ipod is sad :(

MedCruise07

Mouseketeer
My 16-year-old's beloved ipod video, which she's had for 3+ years and which has accompanied her to camp, summer school, several family road trips, plus almost daily walks with the dog, is sad. We have followed the directions on the apple website for dealing with the sad face but ipod is not completely better. Tonight, I took ipod to the apple store, and the diagnosis was a likely hard drive problem. Which apple does not fix (but they'd be happy to sell us a new one).

Ideas about what to do next? DD does not want a new ipod but I don't know how to go about getting hers fixed. Does anyone know of a reputable place that will repair an ipod video?

Do you happen to have an apple store nearby? The Genius bar would be a good place to start.

This past October, DH's 3-4 yr old iPod got the dreaded sad face... apparently the hard drive crashed. There wasn't anything they could do at the store... now... YMMV... the guy before us had the sad face and they could fix it (not sure what the problem was, though). DH, through lots of internet searches, did find out that w/ older iPods you can replace the hard drive... we weren't successful (yet) but anyway... sorry that your DD's iPod is sick... it stinks.

You can always hope to get a refurbished ipod from apple's webpage...

OP, sorry... apparently I couldn't read earlier... somehow I missed that you'd already taken it to the store. I suggest looking online specifically for fixing ipod hard drive... if I remember correctly, it ended up being fairly technologically written... you don't by any chance have an apple-authorized store near you (that isn't an apple store)- we have a "PeachMac" store in Athens, Ga... that's where we got some advice... My DH is in Bejing right now, so I can't really contact him for another day or so (his flight doesn't land until tomorrow morning EST, but there it will be late that night...)

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I had to google it. LOL, I just got one for the first time, had no idea they could be sad. My guess is you will have to replace it, but good luck! I hope you can find someone to cheer it up.

Does you DD not want to get a new iPod because she's afraid of losing all her songs? Either way, if she does somehow get it fixed, it'll be all gone. When a cranky old man broke mine, the Apple people said it'll be about $150 to fix, so it seemed like it be a better idea to update my also 3 yo iPod.

Good luck whatever you decide. :)

You can buy a tool to open it. All the iPod is, is a hard drive with a user interface. If you buy a laptop size hard drive and the tool, you can replace the case. But you'll lose all your songs.

If you do decide to buy a new one, Apple gives credit towards it, you can sell it on ebay (yes, even broken - just be sure to note that it is broken in visible letters) or you can sell it to a recycling place. Please do not throw it away. Electronics should never be thrown away (this includes keyboards and mice too).

You can buy a tool to open it. All the iPod is, is a hard drive with a user interface. If you buy a laptop size hard drive and the tool, you can replace the case. But you'll lose all your songs.

If you do decide to buy a new one, Apple gives credit towards it, you can sell it on ebay (yes, even broken - just be sure to note that it is broken in visible letters) or you can sell it to a recycling place. Please do not throw it away. Electronics should never be thrown away (this includes keyboards and mice too).

Be careful about this. You can buy replacement hard drives for iPods, but they are not the same size as regular laptop hard drives.

Desktops use 3.5" hard drives
Laptops use (generally) 2.5" hard drives
iPod hard drives for the iPod video are 1.8"

If you want to look into replacing the iPod hard drive yourself, search for a specialty company on the internet that does this sort of thing, don't just try to get a laptop hard drive from Staples or Best Buy.

My beloved mini ipod had the same sad face last month after years of use. I turned it in and got the new itouch - they gave me 10% off. I love my new itouch, must still miss my pretty pink ipod.

The songs should still be on the computer you loaded ITunes on.
That's what I was going to say... I've been through 3 IPODS, and I still have the same playlists.

Now...when my laptop crashed.....THEN I lost all 15000 songs :headache:

That's what I was going to say... I've been through 3 IPODS, and I still have the same playlists.

Now...when my laptop crashed.....THEN I lost all 15000 songs :headache:

That's something that happened once to me and won't happen again, since I now take a backup on DVD once in a while! :)

OP, sorry for the iPod. During a summer job at an electronics store, I learned that repairing gadgets like that usually turns out more expensive than buying a new one. That sucks, but unfortunately, we live in a society where we replace instead of repair.

That's something that happened once to me and won't happen again, since I now take a backup on DVD once in a while! :)

OP, sorry for the iPod. During a summer job at an electronics store, I learned that repairing gadgets like that usually turns out more expensive than buying a new one. That sucks, but unfortunately, we live in a society where we replace instead of repair.
I went out and bought a 300 gig external hard drive:thumbsup2

Yep, just remember to deauthorize the recently departed. I had my external crash and let me tell you, it was nearly impossible to reestablish my library.

I'm just about to buy an Imac...the amount of refurbs on the site is economical and covered by Apple.

Enjoy!

I went out and bought a 300 gig external hard drive:thumbsup2

I had an external hard disk from work, because our laptops are old (will be getting new ones), disks were crashing down and the hard disks weren't that big to begin with.
So, external drive + laptop are in same laptop case => I get robbed in the street, laptop case stolen, veerything gone :rolleyes:

Now I have DVDs at home with backups of data I don't want to loose (don't care that much about work documents, do care about all my embroidery files + Disney stuff! one has to set her priorities, right?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter