Investor Speculation - Disney could buy Great Wolf Lodges

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by crazy4wdw, Feb 28, 2007.

1. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

Great Wolf Uncaged

By Rick Aristotle Munarriz

February 28, 2007

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jimh13432

jimh13432 Mouseketeer

yuck..........

Great Wolf Lodge, the Wal-Mart of the family vacation industry. My apologies for insulting Wal-Mart.

4. nyyankeegirl

nyyankeegirl Mouseketeer

We took our kids to Great Wolf in Williamsburg, VA this past January. No, it is definately not Disney, but the kids had a great time. Where else can you go in the middle of the winter, with a short drive, and swim the whole weekend? It's a great concept when you have the winter blues!

5. barreloflaughs

barreloflaughs "Everything is cheaper than it looks........"

Great Wolf stinks:

http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/news/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=518248

And this Poconos location overlooks scenic Route 80. Not quite a backwoods experience.

On the plus side, it is in Scotrun. The exit sign for 'Scotrun' is often mispronounced by folks unfamiliar with the area. Sophomoric hilarity generally ensues....

barrel

6. annie1995

annie1995 <font color=FF0066>I have not used mine outside th

We love Great Wolf Lodge! Great place to beat the winter blues when you can't go to Disney! We have a suprise trip for the kids in a few weeks!

7. Tigger031266

Tigger031266 DIS Veteran

Great Wolf are nice hotels. I have visited 2 of them both in WI. I think Disney would have to change a lot to make it into a Disney experience. They would have to be significantly changed judging by how disney is selling this idea. I am thinking Disney will want to be the best:

- New restaurants (ESPN's, Night clubs)
    - New Rides
    - Additions
    - Staff training
    - Shopping
    - Spa's
    - Much higher prices per night
    - Advertising and marketing

8. patsal

patsal <font color=FF3399>I've discovered I don't need to

Much higher price! The last quote I got was for a regular family room (not any fancy suite stuff) and it was just below $500. per night. 2 nights would have been $985--too steep for me for a two night stay.

9. starwood

starwood <font color=red>This mouse GOT her next cruise<br>

When we went there 2 years ago I just kept thinking how Disney could do it so much better.

10. Grumpy_Disney_Dad

Grumpy_Disney_Dad <font color=teal>I didnt get my gold mickey ears <

Great Wolf Lodge is great but expensive. As far as being the "Wal mart" of vacations, they have tried to do the same thing Disney has done by creating anatmosphere in their hotels. Granted they dont succeed nearly as well as Disney does but it was a valid attempt. We often go to the one in Williamsburg and find that if you can sneak up for a midday trip, youcan often get rooms as low as $80. If you are forced to go on a weekend be prepared to pay astronomical amounts of $$. Personally I would love to see Diseny buy them and add more magic. I wonder how the people of VA would react to that after they gave Disney the finger in Northen VA.

11. splash327

splash327 Earning My Ears

We just spent three days at the Great Wolf in the Poconos. It wasn't bad mid-week but weekend is big $$. I thought they were close to Disney on theming but were missing just a few things here and there. The food was lacking and the prices were comparable to a Disney Character meal. The kids had a great time though and want to go back.

Mark

12. Mari annie

Mari annie <font color=deepink>I've been tagged, and I don't

Are nice places, stayed at both:thumbsup2

Let's face it everyone, once you have been to Disney/Universal nothing can compare..........right?!:woohoo: (family travel that is):cheer2:

4/10 FL SUNSHINE!!!:thumbsup2

:wizard:

13. kribit

kribit DIS Veteran

We've never been there, but the pictures look OK. I'm not sure I could stand being in an inside water park. I have a hard time going to any other amusement type place anyway (Busch, Hershey, etc...) because let's face it, no one does it like Disney.

14. stitchgal

stitchgal Mouseketeer

We love Great Wolf Lodge; we've been to the one in Williamsburg several times and just got back from the one in the Poconos. Sure, it isn't Disney but my family still has a great time. Has anyone noticed how the song in the audio animitronic lobby show (what my daughter calls the moose show) sounds a lot like Circle of Life?