Interesting story about The Disney Stores

Ugh. I know exactly what he is talking about.

In August before seeing "Movin Out" on Broadway, my boyfriend and I did some shopping on fifth. Me, being the little Disney obsessive princess that I am, dragged him into the store.

While the Princess section was nicely themed, most of the store was quite dull. Same merchandise everywhere. I tried to find snowglobes for about fifteen minutes before I gave up.

On to the third floor expecting to look at some awesome Disney Art, but I was sadly mistaken. There were hardly any cels or other artwork. In fact, the place was filled with the same stuff that the rest of the store held.

Oh well. Theres always DTD for all my unique shopping needs...nowehere near New York :(

If you haven't been to a Disney Store lately, you might want to check one out. Ours had several new items recently including adult clothing, snowglobes, ornaments and even blankets. I hope that this is just the start of improving the stores but I did at least find some things that I wanted and I don't remember the last time that happened!

Originally posted by Planogirl
If you haven't been to a Disney Store lately, you might want to check one out. Ours had several new items recently including adult clothing, snowglobes, ornaments and even blankets. I hope that this is just the start of improving the stores but I did at least find some things that I wanted and I don't remember the last time that happened!

The Disney Store in my mall did have more adult shirts/night shirts. The one on 5th Ave, however, has gone drastically downhill.

I'd have to agree. My local Disney Store (Mobile, AL) has nothing in it. Yea, it's got a few tee shirts and a pile of stuffed animals. But no items your likely to see in the Disney Catalog. I'd love to be able to run over there and buy a snow globe or maybe some Pooh dishes. But NOOOO they don't carry them. "Not a big enough market for those items." I'm told. Well, fudge! I either have to order from the Catalog or over the net. Too bad Disney has let this happen. :(

The Buffalo stores are slowly coming back to normal. I have only seen 2 of the 3, but I would say in 6 months it will be back to its usual self. They actually have a selection of different shirts, sweatshirts, and pajamas for adults. The snowglobe section still needs help, but they have to get rid of the older stuff first.

Still hoping for the figurines and more mugs to be back in the stores, though!

I have been hearing that the Disney Stores are supposed to begin carrying more "adult"-type items. I would take this to mean that more adult-size clothing, globes, etc. I recently received a mailing from the lovely BankOne people stating this fact as well.

Maybe, just maybe they've finally realized the failure of the Home & Kids concept that has taken over so many of these stores. Maybe this is also a precursor to the oft-rumored sale of the stores. A test run so to speak to see how viable their performance can be.

Brian

The Disney Store near our house has went down hill. They have little if anything for adults(other than nightshirts) and mainly have kids toys/stuffed animals or clothes. What was once a store where me and my wife would buy somethingf now has little that we or are kids want. Any alot of things they do have can be bought elsewhere cheaper.

Sebastian, try the Disney Catalog Outlet over in Foley. they usually have a better selection and of course better prices!!

The store in Pensacola is better now than it has been in a year, though.

In a newsletter I received from Disney Visa just thsi week it stated that the Disney Stores are going to start carryng more collectibles and adult clothing "back by popular demand" I think ti said.

I hope so, cause my Disney store has been lame for quite soem time, even after the remodeling thsi summer. Most of the Disney stores around me have closed, but the one closest to me is a top seller for soem reason.

I rmember the days of all the cool stuff they had, shoot we have an office full of stuff. I don't think I've bought anything in several years excpet princess stuff for my girls. Even they are getting burned out on it.

I, for one, would rather see TDS get axed than watch it barely hang on as a gap with princess outfits, cheaply made plush and Mickey ears.
Just like I'd rather see DL shut down than become a cheap kiddie playground with outrageously over-priced plush and plastic shops.
The company really screwed themselves with TDS. It wasn't the fault of the customer; it was Disney's refusal to produce better merchandise.
Now, their rep is so damaged that I don't think anything can cure TDS. It is a lost cause.
But, you know, I don't feel like writing a humongous essay right now; so I'll just leave this right here.

I work for our local Disney Store and most say I can't believe what people are saying. I would much rather buy Disney product from the Disney Store rather then say Wal-Mart or Kmart. The quality of the product is much better.
Not to mention we are now starting to get more and more stuff in for adults and infants. We have mugs back as well as the mini snow globes. And this is the direction the guests wanted us to go in. This is what the guest were asking for.
After reading the article that guy wrote I was very insulted by what he had to say about castmembers being rude. At my store that could not be farther from the truth
::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

While it does not have the low and high end collectibles of yesteryear, my Disney Store is beginning to look more like "itself". It has some very nice snowglobes, adult clothing and even infant items again. Keep in mind that retail in general, not just Disney, was hit very hard these last few years. Entire stores, very nice ones at that, have ceased to exist entirely. I for one am willing to keep hoping that the Disney Stores will get back to normal. I still think it would be nice if they had some of the "charm" of the stores in the theme parks (e.g. a stationary/book corner, some gift items, nice open stock pins, some toys, some clothes-sort of the Emporium in miniature).

When we left CA my wife and I were both frustrated with the store in Stockton, she's a former TDS CM and we both saw the selection going down hill. We moved here and they closed the store, but last weekend we were in Eugene, OR and were both very happy to see a good selection of Adult items, gifts and childrens items. Seems like they went back to the old school again.

I am from Manchester,CT. and I am very lucky to have some of the nicest cm in the world.they still go out of there way to greet people as they enter the store and are always smiling and go out of there way to help you. i have been going there since it opened and I am greeted by name every time I go.I am not sure if thats a good thing since it means I am there to much.that said i too miss the adult items of yesteryear.i was sadend to see so much childrens stuff over the past few years but i was able to get a lot of clearance toys for the christmas toy drive.The cm's in my store have said that there will be more adult items this year.so far we have clothes,snowglobes,mugs,some throws,the kitchen appliances and thank god ornaments for christmas.last year i was heartbroken that they had almost none.i will still always love going to my ds even just to look around and the kids i nanny for would never think of going to the mall without setting foot in it.i hope it will come alive again with more adult merchandise because i would hate to have it close.:jumping1: :jumping1: :

Years ago, my husband and I used to laugh because as soon as we set foot in the Disney store, a CM would be right there to say hi. We used to have a contest to see if we could "sneak by" the CM at the door without being greeted. I used to love going into the Disney store, it reminded me of being at Walt Disney World, and always made me look forward to my next trip.

That being said, the same store is now a joke. You step inside and there is loud pop music blaring, and instead of the movie or parks footage you used to see, there's cheesy music videos. The products are all cheap plastic toys that I could buy from any other department store, and forget about the CM's. They're all standing in the back gossiping and instead of "greeting" the guests. I don't mean to insult any current CM's, but that's just the state of the store in my area. I'm glad to hear that they're trying to turn things around.

Right now, the only thing I'd ever buy in TDS is my park tickets or Disney Dollars.

I use to buy most of my kids clothes from the store and lately they haven't had any clothes besides nightgowns. Very disappointing.

We do have some kids clothes in the stores now, so come back and take a look. (For a month or so, we DID only have t shirts and sleepwear) There was a memo about the kids clothing situation recently.......... in order to bring back adult/family product, and to showcase all our holiday toys, they had to scale back the kids clothing somewhat. Iwould hope to see us bring in even more kids clothes early next year, however.

Starting today, for this weekend, free DVd with $75 purchase (select group of DVDs to choose from)

After reading the above, I just HAD to chime in!!! DS7 and I hadn't been to TDS in several years but on the way home from the hospital the other day, DS wanted to go. So we went to our local (in Union Station, St. Louis). We had lunch first and then went to the store. When we entered the store, a CM (I think it was the manager and I think her name was Brenda) greeted us and noticed that I was having trouble juggling 2 coats, 2 clamshell boxes from leftover lunch, and DS's drink. She asked if she could help me and I happily accepted her offer. She took our coats and put them in a big bag so they were easier to manage. She then took our leftover boxes, taped them shut so they wouldn't leak, and put them in a small bag. She then proceeded to show us around the store where nearly EVERYTHING was on SALE! She showed us all of the new merchandise, including (adults) t-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, blankets, ornaments, snowglobes, and night shirts. When I told her that Tink is my favorite, she pointed out some things that might interest me. DS found a POTC and HM shirt--both only $7.99!!! After picking up some shirts and other things, DS found one of those light-up, twirly things that cost $500 + your first born at the parks. It was a Stitch one (his favorite character). I asked one of the other CM if she would grab one while I kept DS busy so that I could give it to him as a surprise on our trip. Not only did she do that, she wrapped it in a separate bag and put it at the bottom of the bag so he wouldn't see it!!!

Point is, these dedicated CMs went out of their way to help us and it just SO reinforced that "special" feeling that only Disney can provide. I couldn't wait to get home and tell all of my friends and family about the experience. I was so "high" from the experience I had a wonderful day after that! I also got a 20% off coupon to return over the weekend and you can bet I will be there to pick up some Christmas presents and visit our new friends!!! Hope to see others there too!

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving!!!:earsgirl:

I was at a mall last week on the opposite side of town and we popped into the Disney Store. I was surprised to see more adult clothing and some househould things that I hadn't seen in a long time. When I got home I called my friend and told her to try that mall.....now after seeing this thread, I'll check out the store nearer home as it looks like they are making changes everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter