Involving kids in the planning process

EmilyS90

Mouseketeer
Any tips for making it easy to let younger ones help with planning? I'm just about to book our 2016 trip in a couple days. And I want to give DD5 the opportunity to decide what she wants to do, and what extras she might want to add (like BBB again or something different), or character meals, and I'm not sure where to start.

We let our kids watch the planning DVD before our first trip, to give them an idea of what to expect. They had never been to a theme park before, so they didn't have a reference point for that sort of thing. Then I just talked to them about the different rides and activities to see what they were most interested in doing. They didn't have much of a preference before our first trip, but there are definitely things on their must do lists for this trip.

You may start with the planning DVD and take it from there. Also, when I give them a choice, I usually do the research and pick two options that I'm ok with before letting them make the decision. "Would you rather eat with Stitch or Mickey?" I think it's great you're including her in the planning. That's half the fun! (For me, at least)

There's a kids book of rides and attractions that we go through (often lol) and I strongly recommend watching youtube videos together. We are quaketoys on instagram and have a zillion pics and videos from our last two trips that I need to get on youtube but it should give you both more of an idea.

Honestly, I just talk to DD. I k now what she wants to do based on what she says. Like she talks about meeting the princesses again so I know she wants to do that. I casually bring things up like MNSSHP. We're going because I want to do it. But I ask things like do you want to meet Jack Skelington and Sally? We talked about the headless horseman and I explained that it's just pretend because she freaked out a bit about that. This from the kid that likes scary stuff! She loves the tv show Grimm.

So my suggestion is to look at pictures and just talk about what you want for the next trip. But honestly, 2016 is a long way off for one so young so take it easy and just feel her out.

With the my disney experience and app, it's pretty easy to go over all the options in the park and wishlist the don't want to miss things. At the same time you can quickly look on youtube for videos of the different parades or rides to help narrow down what most interests them. What might be the most valuable thing is finding out while planning what doesn't interest them.

Of course don't forget, anyone under 10 their favorite thing at disney is the hotel pool.

I am planning a trip in August. WE have two little girls who have never been, but they are activly involved in he plannig. How? LOL! They love videos and have been watching them and thn asking if this attraction or that character will be there. I sat with them and they made a list of favorite characters that they hope to meet. I also showed them DME and the resort weare staying at, and een though they really don't understand what they both mean, they understand Mickey sends a bus to bring us us to WDW, and that our resort has fun pools.

My DGD has been involved in planning since our second trip. WE ask her what she enjoyed, and what she did not, and now that she is approaching 14, she is actively giving us feedback about what the little ones will like (and what they won't, which I think is way more important! LOL)

I also agree with Accident to a point! The pool was my DGD's only request this year, so for us, that pool is a big draw for over 10! LOL! WEll she had one other, but pleading with her Mom to make sure we never went to Enchanted tales with Belle, not ever again!!! does not count! LOL!

Our girls have been lots of times so they know what they like and don't like. They often do their own planning binders and then we sit down together to mesh out their plans with ours. :)

I am going with my 3 yr old and 10 yr old girls, both for their first trip. I surprised them both with a gift box filled with a wdw for kids book and letter from mickey stating we are going to disney. They love being part of the planning process. they tell me what characters they are excited to meet, what princess they want to be, my 10 yr old is doing BBB and the other is doing the pirate league. we watch youtube videos for the rides, so the 3 year old can see how loud or dark they may be. she already told me she is afraid of the haunted mansion and buzz lightyear. It gives me a better idea of what i can expect from each of them as well. We have been to six flags before, the both of them are pretty adventurous when it comes to rides. Also we plan on taking rest periods from the parks each day. about 4 hours each day. and we talk about what to expect on the airplane as well.

I am afraid I have overdone the planning with my daughter (age 8). The other day when I asked her about something she might want to do, she said, "Mom! With you it is Disney all the time. Do I always have to know everything we are doing when we get there? Can't some things just be a surprise?" I am such a planner, and she is SO not.

I think it is a good idea to get an idea of what your daughter would like to do, but some special surprises for her will be nice, too.

I am afraid I have overdone the planning with my daughter (age 8). The other day when I asked her about something she might want to do, she said, "Mom! With you it is Disney all the time. Do I always have to know everything we are doing when we get there? Can't some things just be a surprise?" I am such a planner, and she is SO not.

I think it is a good idea to get an idea of what your daughter would like to do, but some special surprises for her will be nice, too.
LOL! My DGD said the same thing to me when she was 10. and this girl IS a planner, so I think I got a little carried away! LOL!

We recently purchased the Birnbaum's Disney book for kids and me DD3 loves it. So much so that she wants to look at it every night before bed instead of reading her other stories. It's a beautiful and fun book.

We recently purchased the Birnbaum's Disney book for kids and me DD3 loves it. So much so that she wants to look at it every night before bed instead of reading her other stories. It's a beautiful and fun book.

I think this is the one my DD bought for thetwo little ones joining us. Funny thing....the little OCD 10 YO who was tired of all my Disney talk a few years ago is now an almost 14 YO who has been pouring through that book with teh girls! She says is is for them....I think not!!

Another vote for the Birnbaum's Disney book!

We watch a lot of the YouTube videos from Disney Parks. The "Disney Parks Firsts" series where young kids talk about the rides is always a big hit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter