• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

International crowd levels and school breaks

correctcraft97

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone. Long time reader and podcast viewer. In the early stages of another trip to wdw in the fall of 2015. Our favorite time has always been mid-late october. Last year we stayed the week of the 22nd. It was unseasonably hot and very crowded. I talked to a very nice older cast member who confirmed the odd weather and higer crowd levels. Is this a popular time for international travelers (Brazil) etc. To hit wdw? Are any locals on here to verify any school breaks in october thru December? Im trying to pick a new time to go and was curious. I have been reading tons of touring plans but nothing really says when schools are out. They usually just mention a crowd score. Most of october is a low crowd score but people say it is getting busier and busier. What would a good recommendation for November or December with the lowest crowds? Any personal experiences?
Thanks in advance

You'll find tour groups any time of the year but January and July are the most concentrated months. October has definitely changed over the years and now sees higher numbers than it once did. We almost always travel the last week of October and have watched the crowds continue to grow with each passing year. As per your question, the first week of December is a great time to visit.

That's the week I had in mind this time. Anybody have any pros or cons for this week? I think pop warner is close to that time also.

Hi everyone. Long time reader and podcast viewer. In the early stages of another trip to wdw in the fall of 2015. Our favorite time has always been mid-late october. Last year we stayed the week of the 22nd. It was unseasonably hot and very crowded. I talked to a very nice older cast member who confirmed the odd weather and higer crowd levels. Is this a popular time for international travelers (Brazil) etc. To hit wdw? Are any locals on here to verify any school breaks in october thru December? Im trying to pick a new time to go and was curious. I have been reading tons of touring plans but nothing really says when schools are out. They usually just mention a crowd score. Most of october is a low crowd score but people say it is getting busier and busier. What would a good recommendation for November or December with the lowest crowds? Any personal experiences?
Thanks in advance

We have no holidays on this period. Some colleges have a week off in October but it's whatever week the 12th and 15th are in!

Sometimes there are a few school groups who go to celebrate their high school graduation, but it's rare, it usually happens by the end of November.

Also, lots of school have their test period on the last week of October, as lots of schools have monthly test weeks. So if it's full, not our fault :goodvibes:

We just switched to a balanced calendar (year round school) in my district and we now have a fall break the last week of October. Many other districts in Michigan who have switched to a balanced calendar have a fall break sometime near the end of October.

Before I married my wife who is a teacher and is limited on her vacation options, I used to go with friends the week after Thanksgiving every year. The place was empty ever year.

It's been quite a few years since I went at this time, but might be an option if the pattern hasn't changed.

Unfortunately, there are less and less slow times at WDW. We have typically gone in Sept and have noticed the increase in crowds during that time. I think this is b/c Disney has narrowed the free dining promo so much that people are willing to pull their kids out of school. That amazes me b/c I wasn't even allowed to miss school when I was sick LOL. My mom would have never taken me out of school for vacation! But times have changed.

We homeschool so that is the only reason I take my kids during the school year ;) And that is another reason for some of the crowd increases in the school year. Homeschooling is growing quite a bit and we purposely avoid high crowd times.

I think the October increase is largely in part to so many schools having fall breaks in October. Many schools are having fall breaks now.

I remember reading about high crowds last Dec. Hoping that won't be repeated this year as we are going mid Dec. I am pretty much planning on higher crowds than we are used to.

Oh and if I were to recommend a week that I think the crowds will be low, it would be the week before Thanksgiving. We cannot go at that time but I would have if we'd been able to.

We have traveled in October before and have found lots of British tourists. Speaking with some, many mentioned they have school breaks during that time.

As others mentioned the first two weeks T-day are good for lower crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter