iPod Questions? Maybe you can find your answer here!

Dr. Lomayn Newdell

Official DIS Investigative Reporter
It’s been forever since I’ve posted, but with all of the talk and threads about iPods, and with the iPod topping a lot of Christmas wish lists, I thought I’d come out of hiding, do a little digging, and put together a comparison of the different models available.

First let me say that I may be a bit biased toward the iPod over other mp3 players. I have been a user of Apple’s computers for the last… well, forever, and an iPod user for the last 3+ years. I’ve got nothing against any of the players made by Creative, Sony, Samsung, or the host of other manufacturers, but I know very little about them, and would not feel comfortable making any recommendations about them one way or the other. Perhaps someone with experience with the other brands could speak up and give their input!

The good Dr.’s guide to the iPod

What is an iPod?
iPod is a family name for digital music players made by Apple Computer. There are currently 3 different models in production, the iPod shuffle, iPod nano, and the iPod. All versions play music that is synced from your computer via Apple’s free iTunes software. The nano and regular iPod have additional features listed below.

What kinds of music work on my iPod?
The iPod can play numerous types of digitally compressed music including mp3, ACC, Apple Lossless, wav, aiff, and audible formats. Music can be added from your existing CD collection, mp3 files already on your computer, or purchased from the iTunes music store. iPods DO NOT work with music subscription services like Napster To Go, nor do they play wma files.

How much music do they hold?
Approximate conversion: 1GB of storage equates to 240 songs.
iPod shuffle (512MB) = 120 songs
iPod shuffle (1GB) = 240 songs
iPod nano (2GB) = 500 songs
iPod nano (4GB) = 1,000 songs
iPod (30GB) = 7,500 songs
iPod (60GB) = 15,000 songs

How can I listen to my music?
The iPod comes with basic headphones called ‘earbuds’. There are also dozens of adaptors available to connect your iPod to virtually any type of stereo. Cassette adaptors and FM transmitters for your car, portable speaker systems from JBL, Bose, and Altec Lansing to share your music anywhere. There are over 1000 various accessories made exclusively for the iPod.

They’re so small, are they fragile?
The shuffle and the nano are both flash memory based. They contain no moving parts and are great for exercising, but you do need to take care to keep from scratching the nano and regular iPod screens, putting then in the same pocket with your keys or a bunch of change is not recommended. The newer models may be supplied with a protective case, if not, it is highly recommended that you get one. (I’ve had my regular iPod for over 3 years, and my shuffle since they debuted, with no problems.) There are reports on the web about a shuffle that went through the washer and dryer 3 times and still works fine… Another website tested the nano by dropping it from 3 feet and 6 feet, dropping it from a moving bike at 10 miles per hour, a moving car at 30 and 50 miles per hour (still working at this point but the screen cracked) and finally running it over with the car, TWICE. It still played but the screen was broken. It was finally done in by throwing it as high and far as the “tester” could chuck it.

Will it work with my computer?
You need to be running Mac OSX or Windows 2000/XP. All current models connect via USB 2 for charging and syncing. If you do not have USB 2, you can still sync via USB 1, but it will be rather slow and you will need an external charger.

How much do they cost?
Below you can find a picture and price comparison of the current iPod models. Prices listed are Apples suggested retail price, however, you can generally find slightly lower prices at Amazon.com or elsewhere on the web. If buying online be sure that you get the model that you are really looking for! Amazon and many brick and mortar stores still have several older models that do not have all the features of the current crop. If you do not need or want the newest model, chances are you can get a great deal on the older versions.

The iPod shuffle

indexwithgum20050120.jpg

2 versions available:

iPod shuffle 512MB
Cost $99
Holds approx. 120 songs

iPod shuffle 1GB
Cost $129
Holds approx. 240 songs

Capabilities: Music & Data Storage

Size: 3.3” x 0.98” x 0.33” inches. No Display.

The good and bad: Ultra small, lightweight, doubles as a flash drive for transferring files between computers. No screen can make navigation difficult. Great as an entry level music player, especially for younger kids.

Click here for full shuffle Specs

The iPod nano

indexcompare20050907.jpg
step1_ipodnano_black.jpg

4 versions available:

iPod nano 2GB (available in black or white)
Cost $199
Holds approx. 500 songs

iPod nano 4GB (available in black or white)
Cost $249
Holds approx. 1000 songs

Capabilities: Music, podcast, and audiobook playback. Stores and displays up to 25,000 photos. Also syncs contacts, calendars and to-do lists.

Size: 3.5” x 1.6” x 0.27” inches and 1.5 ounces with 1.5-inch color LCD display

The good and bad: Small, lightweight, very easy to navigate. Black models tend to show scratches. More expensive than the shuffle, better suited to someone that you can trust will take care of the device.

Click here for full nano Specs

The iPod

indexfrontside20051011.gif
heroshot_ipod_black.jpg

(Note- The black and white versions are the same size, the above images are not properly sized)

4 versions available:

iPod 30GB (available in black or white)
Cost $299
Holds approx. 7,500 songs
Size: 2.4” x 4.1” x 0.43” 4.8 ounces with 2.5-inch color LCD display

iPod 60GB (available in black or white)
Cost $399
Holds approx. 15,000 songs
Size: 2.4” x 4.1” x 0.55” 5.5 ounces with 2.5-inch color LCD display

Capabilities: Music, podcast, and audiobook playback. Stores up to 25,000 photos. Has video playback capabilities on the iPod itself, may also be connected to an external video source to play video and photo slideshow presentations with music. Also syncs contacts, calendars and to-do lists. Able to download photos directly from some digital cameras (with an optional connector).

The good and bad: Relatively small, lightweight, very easy to navigate, surprisingly bright full color screen. Ability to play video files. Very large storage capacities. Again, black models tend to show scratches. Good for people with large music collections and lots of digital files that they want to keep portable, and for those that want the latest and greatest techie gadgets.

Click here for full iPod Specs

For comparisons sake here are some of the older models that may still be available for purchase. (Image sizes are not to scale)

B000932AKQ.01-A1PY46IM1CBEG3._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Apple 20 GB iPod Photo
(Model MA079LL/A)

B000932AKQ.01-A1PY46IM1CBEG3._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Apple 60 GB iPod Photo
(Model M9830LL/A)

B0006HTPQ2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Apple 4 GB iPod mini Silver
(Model M9800LL/A)
May also be available in blue, green, and pink and in 4 GB and 6 GB sizes.

iTunes Software
If you are even considering purchasing an iPod for Christmas (or otherwise) I would suggest downloading the free iTunes Software from Apple just to play around with. Check out the capabilities and features. Try importing a few CDs and see what you think. If you decide to get an iPod, you’re already 75% done with your set-up, all you’ll need to do is connect your new “toy” and sync your music! Even if you never get an iPod, the program is top notch as a music & video jukebox player.

Other Stuff
If you already have an iPod or know someone that does, there are 100’s of add-ons for the devices that would make a wonderful gift. Cases, FM transmitters, external speakers, audio recording microphones, even music gift cards for the iTunes store. Just make sure you know what model you or your intended recipient has, as not all add-ons are compatible with all models.

During the last 2 holiday buying seasons the iPods have been in fairly short supply, if you’re planning to get one, you may want to get it sooner rather than later. (I waited nearly 3 months for a pink iPod mini for my daughter!)

For more info you can check out the following links to iPod specific websites and discussion forums.

Apple Computer
The iPod Lounge
iPod News Network
iPod Garage

Take the above info for what you will. As I said, I am an admitted Apple/Mac/iPod geek and hopefully this will help at least one person decide if the iPod is the right or wrong choice for them.

My fingers are tired now.

This is a great resource! Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

DH just got an iPod nano for his birthday. He is looking to get an adapter so he can play it in his car. Do you recommend the kind that plugs into the cigarette lighter or the kind that uses cables?

Also, I’ve noticed that most of the in-home accessories (like speakers) are for the regular iPod. Do you know if they plan to release some for the nano too?

If he’s looking to play the music through the radio, this should do the trick. nano FM transmitter

I’m not sure if it has been officially released for sale yet, but I’ve had the best experience with the Griffin transmitters. Some of the cheaper ones do not offer all that great of sound quality. From what I can gather, this model allows you to plug your power cord into the bottom of the unit (use with link below) so you don’t have to worry about running out of juice on long trips.

If you’re just looking to power the iPod and still listen through the earbuds, this will work. iPod Auto Charger

Since the nano is still pretty new, and Apple changed the port configurations, it will take a bit of time for the accessory makers to catch up, but they certainly will! Altec Lansing says that some of their portables are compatible with the nano, but I’d check one out in person to make sure.

Thank you SO much!
Now just to find a mini in stock for my 11 year old!
Of course she is SET on the mini cuz that is what the other kids have! :rolleyes:

Can someone explain the music choices? Obtaining music, I mean....assuming you don't already have it on cd....

I heard there were 2 choices....paying $12.95/month for unlimited downloads or paying around $1 per song. Is this true for iPods or is this only other MP3 players?

DH is getting some kind of player for Christmas....we're just starting to research and determine which one. With his wide ranging tastes in music (from the ridiculous to the sublime and back again) he could easily download a couple thousand songs in a week, so I'm thinking I need whichever one is the $12.95/month for unlimited downloads...... :crazy:

Katie, you are correct. There are a couple of options for obtaining music aside from transferring songs from your CD collection.

There are services like Napster, Yahoo, and Real that have subscription services, Apple does not. You are allowed unlimited downloads and you can transfer that music to certain portable players (NOT the iPod) as long as you keep paying your monthly fees. If you stop paying that fee, say goodbye to all of that music. It is only yours as long as you maintain that subscription. It’s a good way to go if you like a wide variety of music and always want to make sure to have a fresh batch of tunes to listen to. You have to weigh whether your $155 in yearly subscription fees are worth it to basically own nothing, or if you would rather have 155 digital songs you own, or for the sake of argument, 8-10 physical CDs

You can also opt to purchase your songs for about $1 each and you then own (per the individual download services EUL agreements) that particular song. The only download service compatible with the iPod is iTunes. There are quite a few services like Napster, Real, Walmart, Yahoo, and Sony that are compatible with players from other player makers like Rio, Creative, and Dell.

Research is everything when it comes to choosing your music player and download service. Once you commit and invest considerable $$$ into your choice, it makes it more difficult to switch down the road.

Dr. Lomayn Newdell said:
Katie, you are correct. There are a couple of options for obtaining music aside from transferring songs from your CD collection.

There are services like Napster, Yahoo, and Real that have subscription services, Apple does not. You are allowed unlimited downloads and you can transfer that music to certain portable players (NOT the iPod) as long as you keep paying your monthly fees. If you stop paying that fee, say goodbye to all of that music. It is only yours as long as you maintain that subscription. It’s a good way to go if you like a wide variety of music and always want to make sure to have a fresh batch of tunes to listen to. You have to weigh whether your $155 in yearly subscription fees are worth it to basically own nothing, or if you would rather have 155 digital songs you own, or for the sake of argument, 8-10 physical CDs

You can also opt to purchase your songs for about $1 each and you then own (per the individual download services EUL agreements) that particular song. The only download service compatible with the iPod is iTunes. There are quite a few services like Napster, Real, Walmart, Yahoo, and Sony that are compatible with players from other player makers like Rio, Creative, and Dell.

Research is everything when it comes to choosing your music player and download service. Once you commit and invest considerable $$$ into your choice, it makes it more difficult to switch down the road.
See, DH would spend more than $155 the first week, and again the next week, and again the next! :faint: When we finally dumped all his tapes and such, we sold well over 1000 tapes/albums...and he would love to listen to them all still today! Plus everything he's added since then!!! And he loves to just explore new music/genres/bands/etc all the time. Ugh. So I guess we should look at others besides the iPod since it's not compatible with the subscription services....more research! (and will check out the iTunes service just to cover all the bases...)

Thanks for the info! Anyone want to start one of the threads about the rest of the portable music players?!? Pretty please! :teeth:

Acknowledging that the original poster of this thread stated that they are most informed of ipod products, I have to put in my two cents for my Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 60 GB MP3 Jukebox. (I'm not trying to hyjack the thread)

I have been using mine now for eleven months and I think it's the greatest. Yes, it's a little larger than the ipod's but I'm okay with that. It's still fits in a shirt pocket fine and that's with the case on it.

I have more music on it than I could probably listen to in probably two weeks time, non-stop. Plus, FIVE unabriged audio books. The books run from 18 to 28 hours each.

At this point I still have at least eighty-two percent of the memory still unused!

Don't need that much storage space? Perfectly understandable. I like it because no matter where I go, I have yet to say, "Dang! I left that (insert title here) at home!"

I've also recently discovered the wonderfulness of Wal-Mart music downloads! Eighty-Eight cents each! And most times you can download the entire "album" (okay, CD) for $9.44. I may never buy another CD again!

My Zen cost $290 at the time I bought it. A little more than most ipods I've seen but SO much more space.

(((Steps down off of soapbox)))
Thank you for your time.

Bumping for the Christmas questions I found the answers to!

Great Info!

I have a question and I need a real simple answer - so Doc, help me out here. :)

I have a 30G video iPod. I have two computers with iTunes and tons of songs on each. My main computer is automatically synced to the iPod. When I try and sync it to my other, it wants to replace my music, not add to the existing library.

Can you or someone give me easy to follow directions on how to add to my library (IOW, sync to two iTunes' libraries)? Or point me in the right direction? Thanks so much!

I have a question and I need a real simple answer - so Doc, help me out here. :)

I have a 30G video iPod. I have two computers with iTunes and tons of songs on each. My main computer is automatically synced to the iPod. When I try and sync it to my other, it wants to replace my music, not add to the existing library.

Can you or someone give me easy to follow directions on how to add to my library (IOW, sync to two iTunes' libraries)? Or point me in the right direction? Thanks so much!

you need to set your iTunes option to Manual Mode, then you can work with multiple libraries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter