• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Investigation of DIS Community

Lulle4

Earning My Ears
Hi co-members,

I've been a Disney fan all my life, and 6 years ago I went to Disneyland in LA. What a great place!!!! :cool1:

I'm a 26 year old master student from Denmark, and I've chosen to combine my interest with my studies. Therefore I've just started writing my thesis about Disney's virtual communities.

Therefore I would like to hear your reasons and motivations for joining DIS... Feel free to answer these questions or write a comment

1. How would you define the phrase Disney Community?

2. Why are you a member of DIS?

3. Are you member of other Disney Communities? If yes, which?

4. How long have you been a fan of Disney?

5. How many hours a week do you spend on Disney? Online and offline?

6. Do you meet IRL with other Disney fans that you met online?

7. How old are you, what is your proffesion and which country are you from?

I'm really looking forward to hearing from you...

Have a disneylicious day:-)

Louise

How would you define the phrase Disney Community?

People who love Disney and enjoy talking about it while we're away from our "2nd" home.

In addition to learing about new and interesting things to do at the parks while I'm there, I have saved a LOT of money on trips and I have also made some friends along the way.

Nope, not enough time in my life.

Since my first trip in 1972 to DL.

That is hard to say, the Community Board is my home page but the family and I talk about Disney almost daily.

Yes, I have met Dan Murphy, Ray Sharpton and a few others at Dis meets. Some that were not planned but I was wearing a Dis shirt and a lime green ribbon and Dis members came up to me at the parks to say hello.

I'm 52, I am a money earning receptionist for an insurance agency but my heart is with my quilting passion(besides Disney) I live in the United States

denise

Hmmm....Disney Community: A family of individuals from across the world who love taking trips to any one of Disney's theme parks around the world.

I came to the site looking for information about a Disney cruise and just never left. I've made a lot of friends along the way.

no.

since childhood 35 or 40 years ago

60+ due to an online game we're playing titled WPASADI...all online.

I've attended close to a dozen DISmeets in 7 states and at sea...but that number pales in comparison to many, many people on the boards.

40, public relations, USA

I guess I assume it's a group of people who found this website while Disney vacation planning and love talking about Disney and other things with other people who love Disney.

2. Why are you a member of DIS? I guess because I'm always planning a vacation and I'm always here looking for ways to save money and new things going on at the parks. When I realized I could learn about other things (for instance, I need to thank the person who posted about sinus infections, because she may very well have changed my life!!!) it was just a bonus.

3. Are you member of other Disney Communities? If yes, which?No, I don't really even have time for this one.

4. How long have you been a fan of Disney?Since I was a baby I guess! My mom and dad were disney fans, so I came by it honestly!

5. How many hours a week do you spend on Disney? Online and offline?I think I spend a little time each moring, sometimes just 5 minutes, while I drink my coffee, looking to see what's new in the land of Disney. I guess a couple hours a week at most. If I'm planning a trip a little more, because trip planning is a bright spot in the day! (like right now!)

6. Do you meet IRL with other Disney fans that you met online?No. That's not a priority.

7. How old are you, what is your proffesion and which country are you from? I'm in my late 40s, I own my own business, and I'm American.

I hope these answers help! If you want more specific answers, let us know.

A group of like minded folks, who share a love of all things Disney.

I love sharing my experiences and knowledge with others. And it sure does help pass the time between trips.

Yes, I'm a member over at Tagrel and PassPorter sites. But, this is my 'home'.

'99 right after my very first trip.

Ah, let's see....about 4 hrs a day..waay too much.

Absolutely! I now travel to WDW with folks I've met here on the DIS...some of my best buddies!! And I've done several area DIS meets as well as meets within WDW. Met too many Disney fans to count.

I'm 57, a sahm, from the US.

I'm not on any other Disney related boards, but do post frequently here, for two reasons--

1. To exchange information about Disney. We've been there 5x's each trip I learn something new to share, also get great tips for each trip.

2. But there's another reason I'm on this board. I have many posts that have absolutely nothing to do with Disney or travel. Many other people post about such "off-topics" as well. There's lots of discussions about everything from child-raising to budgeting to politics, religion, etc.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Why so may topics about things that have nothing to do with Disney? In my opinion, the Disboards is sort of a culling process. That is, the people who are attracted to this board usually come here because of an interest in Disney, then find they have much in common with the other posters besides trips to Disney. The typical person who comes here is usually someone fairly young (ok, we're in our 50's), of an economic class where such travel is possible, usually (not always) have young children, so we tend to find we have certain demographics in common and can discuss many topics besides just trips to Disney.

I wish you luck with your project, seems you've found an interesting topic!:thumbsup2

Community to me is diverse thoughts, ideas, yet a common ground. We almost all have a love of Disney.
I came here looking for planning ideas and found the CB. Since then I have made life time friends!

None

Since I was a young girl.
I have a disney memo holder on me desk that I look at when I get stressed out to remind me "its all worth it". I hope thats what you were looking for.

Yes. Quite a few so far and planning to meet about 9 more in less then 10 days, also more in November.

Yeah right ;) insurance agent, USA.

OP, I am thinking a change in title may get you more responses:thumbsup2

I guess a group of people who love to plan Disney holiday, help one another, chat about all things Disney and to make friends.

Initially to plan my first trip to WDW (although I have planned other trips since then.) Inbetween planning trips I still come on here to chat to the friends I have made.

The Dibb (although I only go on there when actually planning a trip to WDW) and the Passporter boards. I used Tour Guide Mike and used the forums there when planning my last trip to WDW.

All my life, but I took my 1st Disney trip when I was 22.

I come on the Dis every day, so maybe about 12-14 hours a week.

I chat to one Disney friend on MSN every day and we have met, I have met other UK Dis board friends and am planning to meet some US Disboard friends at Disneyland next year.

I'm 30, I am a teacher who teaches 9 - 11 year olds and I live in England.

A place to gather and talk with others who like Disney.

Husband was a member first and thought I might enjoy talking with others who share my love of all things Disney. (he was right)

No

Since my very first trip, back in 1983.

A couple of hours a day, not sure of the exact amount of hours.

Not yet, but hope too one day.

I am 39, homemaker, United States.

A place for people to meet and discuss their love of everything Disney.

My very best friend told me about the DIS and I started lurking for about two weeks. I found the T-shirt thread and then decided to join. We were planning a trip and I thought that we could get some good ideas for matching shirts. That lead to a very unique friendship with some very wonderful people on the DDA thread.

No

For as long as I can remember. I loved watching anything about Disney.

Could we say 24 hours??? :lmao: I dream Disney :goodvibes

Yes, about 13 of us met in Washington, DC last year. Whenever any of us has a trip coming up, we try and meet with anyone else that will be at WDW or DL at the same time. Some of us have found out that other DIS'sers live very close to each other, so plans have been made to meet for fun outings.
We have become very close and when one of our very own friends passed on, we all mourned her and have tributes to her in our signatures.

Billing Assistant for a Recreation Association that has Before and After School Programs and Summer Camps.
United States

This is the first time I've heard the phrase, so can't define it.

Signed up ages ago looking for info.

OK, so Disney Communities are message boards? No, this one is it.

My whole life.

Depends on the week. Too much, that's for sure. My husband has gotten on me about it lately, so a lot less. :)

No.

1. How would you define the phrase Disney Community? The DIS.

2. Why are you a member of DIS? My mom got me hooked.

3. Are you member of other Disney Communities? If yes, which? Nope, just here.

4. How long have you been a fan of Disney? I can't put an exact number on it. I grew up watching Disney movies.

5. How many hours a week do you spend on Disney? Online and offline? Too many.

6. Do you meet IRL with other Disney fans that you met online? No, not yet. I'm still too young.

7. How old are you, what is your proffesion and which country are you from? I'm 14, a student, and I live in the United States.

1. How would you define the phrase Disney Community? A group of people who share a love of Disney.

2. Why are you a member of DIS? It started by me just researching a trip but I found a group of people that have become friends.

3. Are you member of other Disney Communities? If yes, which? Yes, the Grownup Pal Mickey's Club

4. How long have you been a fan of Disney? All my life. First trip was when I was 13

5. How many hours a week do you spend on Disney? Online and offline? At least 5 - up to 10.

6. Do you meet IRL with other Disney fans that you met online? Yes

7. How old are you, what is your proffesion and which country are you from? 45, IT Manager, United States

People who are interested in all things Disney. This can include the Parks and Resorts, the movies and other entertainment, and the characters and experience in general. A common term in "Disneyana"

My late wife put me onto DisBoards quite a few years ago. We knew we both had a major interest in Disney even before we got married.

I have been a member (and officer) of NFFC since the late 80s. I am also active on the UseNet group RADP, MousePlanet, MiceAge and StupidGuestTricks.

I don't know, but my first trip to DL was in 1964.

An average of 12 hours working at WDW.
My being an NFFC Officer averages to about two hours a week.
My online averages about three hours a day, including all sites (and the moderator duties here).

I am also an active member of DisMates, and have met several people from there. I have also gone to some of the old RADP gatherings and MouseFest.

7. How old are you, what is your profession and which country are you from?
I am 66, a retired CPA (but working PT at WDW, and live within commuting distance of WDW.

People who are brought together because of a common love of Disney.

I first joined to learn money-saving and planning tips for trips.

No.

Since my first trip in 2003.

Maybe 5 hours a week online, lots of time talking about it with my DH (especially right now...).

I have had DISer sightings in the parks, but I'm a little shy so I have never introduced myself.

25, retail store manager, USA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter