Interview - what to wear

If she's linking to clothes onHSN I'm assuming those would have to be purchased? If so, then just buy a nice interview suit. Dark pants/skirt, blouse and jacket, or a cardigan knit set. None of those dresses are interview appropriate even if the office is casual. Interviews are not supposed to be casual, IMO.

I think you go the point that none of these dresses are appropriate for a job interview. I know that companies differ, regions of the country differ on what's appropriate, and the type of job makes a difference, but I would just not do it.

I am one of those who doesn't care for maxi dresses, even on the job. Most of them are WAY to casual looking. That said, I did wear them to my job over the summer. I made sure that I bought the type that have the more upgraded fabric (versus the T-shirt/cotton material) and I paired them with a twinset or jacket. Now that fall is here, I look at them and think, nope, they just don't work. Most offices are business casual in the summer so I got them to sort of work for me. But they are best avoided in an unknown environment.

OP, I would get some black dress slacks and go to the store and try them on. You don't need to wear a suit, but you should make sure you look very pulled together so it's a good idea to make sure your clothes fit well and you have the basic professional look going.

Thanks, everyone! Interview is over, I wore the gray dress. All the links were already-purchased items, but absolutely I will be getting black dress slacks/a suit for the future. Also went through my closet this morning to look for something more appropriate based on the recommendations here, but my only existing "suits" are a brown and turquoise jacket and top with no coordinating slacks, and a fuschia set where the pants are too long.

I don't think I'll get the job, not based on what I wore, but all this advice is really helpful and appreciated!

Thanks, everyone! Interview is over, I wore the gray dress. All the links were already-purchased items, but absolutely I will be getting black dress slacks/a suit for the future. Also went through my closet this morning to look for something more appropriate based on the recommendations here, but my only existing "suits" are a brown and turquoise jacket and top with no coordinating slacks, and a fuschia set where the pants are too long.

I don't think I'll get the job, not based on what I wore, but all this advice is really helpful and appreciated!

Good choice going with the 2nd dress! :thumbsup2

BTW chin up, stay positive. You just might get the job. Never know! ;)

I know a lot of people suggested that you wear black pants and a sweater. But, I consider that way more casual than a long dress.

I don't think that the second dress looks like beachwear and it could work. I would say that it would be better if it wasn't a maxi though.

Thanks for letting us know - we've been thinking of you. :flower3:

Black pants and top or suits are always safe interview choices but I wanted to throw out a nice, black wrap dress can be a safe bet too. Make sure it is the proper size, not too tight, not too short and accesorize with chunky necklace.

I'm short and curvy and always have one of these in my closet for interviews, networking, or funerals. :)

I hope you get the job. :goodvibes

I like classic cuts in clothes and neutral colors that can mix and match. I throw in a few trendy things to mix it up, but for the most part that's the way I go. It just makes life easier. Easy to put together, looks good, and it takes away the guesswork.

It took awhile for me to sort out my closet. But it's finally about where I want it.

I know a lot of people suggested that you wear black pants and a sweater. But, I consider that way more casual than a long dress.

Depends on the black pants. If they are true black dress pants such as Jones New York, The Limited, etc. They are very dresses pair with a professional type sweater.

Black knit, stretch pants or black twill pants (similar to the material in khakis), yep, way too casual for an interview.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter