iPhone - so confused!

kpadalik

DIS Veteran
Help! Help! Help! I know there is an iPhone thread on here about apps and such. I can't read through over 600 :eek: posts. I'm finally getting an iPhone, so I am doing little research on the rate plans, phone features, etc. I really don't know a whole lot about the iPhone only b/c I thought I would never want/get it.

So now there is sooooo much stuff to consider. I know that there is the 8G, 16G, and 32G. Do I really need a 16 or 32? 8 sounds like it would be more than enough.

And what's this 3G and 3GS business? Is the S better? How much? And some people are talking about a 3.0 upgrade...huh?:confused3

When I was looking at our rate plans...we have a basic family plan. No text, nothing. It looks like w/ the 8G, I would need the $30 data/internet access plan and $5 for texting? Is this all I am going to need? Or am I going to have to start adding a bunch of different things to my rate plan? And if I'm accessing the internet through the iPhone, does it take away from my plan minutes?

And these apps...do they cost money? I've seen stuff on commercials about facebook and a compass and driving directions, etc. Wouldn't I just be able to access the internet or do I have to have an app for everything I do?

Finally, is it really user-friendly? I've never heard a negative about the iPhone, but there has to be some things people don't like about it. What are some of your favorite and not so favorite things.

I'm so sorry I have a million questions. I know that I would really use the iPhone, but I just don't want to be completely over my head and pay a ton of extra money every month for this iPhone. We only pay $60 bucks a month for our 2-line family talk 450 minutes. We also have employee rate discounts. Someone I know said their bill went from $80/month to almost $200!!!! :scared1:

Thank you sooooooo much :) Hopefully soon I will be a fellow iPhone user!

Come on in, the water's fine!!!

As far as the amount of memory goes, it really depends on how much music and/or video you intend to put on your phone. We have the 16 Gig model and it works pretty well for us. We did have to pare-down our music to the ones we like the best, and neither of us plans on watching much video on it.

But, if I were buying a new one, I'd go with as much memory as I could afford. That would allow for growth in the music library and changes in how we use the phone.

Similarly, go with the new GS version - its faster and has a longer battery life. The "3.0 upgrade" isn't a consideration for you - any new iPhone you buy will have 3.0 (the operating system) on it.

Apps - some are free, some cost money. You can look at them over on the Apple site or in iTunes before you buy your phone. I've got somewhere around 70 apps, my wife only has about 30. Neither of us uses them all - they are just fun to have around. After all, who really needs a lightsaber app? :darth:

Is it really user friendly? Even my technology challenged wife has been heard to exclaim - that was easy, I can do it myself!

OKW - OP here...Thank you. Well I'm thinking that the 8G might be enough for me. I have a 2G iPod and I've never exceeded (even close) to the max. I don't have a lot of music (only a handful of songs), but I do listen to several podcasts (Go DIS!!), including some video ones. I think the only video stuff I would really watch would be if I downloaded a movie or something. But I can delete it once it's been watched.

Is anyone out there using the ipod Touch as a "poor mans" iphone?? Any thoughts?

I have the iTouch, and I love it. I do wish I went all the way for the iPhone, and I may when it's time for me to upgrade. But, when I got the Touch I wasn't near my upgrade point. One of the only things I wish it has is a camera. It would make it so much easier to use the Facebook and similar apps. Currently I have 1 full length movie, about 50 apps and about 300 songs on it. I am not even using 1/4 of the memory with that. I am not the person who is ever going to have 10,000 songs I want to put on. If I can answer any questions, let me know.

Help! Help! Help! I know there is an iPhone thread on here about apps and such. I can't read through over 600 :eek: posts. I'm finally getting an iPhone, so I am doing little research on the rate plans, phone features, etc. I really don't know a whole lot about the iPhone only b/c I thought I would never want/get it.

So now there is sooooo much stuff to consider. I know that there is the 8G, 16G, and 32G. Do I really need a 16 or 32? 8 sounds like it would be more than enough. As far as space goes, that is up to you and your pocketbook. More memory allows you to use your phone as an ipod as well as a phone. I personally have the 8 g because I bought two phones at one time back when they were $200 each. I use my 30 g ipod for music and my iphone for my phone - it would be nice if I didn't have to carry them both but not that much of an inconvenience.

And what's this 3G and 3GS business? Is the S better? How much? And some people are talking about a 3.0 upgrade...huh?:confused3 http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/ This is a really great link that puts the two phones side by side. On the 3GS, the camera is better, it touts improved performance, built-in video camera with editing, voice control, and a compass (but there is app for that ;) ) -- plus there is a difference in the battery (or so Apple says - Pete has a different opinion!) As for the 3.0 upgrade, this link talks about the benefits of the software upgrade which is free with the iPhone. Some "benefits" are not yet available. http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

When I was looking at our rate plans...we have a basic family plan. No text, nothing. It looks like w/ the 8G, I would need the $30 data/internet access plan and $5 for texting? Is this all I am going to need? Or am I going to have to start adding a bunch of different things to my rate plan? And if I'm accessing the internet through the iPhone, does it take away from my plan minutes? Do you have teenagers? Before getting iPhones, we had 2 regular phones on our family plan where we shared 700 minutes and no texting. After getting our iPhones (one for me, one for DH), we added a regular phone for DD15 and unlimited texting because she has more than 5k texts a month. But now that I have unlimited texting, I really enjoying getting facebook updates on my phone that I wouldn't have otherwise sub'd to. The cost of the unlimited texting for families is $30. Each iPhone has to have a $30 data plan. The internet does not affect your plan minutes.

And these apps...do they cost money? I've seen stuff on commercials about facebook and a compass and driving directions, etc. Wouldn't I just be able to access the internet or do I have to have an app for everything I do? Some apps cost money, some are free. That is where the 600+ thread comes in. If you decide to get an iPhone, spend some time reading it because these are people who have already done the research and figured out which apps and products are the very best. Of course there is some fluff along the way (what long Dis thread doesn't have SOME fluff??) but we've been able to keep it on track for the most part. The majority of my apps are free.

Finally, is it really user-friendly? I've never heard a negative about the iPhone, but there has to be some things people don't like about it. What are some of your favorite and not so favorite things. I found the phone to be very user-friendly. When I went in to buy my husband's phone, I wasn't even trying to by an iPhone. I was trying to decide two crackberries - after a 15 min sales pitch on why one phone was better than the other he finally said given everything he just said, he thought the iPhone was the better product. :laughing: I bought two.

I'm so sorry I have a million questions. I know that I would really use the iPhone, but I just don't want to be completely over my head and pay a ton of extra money every month for this iPhone. We only pay $60 bucks a month for our 2-line family talk 450 minutes. We also have employee rate discounts. Someone I know said their bill went from $80/month to almost $200!!!! :scared1: I may have been this person! But I also went from a family plan sharing 700 min to sharing 1400 min, added two iPhones with data, unlimited family texting, and because I have a teenage daughter I also added a Smart Limits to control when she can use her phone.

Thank you sooooooo much :) Hopefully soon I will be a fellow iPhone user!
Good luck with your choice - hope this helps!

rofl. This feels like deja vu for me.

I say you direct all your questions to Kevin. ;)

But now that I have unlimited texting, I really enjoying getting facebook updates on my phone that I wouldn't have otherwise sub'd to

I don't quite understand this...are you saying that to send or receive FB updates, you are required to text?

Other than that, thank you sooo much for all of your help. :goodvibes You answered my questions for sure. I think I'm going to buy the 8G. Like I said, I have a 2G iPOD and only have a few songs on it. Everything else on it is podcasts. Considering I have not come anywhere near maxing out the memory, the 8G will be sufficient, I'm sure. Besides, I am constantly syncing my podcasts - as the new ones come in the old ones are deleted.

I don't have teenagers. And as for texting, I don't text on my phone now, so I will probably rarely do it on the iPhone. I will mostly use it to check email, the DIS, FB, and internet access/apps. It'll be nice to have something to pass the time while I'm waiting at the bus stop to pick up DD!

rofl. This feels like deja vu for me.

I say you direct all your questions to Kevin. ;)

I found the thread you were referencing. I read through the whole thing - it was quite funny!:rotfl2:

I have the iTouch, and I love it. I do wish I went all the way for the iPhone, and I may when it's time for me to upgrade. But, when I got the Touch I wasn't near my upgrade point. One of the only things I wish it has is a camera. It would make it so much easier to use the Facebook and similar apps. Currently I have 1 full length movie, about 50 apps and about 300 songs on it. I am not even using 1/4 of the memory with that. I am not the person who is ever going to have 10,000 songs I want to put on. If I can answer any questions, let me know.

How often do you want to use an online feature and find out there is no wifi around? That would be the most frustrating part for me. But on the other hand, I am at home or work most of the time and have wifi there. And I assume you can still check calenders, tasks, etc... without internet access?

Thanks!

I have a 8G touch and would love the iphone but extra data charges etc annoy me (I am in Canada) so I live with the touch. I have found that most people do not secure their home wireless network so I am able to to use theirs when I am around town - free of charge! I was one of those people who said - what do I need that for when my nano is just fine thank you! Now I think - how can I live with out it? I have 2 movies several video podcasts and 1500 hours of music. I am not full. I mostly get the free apps but have purchased a few. I cannot get a kindle here in Canada, so I have Short Covers - I now read on my itouch all the time! I mostly listen to podcasts and read - hardly ever listen to music anymore - that is shocking to me :scared1:

I love it and wouldn't change it!

How often do you want to use an online feature and find out there is no wifi around? That would be the most frustrating part for me. But on the other hand, I am at home or work most of the time and have wifi there. And I assume you can still check calenders, tasks, etc... without internet access?

Thanks!

Pretty often!! This is why I also continue to use my BlackBerry. You can do many things without WiFi, though (calendar, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter