Ipad and disney hotels

This is an important note for anyone staying at VGC. Yes, they have wireless, but they don't have a router in every room-- just a series of routers in/around the lobby. Depending on where your room assignment is, you may not geta wifi signal at all. We were assigned one of the most desirable locations (high floor, paradise pier/world of color view), and couldn't get a signal in our room at all.

That's where my room was - 6504.

We just returned from WDW. I used my iPad & VZ MIFI and it worked very well. We also had our iPhone with us and could have used that as well. :)

I have that same router. Don't you need to set up the provider's access info with that? My DD has her iTouch, DH has his Nook Color tablet, and DS plays wirelessly on his Nintendo ds. I want everyone to be able to go on during our stay there and I was wondering how we'd be able to do it.

Can you tell me how you got it to work?

if you bring the wireless router, it should work at Disney if it works at home; there is no special provider set-up. Any provider set up applied to your modem not your wireless router.

if you bring the wireless router, it should work at Disney if it works at home; there is no special provider set-up. Any provider set up applied to your modem not your wireless router.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, now I remember. I'm going to have to dig it out. I know it's in my house somewhere.

I also use the ATT hotspot on my iPhone. It works fine, and because it's in my pocket when the iPad is in my hand, the two are always in range of each other. Biggest problem is that it runs through iPhone battery life pretty quickly, particularly if you do any big up- or down-loads.

Netgear Rangemax routers are the best I have ever owned. I have one in my OL.

I will say I am so glad I spent the extra money on the 3g for my iPad. It was an invaluable resource during the period of power outage in dealing with the initial aftermath of the tornado. We have a mobile hotspot too but it takes so long to bring it online and offline where the iPad could be used for 2 minutes to look up a phone number or a BBB rating and then shut right back off easy peasy.

ok, so let me understand this. right now I have a Macbook Pro, and I have an Aircard for that, thru ATT. so with this I always just use this at disney resorts. BUT now I am thinking of getting an iPad WiFi 3G, because my MBP was very expensive and I do not like carrying it places, like Disney.
So with that said, as long as I have the 3G I am good to go to get online right?

ok, so let me understand this. right now I have a Macbook Pro, and I have an Aircard for that, thru ATT. so with this I always just use this at disney resorts. BUT now I am thinking of getting an iPad WiFi 3G, because my MBP was very expensive and I do not like carrying it places, like Disney.
So with that said, as long as I have the 3G I am good to go to get online right?
Yes, as long as the 3G network has a good signal you will be fine. I use 3G on my iPhone from our room at WDW often. And you don't have to go through the annoying logging-in to Disney's internet service. Just be aware that uploads and downloads of big files will take longer on 3G. Also security on 3G might be an issue if you are doing banking or other sensitive activities online.
P.S. I also am hesitant to travel with my MacBook Pro. I kept by old MacBook for travel. I wish I had an iPad like you but am too cheap to buy one now because I know that when the retina screen version finally is out I will want it.

I may consider bringing my Linksys then, except that it's so much bigger than the Apple Airport thingie. I don't know, still weighing my choices.

And by the way ...

Public service announcement: The word "ressie" is like nails on a chalkboard. Unless you could say it in real life without embarrassment, you might want to reconsider your use of it here.

I totally agree! That word just rubs me the wrong way! :)

Can we add Cindy to that? Especially when both are used in the same sentence. Ex: I have a ressie for Cindy's. :scared:

How hard is it to say "I have an ADR for CRT"?

Oh no! Cindy's? :scared1::scared1::scared1: I was not aware of that one, probably since I don't frequent the restaurant board. That may be a new low. Some people.

My iPad 2 ships this week and i am planning on taking it on our Vero/BWv trip in July. I am planning on getting a new router for our home and bringing our current one with us and keeping it in our owners locker.

Does Vero have wifi? I think I read that it does.

I am using my D-Link travel router for the first time right now at GCV. Wi-fi here worked in my room but was slow so since I had the router I figured I would try it with the two iPads we brought.

I couldn't be happier with this router. Quick set up at home on the laptop. Easily found the iPads, iPhones, laptops and a Nook. I hooked it up in the villa and everybody was on. Websites are loading very quickly here.

I'm looking forward to leaving the laptops home.

Yep and it works really well at Disney, at least at OKW. The 3G plan is $9.99 per month with no contract so you can turn it on and off as needed. At HHI and any other hotel wifi that makes you either confirm the internet usage in a browser or enter a code the 3G is much better because each time you put it to sleep you have to go through the authorization process again. That may not be a big deal for everyone but we turn it on a lot to check something and then turn it back off to save battery.

The only thing you can't do on 3G is download large apps and if you leave the wifi and AT&T on at the same time it does drain the battery faster.

I batted it around a lot trying to decide whether or not to spend the extra money for 3G but I am so glad I did.

No one I know!!! :confused3

AT&T Plans:
250MB per month $14.99
2GB per month $25.00

Verizon Plans:
1GB per month $20.00
3GB per month $35.00
5GB per month $50.00
10GB per month $80.00

Apparently an AT&T employee?
I would have purchased the 3G version for that price.

Just curious if you take your ipad to the park with you or leave it in the room? If so, what do you carry it in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter