interesting Tauck idea...

kristilew

DIS Veteran
Got this from Tauck today. As big Ken Burns fans, we would definitely be interested if one of these trips went to a park or area we want to see. We'll have to see what develops with it.

Beginning in 2011, Tauck is partnering with award-winning documentary filmmaker Ken Burns and his longtime collaborator Dayton Duncan to bring the stories from their films and books to life in first-hand travel experiences:Ken Burns American Journeys.

Ken and Dayton have received critical acclaim over the last 30 years for exploring American culture and history in highly regarded films including "The Civil War," "Jazz," "The National Parks: America’s Best Idea," and most recently the "10th Inning." They are master American storytellers.

Our newKen Burns American Journeys will initially focus on three areas. Dayton and Ken will help us design new U.S. itineraries inspired by their films, the first of which we will announce later this year. We are also creating special signature events featuring appearances by Ken or Dayton. Finally, on several of our U.S. Tauck World Discovery, Culturious and Tauck Bridges trips, our guests will enjoy a series of short, exclusive films on tour. Besides sharing Ken's and Dayton's perspectives, these films will convey the history, cultural significance and personal stories of the people who shaped the places our guests will visit during their trip.

Tauck has been telling the story of America's history and culture to our guests for 85 years. Adding Ken and Dayton's unique voice to the efforts of our award-winning operations team, we're confident that we will take our guests' experiences to an even higher level.

Already, the excitement and degree of collaboration we feel in this partnership have been nothing short of inspiring. We've really been rolling up our sleeves with Ken and Dayton. They have a great vision of how they can weave stories into our journeys that our guests can then experience first-hand. Together, we will rediscover the many reasons why travelers should "See America First." We're looking forward to sharing much more information in the coming months and hope you'll join us in 2011 on one of these memorable journeys.

Oh, wow! That *definitely* sounds interesting to me!!!

I may need to go sign up at Tauck's site or something...

Sayhello

We weren't even considering Yosemite until we watched the Ken Burns National Parks series on PBS last winter. But after seeing the series we decided that's where we wanted to go. I've aleady been thinking about visiting Yellowstone next summer and am seriously considering the Tauck Bridges Cowboy Country trip. Probably won't make a decision until the Galapagos trip is paid for, but I've been doing some comparisons between the TB, ABD and Austin Lehman itineraries and at this point I'm leaning towards Tauck.

I received the new Tauck Bridges 2011 brochure today and I thought the members of this board might be interested in Tauck's new Bridges trips. They have added an Egypt:Jewels Along the Nile 12-day trip, an Alpine Adventure 8-day tour that includes Switzerland, Austria and Germany, and a re-cap of a previous Tauck Bridges tour - The Sweet Life: Rome and Sorrento. The Sweet Life tour includes a stay at the St. Regis Grand and an after-hours guided Vatican visit - double price $3490. The Alpine Adventure's double price is $3990 and appears to be a very active trip: whitewater rafting at Area 47, time at Switzerland's largest rope park (hmm), hiking and mountain biking. Tauck's Egypt tour includes a 4-night cruise on the Nile Adventurer and starts at $5790 - double. There is also a New York:Family Fun in the Big Apple that includes 5 nights at the Waldorf-Astoria - a Broadway show "In the Heights" - Ellis Island and a visit to Ground Zero. That tour price is $2990 for a double with higher prices for trips in December. One other note - Tauck's Castles & Kings tour has chosen "The Wizard of Oz" for their 2011 dates. I remember a board member's unhappiness with their 2010 - "Oliver Twist" - so I thought that I would mention it. In closing, I am lurker on this wonderful board and would like to thank everyone for their very informative trip reports!

I'd love to do a Civil War-themed trip with knowledgeable guides. I've been to a few battlefields with my brother (and fellow history buff), but think a real tour based on Burns' wonderful series would be awesome.

I'd love to do a Civil War-themed trip with knowledgeable guides. I've been to a few battlefields with my brother (and fellow history buff), but think a real tour based on Burns' wonderful series would be awesome.

Wow! I was thinking about his National Parks stuff. But a Civil War trip would be so cool!

Looks like we are going to be booking a few trips with Tauck next year.Was thinking about Yellowstone with ABD but looks like that's not going to happen now.

Oh, wow! That *definitely* sounds interesting to me!!!

I may need to go sign up at Tauck's site or something...

Sayhello

If you do go to the TB website, you will find that their Red Rocks and Painted Canyons trip (SWS) sold out their spring mid April 2011 trip BEFORE the just posted the 2011 prices. ABD does not seem to do a SWS mid April 2011 though demand looks there. Guess they are some true believers in TB. (Would that ever happen at ABD these days?)

BTW the actor who played John Muir and did some narration in Ken Burns National Parks: America's Best Idea, Episode 1, also "played" John Muir in the ABD Golden Path trip. His photo used to be on the ABD website for historical figures on that trip and he kept the kids rapt. After he left character, he told us about the documentary (no cell phone).

ABD and TB, joined in history.

I noticed too that for the last few weeks TB has had multiple summertime dates sold out for each of their itineraries, even though the 2011 prices hadn't been released yet. They have some very loyal customers. Like I mentioned before, every family except us on our California trip this past summer was a return customer, and some were on their 8th and 9th Tauck trip.

I noticed too that for the last few weeks TB has had multiple summertime dates sold out for each of their itineraries, even though the 2011 prices hadn't been released yet. They have some very loyal customers. Like I mentioned before, every family except us on our California trip this past summer was a return customer, and some were on their 8th and 9th Tauck trip.

That's because Tauck knows how to treat their return guests with free hotel nights and competitive pricing...:thumbsup2

Maybe AbD needs to take notice. AbD bosses, are you reading this?? :rolleyes1

A little more info on the Ken Burns partnership:

Burns and his longtime collaborator Dayton Duncan will create two Tauck itineraries for 2011, one for national parks in the Southwest and other for Civil War sites in Washington D.C., Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. In addition, Burns and Duncan will produce more than 30 documentaries, five to 15 minutes long, to be shown while guests are transported by motorcoach on a dozen other Tauck trips.

Here's the link to the entire article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20101008/ap_tr_ge/us_travel_brief_ken_burns_tours

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter