Internet data caps are coming!

That's not new, is it? I'm pretty sure when we left Comcast they were charging an add-on fee for use over 250G, and AT&T DSL does the same for use over 150G.

They want to lower the caps now and charge you more for a higher data package. Plus some providers that didn't have caps are now adding them. Pretty soon some folks could be paying what they pay for Iphone plans just for internet, especially the ones who cut cable and stream everything.

That has pretty much always been the case here. Sure you could find some start up companies who would offer higher caps but reliability and speed were an issue. Then the big companies here took them to court to try to force them to cap which would have put these small places out of business. It failed.
I live in a rural area so my options are limited and I stuck with a larger provider as speed is important to us.

However, if caps are coming and you stream a lot of tv shows and download large amounts I imagine you'll be like us and start seeing cable or dish as a more attractive option again. It stinks.

Is there a way to find out what one is currently using? I have no idea how to look up how much we typically use.

Dawn

We already pay for usage. Alaska sucks. We pay $90/month for 150,000MB at 18mbps. I miss unlimited internet.

That's not new, is it? I'm pretty sure when we left Comcast they were charging an add-on fee for use over 250G, and AT&T DSL does the same for use over 150G.

This story went around about a year ago, too. But really, I've never heard that anyone has caps (at least not here in CT) unless your internet service comes to you via satellite. I've got At&T DSL, and have had it for years, and there is not a cap. And I couldn't even know how much we use, there's not some meter somewhere that I've ever heard of.

I think one thing to note if these caps are truly coming is to check what you use (we can track that on our modem as well as our online account) and see what you need and take any opportunity to keep the plan you have now. Basically stay on top of the verbiage in your contract and know what you're allowed to do in regards to the new plans. If your companies go this way they won't announce there is some clause to keep your old plan, they'll just push the new cap with some shiny promo that could end up not being good.

This story went around about a year ago, too. But really, I've never heard that anyone has caps (at least not here in CT) unless your internet service comes to you via satellite. I've got At&T DSL, and have had it for years, and there is not a cap. And I couldn't even know how much we use, there's not some meter somewhere that I've ever heard of.

Cox has caps. They vary by your service level.

We have always had caps here in Canada on cell internet use as well as thru our home provider. Have always dreamed of the day we would have plans offered to us like they have in the USA..........

When we had DSL through AT&T we did have a cap and got hit with a $10 overage charge a couple of times, but the service we have now (still through AT&T but we switched to their Uverse service as soon as it became available here) has no cap at all. But if we only went over on occasion with 2 computers used to support an MMORPG habit, an iPod Touch, three internet-connected gaming systems, and a blu-ray player, and every device used for Netflix and Hulu at times, I don't think caps are something an average user needs to worry about.

We have AT&T and they have the monopoly if you don't want cable. They don't even have enought ports to support all the requests for internet in our area. I hate our service with them, but what do you do. I haven't seen or heard anything about caps, but I don't really think we use that much, but I could be wrong. They don't have U-verse in our area either.

We don't download movies or anything on the phone we have, or the ipad. We cut cable so long ago, and use a roku box. I got tired of all these companies bleeding us dry. So we make sure they get nothing extra from us.

We don't download movies or anything on the phone we have, or the ipad. We cut cable so long ago, and use a roku box. I got tired of all these companies bleeding us dry. So we make sure they get nothing extra from us.

Well that's where you have to be careful as everything you stream counts, be it from an IPad, Xbox or Roku. My cable company is also my internet provider and doesn't have any caps for now but I dread the day they decide to have them.

When we had DSL through AT&T we did have a cap and got hit with a $10 overage charge a couple of times, but the service we have now (still through AT&T but we switched to their Uverse service as soon as it became available here) has no cap at all. But if we only went over on occasion with 2 computers used to support an MMORPG habit, an iPod Touch, three internet-connected gaming systems, and a blu-ray player, and every device used for Netflix and Hulu at times, I don't think caps are something an average user needs to worry about.

Well if our AT&T DSL actually has a cap, they have never informed us about its existence, nor have they provided any means for us to monitor our usage. I'm guessing that if we DID have a cap, we'd come pretty close to it or exceed it regularly, because DH is ALWAYS streaming (at least 12 hours a day), and he works at home uploading and downloading enormous data bases, and we have multiple lap tops, tablets, and smartphones on the connection for most of the day (3 people home almost 24/7). I'd guess that any actual cap, if enforced would affect us negatively.

Actually, if you read the comments on that page you'll find reports of some enforcement. It seems to vary by market.

I'm not in the same county the first complaint mentions but I'm only a few counties over and was at the time in the same situation - AT&T DSL or cable were the only broadband options available. And when Uverse did become available, less than a year ago, AT&T used those overage charges as a sales tool in their calls about upgrading.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter