Interesting phone call with dining res. tech support...

ILoveMyGirls

DIS Veteran
Some of you may have read the post about me being prompted for my credit card info. when I booked Chef Mickey the other night. Some things I found out.

1. System allowed me to make a reservation when the system was down (tech. prob. being addressed now).

2. Some restaurants such as Chef Mickey's will require a credit card in order to reserve a reservation in 2011. I may have been prompted for my credit card when they were testing this added feature.

3. They are changing the system in 2011 to reflect 2 credits instead of 1 for many of the restaurants. We don't use the dining plan because we stay off-site but I thought many of you would be interested in hearing this.

Hope this provides some useful info. for you all.

The official dining plan brochures for 2011 are already out. There is only one current one-credit DDP restaurant switching to 2 credits, which is Le Cellier, and only for dinner. That part of the information you received is not correct at this time. Because the non-Disney restaurants aren't on the official lists yet, there is a possibility some of them may switch to 2 credits, but it seems unlikely, and even if they did that wouldn't equal "many of the restaurants" unless all the non-Disney restaurants at Epcot switched to 2 credits and I can't see places like Tutto Italia, San Angel or Tokyo Dining switching to 2 credits.

But to be fair, I'm sure that a lot of people will be thrilled if and when Disney actually does require credit card holds for reservations, even if it is only at the more popular ones.

i suspect it will be for the more popular restaurants. i bet they are doing this because some don't show up for reservations.

I had to give my info for Akershus and Mama Melrose's for the Fantasmic package. I think they said if I don't cancel at least 48 hours in advance, I will be charged $10 for each person on my ressie.

Personally, I think it's a great idea.

I had to give my info for Akershus and Mama Melrose's for the Fantasmic package. I think they said if I don't cancel at least 48 hours in advance, I will be charged $10 for each person on my ressie.

Personally, I think it's a great idea.

They've pretty much always required a credit card guarantee for the Fantasmic pkgs, dinner shows, Akershus, and CRT.

Several years ago we were charged a $10.00 no show fee at Akershus, when one of us woke up sick that morning and couldn't go. I thought that as long as the others showed up we wouldn't be charged, so I stayed in bed that morning, but found a $10.00 charge on my credit card when I got home. I called to check on it and was told it was because we showed up one short at Akershus.

They charge if you show up one short, I had no clue they would do that, wow.

They've pretty much always required a credit card guarantee for the Fantasmic pkgs, dinner shows, Akershus, and CRT.

Several years ago we were charged a $10.00 no show fee at Akershus, when one of us woke up sick that morning and couldn't go. I thought that as long as the others showed up we wouldn't be charged, so I stayed in bed that morning, but found a $10.00 charge on my credit card when I got home. I called to check on it and was told it was because we showed up one short at Akershus.

Yes, the reports are that for the restaurants that do require a no-show guarantee, if ANYONE doesn't show up they charge you.

Not sure how that would go over if they started doing it for more restaurants. Right now the list of restaurants requiring a CC guarantee is VERY short and really doesn't have anything to do with their popularity.

The two Princess restaurants are included because people were openly brokering those reservations. California Grill has a CC guarantee because people were booking reservations just to get upstairs and watch fireworks, then leaving without ordering anything. V&A and the packages are "special" meal offerings.

This will be the first time we are going to a place that required a credit card, aside from the CM that appears to be a mistake, is the Candlelight Processional/dinner at Epcot. Now I know if I am ill that day I'll have to go anyway. I had no clue about what the previous posted said and am glad that I know about it now.

If you're ill you can TRY calling or going to your resort concierge and asking if you can cancel your package past the required cancellation window. But I wouldn't swear it will work.

If it is only one or a few persons from a larger party who will be absent due to illness I don't know what they will do as they can't change the number of persons on the reservation at that point. I would take that to the restaurant and plead my case there.

Thanks for that info, I am handicapped and normally post under the Disabilities thread. We are doing the Candlelight Processional the last day of our trip and I know my legs will be swollen like they are going to burst/very painful, that is why this no show thing caught my attn. I appreciate the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter