Interesting observations on the Magic 2/2

SnowWhite2

DIS Veteran
Several interesting facts from our Feb 2nd Eastern Magic cruise

The Castaway Club gift was definitely an upgrade from previous years. IMHO, they finally got it right. Except for that ship stack thingy - whatever that is. We used the bag around the ship, it was large enough to carry items in it and it zipped. The flip top drink containers were also nice.

At the CC reception, it was noted that DCL cruises have 50-60% repeat cruisers on each voyage. Much higher than the average cruise rate repeat sailers. Not much room to grow the business with that many repeat customers. Obviously, that is why the two ships are being built now instead of waiting for a more favorable currency exchange rate.

I won a DCL clock at the Clubhouse reception. Yeah!!

We again had LAPLAPL rotation - all four cruises have been the same rotation even with main or late seatings. It is my favorite main seating rotation and my least favorite late seating rotation.

What did really annoy me was the guy a few tables over that wore his shorts and tropical shirt to formal night WITH A PENN STATE CAP on his head. If he were within arms reach, I would have knocked that hat right off his head. You don't eat dinner with your baseball hat on. This guy was about 45 years old and should know better. :sad2:

The fruit at Goofy's was not ripe. It looked good but didn't have much taste. The pineapple was juicy, though.

Pikey has been relegated to a floater in the kids clubs. My kids were happy but I didn't see him the entire cruise.

The Superbowl party had more food on deck but was still a bit awkward in its placement. It was very windy and therefore a tad cold up on deck watching the ArielVision screen.

Ducky Williams was on our cruise and it was definitely an honor to hear the man discuss his work with Disney and see him sketch the characters. Went to both presentations and did not win a drawing. Went to the art auction to bid on his framed proofs and lost out on every one of them by about $50 - $100. I guess my winning streak ended early at the CC reception.

Didn't win at the DVC reception either. But did add on points and got nothing but a few pins. They gave out more stuff last year during the presentations and if you purchased.

The DVC stateroom gift was a travel log/scrapbook type bound book with a very nice pen and two DVC lanyards. Very nice and very classy. Best thing from DVC.

We didn't get to see Pikey at all (we were on the same cruise as you.) We did look for him. Someone said that they had seen him the Friday before, but didn't know if he had gotten off or not. Bingo just wasn't the same. :(

What really annoyed me at dinner was the 2 year old who's parents brought a DVD player to dinner. Why pay $4000 for a cruise for your kid to sit and watch Baby Einstein all the time? Even at Animator's Pallet during the show! Plus he was still sucking on a bottle, but that's another issue.

I did not like the new Character Breakfast. Last year they danced, etc and came around to each table. This year it was "interactive" and the characters danced and lead the kids around Parrot Cay. But if you weren't on the end of an aisle table you didn't have any personal interaction with them. I was very dissapointed (as were my kiddos.)

Overall this year's Eastern was better than last year's Western.

The stack thing is a little random, but our 1 year old loves chewing on it! I am really looking forward to finally getting on the Magic! Hopefully this November

Laurie,

Why is the LAPLAPL rotation your least favorite for second seating dining? This is the rotation I have requested for our upcoming Western and was just wondering.......

Linda

We didn't get to see Pikey at all (we were on the same cruise as you.) We did look for him. Someone said that they had seen him the Friday before, but didn't know if he had gotten off or not. Bingo just wasn't the same. :(

What really annoyed me at dinner was the 2 year old who's parents brought a DVD player to dinner. Why pay $4000 for a cruise for your kid to sit and watch Baby Einstein all the time? Even at Animator's Pallet during the show! Plus he was still sucking on a bottle, but that's another issue.

I did not like the new Character Breakfast. Last year they danced, etc and came around to each table. This year it was "interactive" and the characters danced and lead the kids around Parrot Cay. But if you weren't on the end of an aisle table you didn't have any personal interaction with them. I was very dissapointed (as were my kiddos.)

We also just got off the 2/2 Magic. We saw Pikey in the Oceaneer's Club--he ran the volcano activity and was quite funny (we were there at the end of it to pick up kids).

We skipped the character breakfast based on reviews here and what our servers told us. Based on what you said, that confirms we made the right decision!

Maybe the parents knew that was the only way to keep him happy during the long dinner. I would have been grateful he wasn't whining or screaming.

Laurie,

Why is the LAPLAPL rotation your least favorite for second seating dining? This is the rotation I have requested for our upcoming Western and was just wondering.......

Linda

I'm not the OP, but I wouldn't want LAPLAPL for the second seating as it is the latest rotation...8:30pm. As long as you don't mind eating that late you should be fine.

Maybe the parents knew that was the only way to keep him happy during the long dinner. I would have been grateful he wasn't whining or screaming.

I have to agree, and who cares what the other tables are doing? I am sure they had plently of quality throughout the entire week and maybe wanted dinner to be more on the quieter side.

Pikey has been relegated to a floater in the kids clubs. My kids were happy but I didn't see him the entire cruise.

"relegated" may not be the best word. Some posts imply that Pikey is getting exposure to kid's club to prepare him for a higher up position.

They gave a map of the itinerary to two people with the most cruises and was signed by captain Thorn, Christian and others. I won one. I also won my first clock. also if you spent $75 on the first night they gave you a coupon for 20% to be used on Thursday for purchase over $50, boy did i have fun.

I have to agree, and who cares what the other tables are doing? I am sure they had plently of quality throughout the entire week and maybe wanted dinner to be more on the quieter side.
I'm so glad someone commented on this.
I wish I had thought to bring our portable DVD player to dinner with us...it is really tough keeping a 2year old satisfied during dinner. My husband ended up missing a dinner because my daughter couldn't sit through it.

HOnestly, you do what you have to do. Try not to judge how other family's deal with their own children. You just don't know unless they are your own.

I'm not a fan of 'plugging' a child into mindless TV watching. HOWEVER, those dinners are looooonnngggg. I assume those parents wanted to assure that their child didn't ruin anyone else's dining experience. Kudos to them for that. I'm sure plenty of people would have complained if the child was restless, whining and crying throughout dinner.
So what are these stacking things?

Not trying to get off the topic of the main thread, but just wanting to give you guys something to think about before one judges............ Maybe the little boy has a mental disability.. I know with many Autistic children, videos are the only way to keep them without outburst.. Even if that is not the case, I give the parent koodos for knowing how to entertain the kid and making everyone elses dinner a better atmosphere..... The two three year old who gets up from th4e table and walks around the dining room to others tables and screems or talks so loud that I can not hear my server are the ones that bother me, not the ones that sit and stare at a DVD screen.:hug:

Thank you sooooooooooo much for the info on the new CC gift..... I was wondering what it was....... Now one question........ Did you get a lanyard???:confused3

Not trying to get off the topic of the main thread, but just wanting to give you guys something to think about before one judges............ Maybe the little boy has a mental disability.. I know with many Autistic children, videos are the only way to keep them without outburst..

Thanks for saying this. We have 2 autistic sons. We use the portable dvd to keep them calm on the long flight from California to WDW!. I've even used it while we wait for the many appointments we have to take our kids to. It keeps my 5 year old calm and quiet if we are going to have a long wait.

We used DD gameboy. And for anyone without an autistic child. A long wait for them can mean something as short or shorter than a minute. It could also be keeping with a home routine like watching TV while Mom is making dinner.

My biggest food complaint is the hashbrowns. They were horrible.

Denise in MI

We are sailing on the Magic on 4/19. I know we are booked for late seating but they told me our request was for 8:00. We start in AP , PC & L that is our rotation. Is the time different with the dinning room you start in? I am hoping our dinner isn't at 8:30 :sad2: It frustrates me that EVERY time I call the DCL reservation number each operator tells a different story. Thank goodness for these message boards :worship: .
Please send feeback on the dinner times. I'm a little confused :confused:

The late seating rotations are at 8, 8:15, or 8:30 (the early/main ones are 5:30,5:45, and 6). You go the same time each nite, regardless of restaurant. I am not sure how you know your dining rotation of the order of restaurants; that is not usually assigned till shortly before your trip. Hope that clarifies?

When I called the DCL reservations line I asked which night would be best to book Palo. She said let me check your reservation and she told me the rotation schedule of our reservation. Unfortunately we did not get into Palo. also, we won't be arriving on board (because of the GREAT airline itinerary) until 1:30/2:00. so I really don't think we will have a chance to get reservations at Palo:mad: I hope we do get 8:00. That would be the latest I would want to eat. we are traveling with 4 teenagers 3/16 year olds and 1/13 year old so the later seating is not bad. Gives us time to get ready for our show and dinner.

Thank you for reminding me that I should not judge. And your points were good ones, ones that I had not thought of. I'm the 1st to plug in a movie at home so I can get things done, so I'm not perfect either. But I did think it was strange. I didn't think of the other reasons they might need the DVD player, and I apologize if I upset someone. :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter