Internet Coupons? Not at Wal-Mart?

JennyKS

Mouseketeer
OK, I know there are lots of threads about coupons lately but this just happened to me today. I use coupons. Some things I can't use off brand. My daughter uses Cetaphil lotion and the Wal-Mart brand doesn't help like Cetaphil does. So, I always go to manufacturer websits before I do my shopping and check for coupons. Today when I went to check out the lady told me, we don't take internet coupons anymore. Really?

Weird right? The lady told me that they get too many fake internet coupons. I was just floored. Some of the stuff I made her take back off because I'll go to Target and use my coupons there. I guess just the principal of it. I did email Wal-Mart but don't know if I will get a response. She couldn't tell me if it was just the Wal-Mart I was at, or all Wal-Marts.

I guess I'll print off that policy and just keep it in my purse.

Thanks!

Scanning the bar code should verify if it is a valid coupon. I can't see not taking one unless the bar code is illegible, or doesn't work when they scan it.

My experience has been that Walmart, like Disney and probably any other enterprise that size, has plenty of first-line employees who don't really know store policies. My mother had to go all the way up to the assistant store manager to be able to print pictures from our Photopass CD because both the photo clerk and the photo dept manager said that they won't print professional pictures regardless of the release. Actually, they gave the same reasoning you got about the coupons - too many people faking releases. That isn't in line with chain policy but it was a headache and now my mom understands why I said just to take the disc to CVS in the first place.

If you want to get some action on this, make a phone call to the Walmart Home Office at 1-800-925-6278 and tell them what exactly took place at the register (make sure you have a store receipt so you can make reference to the store number).

And to make it stick -- mention the word "Target". Walmart has been getting a number of disgruntled Target shoppers, of late (due to some recent internet boycott) and they will do whatever it takes to keep people shopping at WM.

I guarantee after you hang-up, if your local store not accepting internet coupons is going against current Walmart policy, that store manager will be getting a phone call from Arkansas.

I'm going to add that according to the name tag the lady has worked there 12 years. She was not new. She did not even try to scan the coupons. And I have them in my hand and the are completely readable. They have manufacturer on them and they have an address to mail them to. They were not expired, I had just printed them. They were for Cetaphil and soft scrub. I just don't want anyone thinking that I tried to pull a fast one. I happen to work part time at a retail store (K-Mart, the prices are to high even with my discount so I don't shop there) so I know how you have to make sure your coupons match the product you buy. Now if my grocery store stops taking internet coupons I'm in serious trouble. It's the only way my daughter gets a "treat" every once in awhile.

Thanks for the phone number, I might just call.

Most stores around me will not take internet coupons either. Not just Wal-Mart but the other grocery stores as well reject them.

I just used some internet coupons from coupons.com at walmart yesterday. Two were for Right Guard 5 (save $3 on 2 and save $1 on 1) deoderant and one was for Childrens Claritin ($3 off 4oz liquid). The checker had to do something to get the register to take the coupons because it beeped after each one and I noticed that the register said something like "Is this a valid coupon". He took them though without a word.

I would contact walmart and see if this is something that they allow individual stores to do. Sometimes they will allow stores to make these decisions because a single location could be having trouble even though, as a whole, the company is not.

Most stores around me will not take internet coupons either. Not just Wal-Mart but the other grocery stores as well reject them.

Really? That would stink. I admit that I haven't been a big coupon user but this week I worked really hard to coordinate my internet coupons and other coupons with my store's sale ad and our meals. Today at the grocery store I saved $7.25 using printed coupons (not a lot, but hey it's a start). The checker did have to call for an override and had to show the coupons to the head cashier. I would have been bummed to have done all that work and not been able to use the coupons.

I had a similar encounter recently at Walmart. I had two coupons directly from a large food company's consumer relations department from a complaint I had made. They were black and white coupons on printer paper with full bar codes and all. They took one coupon because it had an expiration date on it, but wouldn't take the other one because it said "no expiration" on it. Uh, ok. :confused3

Weird right? The lady told me that they get too many fake internet coupons. I was just floored. Some of the stuff I made her take back off because I'll go to Target and use my coupons there. I guess just the principal of it. I did email Wal-Mart but don't know if I will get a response. She couldn't tell me if it was just the Wal-Mart I was at, or all Wal-Marts.

I guess I'll print off that policy and just keep it in my purse.

Thanks!

I did extactly the same thing I printed out the coupon for the milk and cookies from face book and they said they dont take it. I took my bus to tartget and did not have a problem. I emailed walmart with the exact store I went to and the store called me back. I explained the sitituation, I said I am not asking for anything but from now on I will take my bus to target, they had no problem with the coupon. Then the next day a higher up called I did not return the call because I was not looking to get anything. Walmart will only hurt themselves. So it does pay to email them. But I have not been back to walmart and wont. Jo

If it's not a small mom and pop type place, always find out the corporate policy if you are having any trouble. You can check sites like Afullcup.com (just one example) and they will have all the different companies' policies on coupons there. Many times individual locations and workers try to set their own policies disregarding their corporate policy. In most cases, you will be able to do whatever the corporate policy says you can do.

I've not had a problem with printed internet coupons either at Wal-mart or my local grocery stores. But what I did have a problem with at Wal-mart was a coupon from the newspaper for a movie awhile back.

The goofy cashier did not even try to scan it before questioning me. She wanted to know where I got it and on and on-you could tell it was newsprint paper. She tried to tell me it wasn't a valid coupon. I asked her how she knew if she hadn't even scanned it. The CSM came over and scanned and the coupon worked immediately. I don't know if some just want to be argumentative or don't know how their job works or what.

I will say this when I go to Wal-mart I do try to avoid certain cashiers' lines. Not because of the coupon issue, but some take way too much time (sometimes there's a reason that line looks short) or whine the whole time. One lady was so bad about complaining that I called the store on my way home and told the manager.

I had a problem once when internet coupons first started getting popular, but that was at least a year or two ago. Now, I don't have any issues. I'd just print out that link & take it with you.

I work at walmart and can tell you that they have been really cracking down on Internet coupons lately. We can take black and white internet coupons, but they often look the same as photocopied coupons, which are prohibited. There is a very fine line between the two.

Also, as a PP mentioned, they couldn't take her "no expiration" coupon. This has also been a headache with all of the fake coupons out there, most recently the Free Doritos coupon with no expiration date. I believe that we can no longer take coupons without an expiration date and definitely not any coupons for free items with no expiration date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter