her. I'm not dissing people that have purchased them for their kids, just not gonna happen at my house.

Thanks to all who responded. I have taken everything everyone has said into consideration. I still just don't know :confused: I will probably purchase it, but whether I keep it for myself and allow her to "share" it with me, or gift it to her for Christmas... I don't know.

6 is way to young IMO.

This is the age where they still enjoy toys - if you buy this now then what do you buy them later :confused3

We got our DD one for her 7th birthday this past July. She loves it and takes very good care of it. She shares an account with me so we have all the same games and her own playlist. (Bonus: She leaves my iPhone alone now!)

FWIW, I bought it refurbished from Apple.com for $149.

My son has enjoyed playing with an iTouch and an Iphone since about 2.5. He doesn't own one, mind you. These are daddy's gadgets. So, yes, I do feel a 6yo could enjoy one. I'm not sure it is a wise decision to get them their own personal iTouch though. It is an expensive device that can get damaged easily.

We keep the gadgets out of reach and they are special privileges right now. The girls, 10 and 8, are quite content with their DS's, they like the iTouch as a special treat to watch their own movie in the van for example on a trip.

I can see your logic, we just wouldn't make the decision to buy them their own.

FWIW--my husband LOVES gadgets...and we are stretching the limit as long as possible on when to buy them particular gadgets. My son can play a DS, but he will not get one before he is 6. The ability to play a device doesn't mean that one is responsible enough to own and take care of said device.

My 8yo loses her DS constantly and I have a policy to refuse to look for it. If they are particularly distraught, I will intervene, but if I do find it, I confiscate it. Especially if it was left in a location they insisted it was not.

DD14 got an iTouch when she graduated middle school, she was 13. Both my girls do have cell phones, they got them last year as Christmas gifts. At the time we had AP's to DLR and we were there at least once a month, it was a great way to let them do their thing and still be able to reach them without problems. It's also sort of necessary here as we have no home phone and the girls needed a way to get ahold of me in emergencies. DD11 wants a touch very badly, but she also knows that's not likely to happen until she's done with middle school, she's OK with that most of the time. :)
Personally I don't feel that kids need these expensive electronics so early. Sure they are great to keep them occupied but I agree with the PP, I'd rather have my kids do things other then just play with electronics. OP I'm not saying you (or anyone else who posted here that their younger kids have touches) wouldn't let your kid play outside or do other activities, I'm just saying that I agree with the other person who said they didn't want their kids buried in electronics all the time. :)
Good luck with your decision, it's a hard one!

I wouldn't, but that's me. I don't even have one. I have a classic.

My kids were pretty young when Grandpa bought them ds's. Yep, they both got broken and so did the personal dvd players he bought them. I could not be on top of them everytime they used them.

DD15 got her first ipod at 12 and now ds11 inheirited it. DD15 got a touch when she bought it with her birthday money. DD was 12 when she got her first phone and it was a hand me down. DS11 still does not have one. He can't keep track of his hat and gloves, let alone expensive phones and ipods.

I love gadgets, love my ipod and am looking forward to using the ereader that I am getting for Christmas, but I don't think kids need every bit of technology. My kids are pretty dang spoiled as it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter