• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

iphone - what do I need to know?

laughinplace199

<font color=blue>AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs<br><
DD13 is getting an iphone. I don't have one (I have a droid), so any tips on what I need to know or do would be appreciated.

For example, I remember reading stories about people who lost or had the iphones stolen. Apparently, there is some type of "find my iphone" app out there, which sounds like a good idea. Is it?

Are there other things like this that I should know about?

TIA! :goodvibes

DD13 is getting an iphone. I don't have one (I have a droid), so any tips on what I need to know or do would be appreciated.

For example, I remember reading stories about people who lost or had the iphones stolen. Apparently, there is some type of "find my iphone" app out there, which sounds like a good idea. Is it?

Are there other things like this that I should know about?

TIA! :goodvibes

Those "find my phone" apps are useless. I had the app, and in the end it does nothing if your phone is powered off. All the thief has to do is take out the SIM card in the back and power down the phone, and your phone will never be traced. If the thief really wants your phone, there's always a way to prevent it from being traced.

Thank you. That's just the kind of advice/info I'm looking for. :thumbsup2

If anyone else had any ipohne advice (especially if you have teenagers), I'd love to hear it.

The data plan is at least $30.00 a month and you have to take it with iPhone. If you want texting that's extra

If you are in a wifi zone and the other party has an iPhone you can exchange messages without charge.

The data plan is at least $30.00 a month and you have to take it with iPhone. If you want texting that's extra

If you are in a wifi zone and the other party has an iPhone you can exchange messages without charge.

I do not pay extra for texting.

I would get a protective case of some type & I would also consider insurance if your carrier offers it.

Get her an OtterBox case for it. They aren't cheap ($30 or so) but if she drops the phone it will be OK. We all have OtterBoxes on our Apple products.

Thanks. I stopped in to my Verizon store and talked to them, so I'm prepared for how much my bill will be going up. :faint:

Great advice on the Otterbox. I know she'll need some kind of case for it and didn't know what to get. :thumbsup2

Those "find my phone" apps are useless. I had the app, and in the end it does nothing if your phone is powered off. All the thief has to do is take out the SIM card in the back and power down the phone, and your phone will never be traced. If the thief really wants your phone, there's always a way to prevent it from being traced.

Sounds like OP has Verizon, so this will not be an issue for them, plus to fully disable the trace, you'd need to delete the Mobile Me account from the phone, which if your phone is locked (like it should be), this would be difficult to do (just swapping SIM cards doesn't unlock the phone).

As for Find My Phone, you can enable this feature on the iPhone and if you have it set-up with an iTunes account, you can login from any mobile or PC and find where the phone is as long as it's powered on.

Sounds like OP has Verizon, so this will not be an issue for them, plus to fully disable the trace, you'd need to delete the Mobile Me account from the phone, which if your phone is locked (like it should be), this would be difficult to do (just swapping SIM cards doesn't unlock the phone).

As for Find My Phone, you can enable this feature on the iPhone and if you have it set-up with an iTunes account, you can login from any mobile or PC and find where the phone is as long as it's powered on.

Yes, we do have Verizon. Thank you so much for this info. DD is a pretty responsible kid, but you never know.

Currently we share an itunes account because we just have ipods (and I seldom use mine), but I think now I will set DD up with her own itunes acct.

Another vote for Otter Box. Not cheap, but the protection it provides is well worth it. PS: Your DD will love the phone, you'll be wanting one before the end of the year.:)

Another vote for Otter Box. Not cheap, but the protection it provides is well worth it. PS: Your DD will love the phone, you'll be wanting one before the end of the year.:)

I'm sure you're right - I'm already jealous. DD wouldn't even be getting a new phone right now but her grandpa wanted to get her an iphone because "she's such a good kid." Funny, I'm not sure he felt that way about me when I was a kid. I must be doing something right. :rotfl2:

Well that teaches me to listen to an AT&T salesman. I got incomplete info. When I we traded from an iPhone 3G to a 4s he took the SIM card out of the 3G saying the 4s doesn't use one. What he failed to say was the 4s uses a micro SIM card.

The sales ppl at the AT&T stores are usually useless when it comes to iPhone knowledge. They educate themselves very little on them since once they sell them they are done with them. They don't do any of the servicing or repairs. That being said, if anything ever happens to your DD phone, don't bother calling AT&T. Just make an appt with an Apple store and have them service it. Also get the warranty. It's worth it. Also, she might want to do a lock screen passcode on it when she gets it so that if she does lose it or it's stolen it will be harder for whoever gets their hands on it to get into it. Those find my phone apps definitely are useless. I can't really think of anything else. iPhones are great!

Another vote for the Otterbox case. We ordered ours from Amazon online and they are much cheaper than buying them at a retail store

My family shares an iTunes account so that we only have to buy apps one time and they can be shared between our iPhones and the kids iPod touches. The accounts for messaging, iCloud, find my phone, etc are separate from the iTunes account.

Hope that helps!

Geez, I didn't get an iPhone until I turned 40...DH still doesn't think I need it but my mom bought it for me. :) I do love it though!!

I echo get an Otterbox, but get the Defender or at least the Reflex or whatever the one a step down from the Defender is. I have the Reflex, and fumble fingered it a few times over last winter, dropping it on our kitchen floor from counter height, and TOTALLY shattered the back glass. I went to remove the case and it kept catching, and the back was full of glass splinters. The Apple store was able to replace the back for only $30, but I'm MUCH more careful now about dropping it. I think Lifeproof cases are waterproof to a certain depth, but I don't believe Otterboxes are...I know mine isn't.

I would not set her up with her own itunes account...yes, she's a "good kid", but you want to keep tabs on what she's downloading and installing. Keep it on yours, and then you'll get a copy of any app she installs (and you can always just delete them from your iPod).

Another vote for the Otterbox case. We ordered ours from Amazon online and they are much cheaper than buying them at a retail store

My family shares an iTunes account so that we only have to buy apps one time and they can be shared between our iPhones and the kids iPod touches. The accounts for messaging, iCloud, find my phone, etc are separate from the iTunes account.

Hope that helps!

So when you add new songs and sync your ipod, do you have to manually check off the songs that you want so you don't get your kids songs or vice versa?

Make sure she sets up an Icloud account and uses it to back up her contacts, photos, etc.

Dd's iphone lasted all of three months and died with no hope of resurrection. They gave her a new one, no problem. But everything on it was gone, baby, gone. Lots of tears over the loss of her photos, etc.

She NOW has Icloud set up and wishes she had listened to her mother earlier.

I use the "Find my iPhone" app on both my iPhone and my iPad and it works great. Even if the iPhone or iPad is turned off or on silent it will send out an beeping signal so I can find it. It will also show me on a map where the device is. If someone else finds the device you can have it show a pop up message with your contact information, or if you feel it has been stolen you can complete disable the device so no one else can use it.

Since you are on Verizon you will not have an unlimited data plan, so make sure she sets the phone to wifi when available so she doesn't go through her data allotment. If you don't have wifi it is a good idea to download any apps or updates to the computer in iTunes and then connect the phone with the usb cord.

They have a special plan for iPhones now, I think it's called Applecare Plus? It started with the 4s. Basically, if you drop your phone, run over it, whatever, you can get it replaced two times no questions asked.

We both went for that one. And yes, I almost ran over my phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter