Iphone access

aj2703

Addicted To Disney
Does anyone know if disney are planning on doing an iphone friendly version of their paris website?.

I'm tempted to say "get a decent phone" :)

Essentially, Disney would have to recreate the entire website, as it's currently written in Flash, which is owned by a company that had a falling out with Apple, hence the lack of support.

I don't know,is the answer to your question, but I do know it would be costly to rebuild.

Can you tell I build websites for a living?

There is a Disneyland Paris app, but I don't think you can book through it.

I don't understand either, wasn't Steve Jobs a major Disney share holder . . . .:confused3

There is a Disneyland Paris app, but I don't think you can book through it.

I don't understand either, wasn't Steve Jobs a major Disney share holder . . . .:confused3

He was, he had the highest amount of shares before he died. Thats probably why theres an iPhone app lol

But its the whole flash thing, iPhones are predicted to get flash soon, but Im not sure if that'll happen.

But its the whole flash thing, iPhones are predicted to get flash soon, but Im not sure if that'll happen.

Okay this is a bit :off topic: but I doubt Flash will be available in iPhones any time soon. This is not Apple being anti Adobe but more to do with the fact that Flash is not stable, battery life would disappear and you would be able to cook an egg on your phone with the heat generated ;)
Most website; though strangely not Disney, can have html5 websites that negate the need for flash.

Okay this is a bit :off topic: but I doubt Flash will be available in iPhones any time soon. This is not Apple being anti Adobe but more to do with the fact that Flash is not stable, battery life would disappear and you would be able to cook an egg on your phone with the heat generated ;)
Most website; though strangely not Disney, can have html5 websites that negate the need for flash.

Strange though why DLP hasn't an HTML5 based site for iphone users as i am sure Walt Disney World does as i can navigate that without any problems.:confused3

That actually only applies to the iPhone. The vast majority of Android and Windows phones run flash just fine. I read something about the overheating being a problem on the iPhone and the Mac books, although I can't vouch for it's accuracy.

The problem with HTML5 is that although it's supported on most modern phones, it isn't supported by Internet Explorer 6, 7 & 8, which make up the majority of the browser market share. Despite what Apple's marketing leads us to believe, your better to cut out iPhone users than Internet Explorer users.

As a Mac/iPad/iPhone user, these unusable sites annoy me too... but... Flash sites have been annoying me for years before the 'i' revolution. They have been overly complicated and awkward to use for a long time - so the quicker the millions of iOS users sound their death toll, the better. (Even adobe with various converter software etc have all but given in - cue the people arguing with me. :D)

As to the heat & battery issue, universal, its just that really, the sheer amount of mobile web browsing is so much higher now than its ever been - the issues Flash caused were much less significant when we were all at laptops etc.

But anyway.... my real point... :)

Assuming you want to use the site for stuff not on the DLP App of course - get yourself a Flash streaming browser! (Basically, the websites are processed elsewhere, and the result Fed to your phone. They are not as quick and easy, or 100% guaranteed to work on all sites, but have got me through the occasional Must-Use Site)

I use iswifter on the iPad, but I think that's not currently available for the phone (I suspect you could force it on there, but I haven't tried).

Try the Puffin web browser for your iphone, which as I type this is currently loading up the Disneyland Paris site just fine (including a pop up to ask if I want to play the embedded flash movie fullscreen.)

It isn't fast... but then, my work wifi at lunchtime is crippling slow!

** I will disclaimer this by pointing out that flash sites are frequently Not ideal for a touchscreen interface - and how well they will or will not work is going to vary wildly - and I've not tested the Disney site. I've played facebook games (the usually must-have requirement) very well on iSwifter though. **

Flash on phones is a battery killer. I had an HTC Desire and the battery struggled to last a day. Now that I have an iPhone the battery lasts 3 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter