Interior Corridors?

mom2AidanAndEli

DIS Veteran
Purely a curiosity question! I see lots of times that people list interior corridors as one of the advantages of the deluxe resorts over moderate and values. Why? This isn't a snarky question! I honestly just haven't been able to think of why that's an advantage! Only thing I've come up with is maybe walking to/from your room to catch a bus when it's raining. But you still have to go outside at some point, right? Other than that, I can't come up with anything! :confused3

For me hotels w/o interior corridors remind me of being in a motel in the nasty section of Hampton beach where I spent beach week after high school... Wondering if someone is going to break in, etc.

Or this wretched motel we stayed at next to Nubble lighthouse with kids running and screaming down the corridors, etc.!!!

But that's me...

I don't get it either. And actually we always drive, and with the moderates you can usually park closer to your room, and then the walk to the car is shorter.

It's a "hotel vs motel" thing.

In Disney resort -speak, it's often deluxe vs mod/value.

It's personal preference. I like the feel of a hotel with interior halls and a pretty lobby, restaurants, cocktail lounge that are all located in the same building.

Purely a curiosity question! I see lots of times that people list interior corridors as one of the advantages of the deluxe resorts over moderate and values. Why? This isn't a snarky question! I honestly just haven't been able to think of why that's an advantage! Only thing I've come up with is maybe walking to/from your room to catch a bus when it's raining. But you still have to go outside at some point, right? Other than that, I can't come up with anything! :confused3

For us it's more of a preference than an advantage as we like leaving our room into a hallway rather than outside. With that said, interior corridors can be an advantage if you are spending time at your resort and it is raining as dining options, for example, are convenient to get to without having to go outside in the rain.

Interior corridors also allow deluxe resort rooms to have balconies or patios. That's a pretty big advantage.

I would think exterior corridors would tend to draw more noise. Since people are outside, they aren't thinking about using quiet voices. When walking down a quiet hotel hallway, most people instinctively speak lower or whisper. Not so much when walking outside. In addition, I'd think you'd be subject to more noise from courtyards, pathways, pools, etc. You could experience this from the balconies as well, but I'd think it would be more likely with the exterior halls.

The exterior hall also means you have no outside space to yourself. Inside halls allow you to have a private patio or balcony on your room, in most cases.

That's a good question. I guess I can't imagine an upscale hotel (let's say like the Four Seasons) having exterior hallways.

On the other hand, if you have a car, there are real plusses to having outdoor access and being able to park close. I love how you can park your car right in front at OKW for example.

But then when I want to eat and it's storming out, I like being able to just take an elevator rather than having to walk outside.

Most motel/hotel rooms that I have stayed in have one window, unless you have a suite. In a motel, you see every one that walks by your room, and if your drapes are not drawn, they can see in your room. In a hotel (interior corridors) while technically someone may be able to see into your room, they are not walking by the window. The view from a hotel may not always be spectacular, but it will likely be better than the view from a motel window. And yes, we do spend a considerable amount of time in our rooms.

We will stay in the moderates or the deluxes - but do prefer the deluxes. Interior hallways mean the ability to have balconies, and that is a HUGE plus for us. Love a little outdoor private space. :cloud9:

As a woman who travels alone at times, I like an interior hallway. I don't like to think of someone waiting inside their car to hurt me. (I know, too much tv-but it does happen in real life, too) I just feel a little safer inside. Not too many places to hide in a hallway.
Also, when I travel with the kids, I like to have an interior hallway so if there is rain, the kids are not schlepping wet mud in the room.

Not just the balconies, but there's something to be said for stepping outside your room and into an air-conditioned hallway as opposed to the muggy humidity- especially true for us summertime travelers.

I much prefer the interior hallways. I will admit it's largely just the atmosphere - the outside walkways make it feel much more Motel 6-ish. But having gone several times when it was HOT, the interior hallways also have a big practical advantage. No matter how far the walk to your room is, at least once you are in the building it's cool.

That was one of the things I liked best about YC (though not my favorite resort overall), being all in one building, there was a lot of opportunities to stay in the AC. While I LOVED Poly, everything being in separate buildings did cause it to lose some of the appeal that the interior hallways should give.

I'm not gonna lie...SNAKES. And other critters. Now I know this is an irrational phobia, and they can get in a room regardless. That being said, my crazy mind much prefers interior hallways and upper floor rooms.

I just have this horrible fear one is going to slither in when Mousekeeping has the door open to our room.

I'm not gonna lie...SNAKES. And other critters. Now I know this is an irrational phobia, and they can get in a room regardless. That being said, my crazy mind much prefers interior hallways and upper floor rooms. I just have this horrible fear one is going to slither in when Mousekeeping has the door open to our room.

Oh my goodness! Now I'm going to remember this when I make my room requests for AoA. Lol

I like the exterior walkways simply because of how often we use the pools! I like walking back in the heat instead of wet and in the air conditioning. But at same time I'd love a balcony so I would get over it if we stayed deluxe instead of 2 moderate rooms!

not that this happens very much but I was at WDW during Hurricane Frances where guests were confined indoors for 2 days, and had I been staying at say Animal Kingdom Lodge instead of Pop Century I might have been able to actually leave the room sometime in those 2 days.

Not just the balconies, but there's something to be said for stepping outside your room and into an air-conditioned hallway as opposed to the muggy humidity- especially true for us summertime travelers.

See, this is what we LOVE about Pop Century in the summer. Nothing gets us going more than walking from our ice cold room out into that delicious muggy air. We LOVE it. Truly..

We are AKL addicts, I will admit. But it is more the whole resort, encompassed vs. interior hallways.

To me, it doesn't matter what my hallway or room are looking like - as long as they are clean!

I'm with shyjade!! We have only stayed at moderates, and I'm always checking every inch when get to the room for a snake etc. yes, I know I sound like an irrational fool.
This next trip we are trying deluxe and I'm positive I will still search, but I think I will be a LITTLE bit more @ ease :S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter