Internet usage/options

DontFreakOut

Earning My Ears
So, I do A LOT on the internet. I know I'll be spending time in the parks, and doing other things around Orlando when I'm here, but there are days where I just want to hang out at the apartment and chill, play some online games, download things, stuff like that (I do a lot of media editing by downloading videos that clients upload to a server for me, when downloading HD videos the files can get pretty large, sometimes pushing 8-10gb).

The internet here at Patterson is pretty slow (about 100kb/s if I'm lucky) and when I do play games online I can only get about 1 or 2 in before the network is so bogged down that I can't play anymore. And forget about using the internet to download large video files, it'd take days.

So my question, and I am not expecting a yes here, is are we able to get other forms of internet installed in the apartments, or do any of you have any alternative suggestions (air cards won't work due to bandwidth caps). I have a feeling I am SOL here, but any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Sean

If I remember correctly, you could pay extra to get the higher speed internet instead of the standard free one that comes with the apartments. One of my roommates played WOW, but basically went on vacation during those 9 months because she didn't want to pay extra for the higher speed internet(none of the rest of us needed it, so we weren't going to pay). That's the only thing I can really suggest...
I do know that a lot of people I knew that lived at Patterson had problems with the internet there.
Don't know if I was really helpful :confused3 but good luck with whatever you figure out!

internet isn't worthwhile here, but then again you arent coming here to be a bum and play on your computer either

I'm at Patterson too, and the Internet is getting to be annoying! It's not about being a bum, sometimes I come home from work and want to watch a show that I missed, or something from netflix... and either I have to wait forever for it to load, or it just won't work at all. It's super annoying! (And we have a wi-fi router)

If I remember correctly, you could pay extra to get the higher speed internet instead of the standard free one that comes with the apartments. One of my roommates played WOW, but basically went on vacation during those 9 months because she didn't want to pay extra for the higher speed internet(none of the rest of us needed it, so we weren't going to pay). That's the only thing I can really suggest...
I do know that a lot of people I knew that lived at Patterson had problems with the internet there.
Don't know if I was really helpful :confused3 but good luck with whatever you figure out!

Do you happen to know if Vista Way's internet run faster? I will be taking online classes and will be heavily dependent on the internet. I guess it's probably just safe to pay for the faster service.... darn.

internet isn't worthwhile here, but then again you arent coming here to be a bum and play on your computer either

Some of us will be taking online classes while there. This is a good question to ask. There's no reason to be rude.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the poster noticed that I said I download things that are required for me to get paid, haha. This "high speed" internet is severely affecting my ability to make extra cash while here. :(

-Sean

Do you happen to know if Vista Way's internet run faster? I will be taking online classes and will be heavily dependent on the internet. I guess it's probably just safe to pay for the faster service.... darn.

I lived in Chatham so I wouldn't be able to answer that question :confused3 I didn't ever hear anything bad about the internet at Vista Way though, only Patterson.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the poster noticed that I said I download things that are required for me to get paid, haha. This "high speed" internet is severely affecting my ability to make extra cash while here. :(

-Sean

I hope you can find a solution because that definitely sucks big time

Vista Way internet was terrible while I was there. We had days when it would just drop out and nothing could be done to turn it back on. It's ok in the computer labs, but in your apartments.. eesh.. real bad.

Vista Way internet was terrible while I was there. We had days when it would just drop out and nothing could be done to turn it back on. It's ok in the computer labs, but in your apartments.. eesh.. real bad.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know anyone who bought the extra internet service for their apartment at Vista Way? I want to know if maybe that helped the situation.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know anyone who bought the extra internet service for their apartment at Vista Way? I want to know if maybe that helped the situation.

My room mates and I purchased the upgrade at Patterson. It doubles internet speed, ups your upload, and gives you a public IP so no Disney restrictions. It's $25 a month (but they make you pay for it in 3 month increment) which is pretty cheap when split up between your room mates. It has helped a little in my situation, but not much. Unfortunately it is about the only option available. EVERYTHING else has a data cap at around 2-5gbs/month, which does me absolutely no good.

-Sean

My room mates and I purchased the upgrade at Patterson. It doubles internet speed, ups your upload, and gives you a public IP so no Disney restrictions. It's $25 a month (but they make you pay for it in 3 month increment) which is pretty cheap when split up between your room mates. It has helped a little in my situation, but not much. Unfortunately it is about the only option available. EVERYTHING else has a data cap at around 2-5gbs/month, which does me absolutely no good.

-Sean

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be upgrading then. :thumbsup2 Sorry that it hasn't fixed your problem though. :-/

Sorry, can't help you on that one. We didn't spend enough time in the apartment to need it, also it was expensive for what we were being paid and when I really did need extra I stole my boyfriend's internet at his place <shrug>.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter