IPads, and IPods and Tablets - OH MY!! Help??

WDWorBUST

DIS Veteran
So....DD (9 next week) really wants an Ipad. I have told her no that she is not getting an Ipad. However for Christmas we were considering getting her a tablet. But then she decides she wants the Ipod Touch. So we're trying to figure out what she really wants....I think just something for games, etc....but then trying to determine which product best meets her needs is the trick. I like the Ipod Touch for it's size - and the new 5th generation - the camera. However when looking at a 5 at $299 then there's the Ipad Mini now for just $30 more. I know part of it she just thinks they are all so "cool"....and really she doesn't know what all they do. And we are not the type that will upgrade her when the next new thing comes along so whatever we get needs longevity. I'm also afraid that the portability of the Touch can also be it's downfall due to damage. I am confident she will take care of it....but she will still just be 9. And although the Mini has a camera (right?) I'm not sure how practical carrying around an Ipad to take pictures is...howeve the touch is actually smaller and more convenient than a camera.

So....direct me. I'd love to hear what your kids have and why and if they dont' have why not....also what they like best etc. Oh and I don't own any of the new techy gadgets (still use a "dumb" phone - okay so it's even a nokia flip phone) so my first hand experience is ZILCH!

We got dd1 (5) a nextbook tablet. It was a little over 100. Its 7 in and runs off android like cell phones other than apple. She is used to playing games on my DROID phone , so basically she uses it instead of running my battery down. There are tons of free apps, she can use internet browser, and take pics/video. If you aren't already using itunes /apple products, you might want to consider a tablet from another brand. Im getting a samsung for christmas, but there are lots of good ones out there.

Keep in mind the iPod Touch for $299 has 32G memory; the iPad Mini for $329 has half the memory, 16G. So it's not really just $30 more.

It's a hard decision. I like the iPad's larger screen, but to a 9 year old, that might not matter.

I have an ipad and soon an ipod touch 4 gen. I'd personally get here a tablet of some sort and a dig camera if she wants picture taking. I've heard kindles/ nook are nice or the samsung tablets.

I would probably opt for the iPad Mini for being the most practical and having longevity. I doubt you will let her take an iPod Touch out of the house frequently (for fear of it getting lost, stolen, or damaged) so I wouldn't focus too much on portability. Either one will be nicely portable for long car rides or sleepovers.

The iPad Mini will be more useful because of the larger screen. It isn't very fun watching a movie or show or playing a game on an iPod Touch because the screen is so small. The iPad Mini can be used to read books as well without straining your eyes from a smaller screen.

You are correct, they both have cameras but the reality is, if she really gets into photography she will want a separate camera anyway. Between the two, the iPod Touch would be better for taking photos but that alone isn't a good reason to buy the iPod Touch.

I have an iPad 2 and LOVE it. We use it every day.

I had used an iPod Touch at work to demonstrate educational apps and FaceTime. Graduated to an iPad 2 and love it. I would suggest the iPad mini along with an Otterbox case to protect it. She will get a lot of use out of it with educational app, games, music and pics!

The IPads are great and we love them! We have three in our family along with a couple ITouches. That being said, for a nine year old I think I would consider the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7. They do the same things that a 9 year old would need it for. They are also about $130 less.

Plus, the technology changes so fast that in three years whatever you buy will be "outdated". Not that this matters to me...I have the first IPAD and have no plans to get a new one until this dies.

Good luck with your decision!

There are several kids tablets that are for sale at TRU and Target that are $149-200. I've researched the Nabi. It is android based and also gives you, the parent, the control. You'll need to figure out the controls on either an iPad or android because the factory settings make it incredibly easy to purchase apps. There are apps to make Internet surfing "safer" for kids, but we're not at that stage so I know nothing about them.

There are several kids tablets that are for sale at TRU and Target that are $149-200. I've researched the Nabi. It is android based and also gives you, the parent, the control. You'll need to figure out the controls on either an iPad or android because the factory settings make it incredibly easy to purchase apps. There are apps to make Internet surfing "safer" for kids, but we're not at that stage so I know nothing about them.

I would not get a 9 year a "kids" tablet. I'd rather spend more money and get a better device.

It is not easy to purchase apps on an iPad. You need the iTunes password, which I would hope you do not give to your child.

I would not get a 9 year a "kids" tablet. I'd rather spend more money and get a better device.

It is not easy to purchase apps on an iPad. You need the iTunes password, which I would hope you do not give to your child.

I agree with this. Most of the kids tablets require you to buy the games to go along and they're generally about $20 each, which really runs up the value for the innotab or the leappad. Most aps my kids play are .99 or free. Controlling content is very easy, IMO, on an ipad or ipod. You don't have to have a CC attached to an itunes account. My oldest has one, but the only time she can buy apps is if she's gotten a gift card.

DS13 and DD11 both have I-pads, I-pod Touches and now I-phones. They both just got the phones. I-pads for Christmas last year. And the I-Touches a few years ago. So, DD would have been 8 or 9 when she first got one. They have both done great with all of these products and use them all the time. The I-Touch is easier to put in a bag and stuff but the kids really use their I-pads alot more. I would think about looking at the new I-Pad Mini. My kids always just download I-tunes Gift Cards on their accounts and buy apps that way.

I have twin boys that are 9. One has a touch and one has an Acer tablet. Both happy. (One wanted the touch because a cousin had it, and the other wanted an iPad because he got to use one a couple of times at school. We bought the tablet as that was what we wanted to afford.)

Again, both are happy. Haven't had any problems with abuse or neglect on either part. We do have Square Trade warranties on both.

We are still SO on the fence about this. I do know that I want one she can use for several years so I don't think I want one that is targeted to children. We have run the gamut....it started as a Kindle Fire, then the Ipod Touch and so on and so forth. But if I'm going to spend the money I want to get the right product. UGH!! Thanks for all the input. I think I'm leaning back towards the tablet...but not an Ipad?? I know the Fire has limitations - can you get Angry Birds for it? Can anyone give me the skinny on the Kindle Fire??

Another thing to consider is what type of tablet or Smartphone you or your DH will get for yourselves. All Apple products can use the same Apple ID so you only have to purchase an app once and then add them onto other Apple devices at no cost. There are more educational apps developed for Apple and many are free.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I own a nexus 7 and I love it. Used to have the iPad 2 but it constantly froze up, needed software updates, and lagged. Gave that away to a family member and got the nexus. I love it! Fast, slightly smaller and lighter, and visually stunning. Only $200. Look up reviews!

I also like to carry my tablet to coffee shops or when traveling, and this is easier to slide into a purse. Not that a kid would necessarily care, but if parents ever get stuck with it... ;)

We've been thinking about this as well - DS is turning 10. At the moment I'm leaning towards the IPod Touch but he won't be bringing it to school. He can use one of our old laptops when he wants to, and I already own a basic Nook and a Kindle Keyboard (long story) which we barely use. The IPad Mini is still not out of the running, but the price tag does not thrill me...hmm...

We have an iPad and then I recently got to review a BlackBerry Playbook through my blog with my 12 year old. I much prefer the Playbook and I use it over the iPad. In fact, the iPad has not been touched by anyone in my home in quit some time. The Playbook is smaller and thinner than the iPad, but has an awesome front and rear facing camera, takes videos and is just generally awesome and superior to the iPad in mho. It is also cheaper!

We are still SO on the fence about this. I do know that I want one she can use for several years so I don't think I want one that is targeted to children. We have run the gamut....it started as a Kindle Fire, then the Ipod Touch and so on and so forth. But if I'm going to spend the money I want to get the right product. UGH!! Thanks for all the input. I think I'm leaning back towards the tablet...but not an Ipad?? I know the Fire has limitations - can you get Angry Birds for it? Can anyone give me the skinny on the Kindle Fire??

I have last years Kindle Fire....Yes, you can get Angry Birds, Scrabble, Uno, and several other games. I found a site through Facebook where I can purchase books for Free. You do have to have a CC associated with the Fire, but you can set it so that you have to enter the password before purchasing anything. You can also purchase movies on it. My 9 year old DGD loves my Fire, she ends up using it more than I do and she really likes watching the few movies that I have purchased for her. Just make sure you save your movies in the CLOUD so they can be watched time and time again. I really only use it as a reader, but it's very portable and easy to carry. You can also get internet anywhere that you can connect to WIFI.

This might be right up her alley 7" Ainol Novo 7. Planning on getting this one for my DD for Christmas. I purchased a 10" Eken T10 (aka Motorola Xoom) from this company and I've had it for almost a year without a hitch.

Some of the Apps that I have on mine:

Amazon apps store, Kindle Reader, Google Play (app store), You Tube, Gmail, The Weather Channel, TripAdvisor, Twitter, Ebay, Google Chrome, Character Locator (Disney :goodvibes), Amazon MP3, Google Sky Map

Just to name a few...I also have several children's apps for DD and DS, some for me too ;) And I downloaded Avast Mobile Security.

Hope you find what you're looking for :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter