• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Interesting new book

All Aboard

Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas
First of all, I can't believe that I've been on this site for more than 10 years. Doesn't seem like that long. Anyhow, I just found a real interesting new book on the history of Disney World called "Project Future". There is a preview of the book as well as an interesting timeline and list of key players in the creation of Disney World at www.ProjectFutureBook.com. Looks like a pretty good read for a Disney history nut like me. I thought some of the others on this board might be interested.

Thank you for posting the title! That looks like a great book for me! I love WDW history!

On November 22, 1963, one airplane flight changed not only the future of Central Florida but also that of the entire nation.

Now, I love Disney and I love WDW, but please tell me if I am wrong that this sentence bothers me. This is the first sentence from the Project Future description and I am bothered by it. November 22, 1963 was the day President Kennedy was assassinated. That event changed the entire nation. Walt Disney's flight over central Florida was just one part of the creation of WDW. It's not as if a random flight that day gave him some wild idea that he never had before. I feel that the person who wrote this sentence is taking advantage of that date because of history and I think it is wrong.

Now, I love Disney and I love WDW, but please tell me if I am wrong that this sentence bothers me. This is the first sentence from the Project Future description and I am bothered by it. November 22, 1963 was the day President Kennedy was assassinated. That event changed the entire nation. Walt Disney's flight over central Florida was just one part of the creation of WDW. It's not as if a random flight that day gave him some wild idea that he never had before. I feel that the person who wrote this sentence is taking advantage of that date because of history and I think it is wrong.

Sadly, yes, this is true, that it is the same date that the land that WDW would one day be built upon was viewed by Walt from an airplane.

http://thisdayindisneyhistory.homestead.com/Nov22.html

Walt Disney and a group of associates fly over the coast of Florida aboard a Grumman Gulfstream I - Disney's private corporate plane. (Walt and his entourage of top executives have taken off from Tampa where they had arrived the night before.) The aerial view confirms Walt's doubts about building a theme park by the ocean. They fly inland over Orlando, circling the forests and swamps for the very first time. From the air they see the good road network below (which includes Interstate 4, Florida's Turnpike and McCoy Air Force Base - soon to be Orlando International Airport). Walt has a good feeling about this site. This is followed with a stop in New Orleans to refuel for the trip back to Burbank, California. It is during the stop in New Orleans that they learn of U.S. President Kennedy's assassination in Texas, just hours before.

Disneyland will close the following day in honor of President Kennedy (who visited the park, as Senator, in 1959.)

I thought it was kind of neat that they used the name "Ayefour" Publishing. Referencing one of the bogus company names that Disney used to purchase land.

I thought it was kind of neat that they used the name "Ayefour" Publishing. Referencing one of the bogus company names that Disney used to purchase land.

That is cool, I didn't catch that when I looked up the book.

I'm not sure any disrespect was intended. It is interesting that the day the nation was thrown into turmoil something extraordinary was in the works.

Another conicdence about that date is that The Beatles second album was released in the UK. This is the album that became "Meet The Beatles" in the U.S. 2 1/2 months later they were on Ed Sullivan and yet another interesting chapter in history began.

I've kind of sworn off Disney books because I've read quite a few, but this one might be interesting. :earsboy:

Thanks for the heads up! I , too, am a big fan of books about Disney and how WDW evolved. This should be a nice one to add to my collection.

I went to my local BAM store and inquired about this book but they said it hasn't been added to their catalog yet? So for right now I guess ordering online is the best bet. Unless someone has had better luck somewhere else?

Sorry, I don't see the problem here..........

I wonder if this book will cover any new ground or reveal any previously unknown aspects of this story.

I've read two books that cover this topic very well - Married to the Mouse by Richard Foglesong and Realityland by David Koenig.

Both are excellent books with a lot of information related to the establishment of WDW in Orlando. Hard to imagine this new book could add much more but we'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter