• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

internet for on the road

thinkerbell

DIS Veteran
We will be making a trip this summer where we will be driving all day. I would like to have internet in the car. I think that there is something out there that I can plug into my computer that will allow me to have the internet as we travel down the road--am I right? What is it called? Also, where would I get this and can you have the service for only a short while or do you have to have the service for an extended amount of time like you do a regular internet or telephone contract?
Thanks!

Go to Best Buy or somewhere similar. You can get them on a contract (see my post about why NOT to get Sprint) or from a pay as you go company such as Virgin Mobile. If you do the latter you'll pay a little more for the device, but the monthly fees will be lower and you won't be locked in.

I would just tether my Android phone to my laptop. All I need is a USB cable but with some phones you will need a separate app like PDAnet. I have free tethering though.

If you have Verizon you can get something like the MiFi or any other Mobile Hot Spot. For those you usually need a contract.

With an iPad or iPad 2, you can get 3g which is a cellular data package. It works like a cellphone. If your cellphone has coverage, so will your iPad.

Sprint has mobile broadband that you can just plug into your laptop. They are the provider of choice for the FAA. The only problem is that you'd most likely need to enter into a contract.

Personally I already have an Andriod smartphone from Sprint and would just tether it to my laptop using PDANet. Works great when we are driving down the highway and when we are at Disney.

If you have like a Droid or iPhone you can set up a mobile hotspot. If not, you can get a mobile wireless card. It is a bit expensive, but it will work. I know Verizon has them, the others probably do too.

I have ATT and I have a aircard. So I can get internet anywhere I want to. I do have it shut off when I am not using it, I still have to pay a small fee when it is not in use, but not much!
or you can go with a "CLEAR" aircard. there is no contract with that one.
this one you can get in the mall or online at
www.clear.com
(they have different packages so make sure you read them!)

I just want to give you a word of caution: no air cards work everywhere. Before you plunk your money down, you need to look at the coverage map from that provider.

My parents' home just got data signal this winter from AT&T and still has NO signal from Verizon or any other carrier. There are other places in this state where can use my kindle, because the bandwidth needed is so low, and I can usually recieve e-mail on my blackberry (AT&T) but that's about it. My aircard is too slow and really doesn't work. Same thing applies at our hunting club or anywhere in that area.

I use my Droid X and PdANet app. It works great. I bought the 'advanced" version for $15 but there is a free version as well. It was great on our last road trip to have DD16 driving while I was in the passenger seat surfing DIS :thumbsup2.

I would just tether my Android phone to my laptop. All I need is a USB cable but with some phones you will need a separate app like PDAnet. I have free tethering though.

If you have Verizon you can get something like the MiFi or any other Mobile Hot Spot. For those you usually need a contract.

You can tether without the USB using a bluetooth connection. That is what I do.

Thanks for all of the info. I have checked out some of the different things posted here. Looks like it would be more than I am willing to shell out for a week's worth of internet access, but good info. We do not have internet access on our phones. Not that technologically advance yet. Guess I will find something else to keep me amused on the road. :)

Thanks for all of the info. I have checked out some of the different things posted here. Looks like it would be more than I am willing to shell out for a week's worth of internet access, but good info. We do not have internet access on our phones. Not that technologically advance yet. Guess I will find something else to keep me amused on the road. :)

I think you summarized the situation for others to consider. That is, price is a consideration for many. Many are willing to pay the price for internet access on the road, but there is a price.

Sprint has mobile broadband that you can just plug into your laptop. They are the provider of choice for the FAA. The only problem is that you'd most likely need to enter into a contract.

Personally I already have an Andriod smartphone from Sprint and would just tether it to my laptop using PDANet. Works great when we are driving down the highway and when we are at Disney.

That is what we have. However, I use it when I travel for work and DH uses it a lot when he is at soccer tournaments, so it has more than paid for itself.

I've never thought about using the phone tethered to our laptops. We both have the HTC EVO. I'll have to try that.

I have Verizon mifi upgraded from aircard.
I got it for use at Disney mostly but it gets used while traveling to family or at my brothers house b/c he is a turkery butt and won't key in passcode for his router, that I paid for way back when.

I personally find I use it pretty regular even here at home but I also live in rural area and have vdial up or satelite for high speed internet.

Many places now have free wireless (like McDonalds, hotels, etc (I think Disney still charges for internet (if so, cheapskates!!!))) so you could still take your laptop with you and access the internet at one of those hotspots. I believe there's websites out there that will help you locate free hotspots.

And if not traveling with your own computer at all, libraries have free internet & computers to use.

I've even seen a Kmart that had free computers & internet to use. Along the front wall near check-up. Its in a tourist location, so I don't know if they are the only Kmart with one, but I'm sure it helps attract business.

I find free internet all the time with my own computer, iphone & ipod touch. Even from outside the businesses. Car dealerships, car service places where customers wait, hotels & restaurants, libraries, airports. You would be surprised. Just ride around with your laptop some day & search for unsecured wifi connections. A lot of people don't secure their home or business wireless systems. I've even picked up wifi in my car, on the highway, and didn't lose it for miles. We think it might have been coming from a long-haul tractor trailer truck we were riding near. Not sure but its our guess.

My DH has a Verizon MiFi provided from work though. Its worked in some really remote areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter