Interesting blog about a diabetic kid's experience on a DCL cruise

I will probably get flamed for this, but this is how I read the blog.

First of, DCLs failures - Shoreside to club not on same page or letting club know ahead of time about the issue, no chocolates is weird, and probably the worst is no follow up to the guests.

Families failures - Should have discussed their sons challenges on the first day with the staff to verify that the shoreside plan was ok, and most importantly to verify the staff was aware of their sons issue to monitor him for any issues.

With my gluten issue, much less severe, I am always proactive with the staff to ensure my food is safe, I never assume it is setup ok from my reservation.

The biggest issue I have with the family, is that after DCL screwed up, they worked out an alternative. Now I get the young man was embarrassed by the misunderstanding on the second day, but I would have sent him back to teach him that while people do make mistakes, sometimes big ones we have the ability to forgive. Also I bet the CMs would have been extra nice as well. I bet he would have went home with a different opinion of the incident if he had gone back, and knowing DCL, he might have gotten to make the goo he was excited to make after all.

Sometimes we get so caught up in being wronged that we forget to forgive and move on in the moment to make the best of the situation, while still sending a strong letter after to prevent others from having this happen to them.

That's sad. I feel bad for the kid, but at the same time I feel bad for the crew stuck in that position. Think about it this way. What would have happened if that boy had gone into a low blood sugar event and the skittles didn't help for once? Or they did offer the apple juice, but it didn't help either? Or some kid was allergic to even the dust from the red dye in the skittles bag and had a reaction? Or he dropped the skittles, some kid got one, and choked on it? Because they were in the care of the Oceaneer's Club crew, they would have gotten blame for it, even if it was unwarranted. That's a lot of pressure to put on a couple of cast/crew members that barely make any money.

Does that mean they don't need better training? No, there need to be set in stone measures and protocol in place for T1, obviously. I'm a bit shocked they aren't better laid out. It's just kind of a sucky situation all around.

The chocolates thing is asinine though. Let the room guests figure out what to do with those chocolates. I'm sure he/she was just trying to be helpful, but that's not their place to decide that.

Good points. I think what makes me upset for the family (and as a diabetic--and I'm only going by what the blog stated) is that the CM told the boy that he could go back to his room if he was feeling "low". That is asinine!!! I remember one low that was so bad that by the time I identified that I was low, I couldn't even speak (I woke up and knew something wasn't right). I was able to wake my DH up but couldn't verbalize the problem. Luckily, he's noticed that I wasn't "right", tested by blood sugar, and gave me an emergency shot of glucose (as he was calling paramedics). I just think that this whole incident could've been better handled. I think that if a child is having an instance of low blood sugar, you certainly are NOT going to just let them take their snack in front of everyone and ho-hum, back to play. You are going to want to make sure that kid's sugar is coming up, and more than likely, contact the parent (if they are in the Oceaneer's club). Just breaks my heart--hopefully they will give DCL another shot, especially when he's older and won't have anything to do with the younger kids' club.

I remember one low that was so bad that by the time I identified that I was low, I couldn't even speak (I woke up and knew something wasn't right). I was able to wake my DH up but couldn't verbalize the problem. Luckily, he's noticed that I wasn't "right", tested by blood sugar, and gave me an emergency shot of glucose (as he was calling paramedics). I just think that this whole incident could've been better handled. I think that if a child is having an instance of low blood sugar, you certainly are NOT going to just let them take their snack in front of everyone and ho-hum, back to play. You are going to want to make sure that kid's sugar is coming up, and more than likely, contact the parent (if they are in the Oceaneer's club). Just breaks my heart--hopefully they will give DCL another shot, especially when he's older and won't have anything to do with the younger kids' club.

Well I think that's part of the training. A lot of people are not aware just how serious a low like that can be or how the symptoms present themselves. A lot of people think just that: that the diabetic just feels weird, so they eat their snack and they are fine. Not quite. I mean, it's definitely possible to eat the snack and be totally fine after that without help from anything else, and it does say he has a pump and a glucose monitor so that's helpful, but you still have to check levels and make sure everything is A-OK, because what if the snack bag of Skittles isn't enough? Which again, is a lot to put on those cast members who are not medical staff.

I am the parent to a very severe food allergic child.

My job as her parent is 1) to protect her as best I can from the things she is allergic to, 2) teach her how to be her own advocate (started at 3 years old!!) 3) EDUCATE others about her allergies and give them tools to accommodate her as best they can (I have never met someone who refused to accommodate her in some way...after I helped them understand...and provided them with the tools or items needed) and 4) to teach her that life isn't always fair and equal and the way she PERCEIVES something is entirely in her own control. She can cry and boohoo about how she "can't have the cupcake at school like all the other kids" or she can go get her own special treat out of the cupboard and celebrate her friend's birthday. She is 6 now, and while she has some "this sucks!" moments, she has learned to just move on and make adjustments.

After reading the blog I feel that DCL did what they knew...and that is to follow the "no food in the club rule". And its true...they could be liable for any child that did get a hold of that candy and got sick, choked or even died...so yeah, they did their job. I think that the mom should have better equipped her son with the tools and verbiage needed to educate the counselors about his situation and his needs as well as enabling him to be his own advocate and empower him to have the confidence to discuss his needs with an adult. Instead, the child ran from the situation...and DCL was blamed. I would have used that as a teaching opportunity and would not have allowed my child to be the victim in the situation.

Its a sad situation for all parties involved. I think the best lesson any parent can gather from this is that its our job as parents to advocate, educate and empower...and that clearly did not happen on this lady's cruise.

Good points. I think what makes me upset for the family (and as a diabetic--and I'm only going by what the blog stated) is that the CM told the boy that he could go back to his room if he was feeling "low". That is asinine!!! I remember one low that was so bad that by the time I identified that I was low, I couldn't even speak (I woke up and knew something wasn't right). I was able to wake my DH up but couldn't verbalize the problem. Luckily, he's noticed that I wasn't "right", tested by blood sugar, and gave me an emergency shot of glucose (as he was calling paramedics). I just think that this whole incident could've been better handled. I think that if a child is having an instance of low blood sugar, you certainly are NOT going to just let them take their snack in front of everyone and ho-hum, back to play. You are going to want to make sure that kid's sugar is coming up, and more than likely, contact the parent (if they are in the Oceaneer's club). Just breaks my heart--hopefully they will give DCL another shot, especially when he's older and won't have anything to do with the younger kids' club.

I get where you're coming from, but how is, what is basically a camp counselor, supposed to know all that about diabetes? You live with it every day so you know. They do not. And furthermore, they'd have to know that much about EVERY possible disease that could affect a kid. That's just not practical.

I get where you're coming from, but how is, what is basically a camp counselor, supposed to know all that about diabetes? You live with it every day so you know. They do not. And furthermore, they'd have to know that much about EVERY possible disease that could affect a kid. That's just not practical.
I sorta thought the same thing at first, but remembered back to first aid / AED certification training I had as a Girl Scout leader. And one of the things we specifically learned about was identifying and attending to a diabetic low (video reenactment and all). The CMs can't know how to treat everything, but a diabetic low falls into the category of "common", compared to many other things that require emergency response.

I guess I assumed the kids' club CMs were certified first aiders... is that not accurate? I'm really quite shocked if they have less first aid training than I needed as a Girl Scout volunteer.

The "camp counselor" obviously knew enough about diabetes that at some point during this interaction they finally said they could offer apple juice as an alternative. My point is you should never send a child who is having any sort of medical crisis back to their room unattended. It would be the same if a child was having a reaction to something she ate and was told she could go back to her room for her medication (obviously this is not the same, but the point is, the parent should be contacted and the medical/action plan that was provided followed while the parent is on their way to the club).

Just a random thought here, but I wonder if it would have been different if the Club and Lab were separated by their original ages.

I have no experience with the club/lab or their rules, so it's just a pondering, but perhaps it might have been different if the original age separation was there keeping littles who could still be in the "put everything in their mouths" stage as many 3-year-olds are were not in with the big kids.

IDK. It just occurred to me as a thought.

Offering apple juice as an alternative doesn't mean someone knows a lot about Type I. It could very well mean they connected a dot or two -- "they're talking blood sugar, they have Skittles. I have apple juice, which has sugars and is okay here."

I agree that it's a situation which shouldn't have happened, and DCL did drop the ball a bit.

First, at 12 yrs old, shoreside may well have been under the impression the boy was going to Edge -- where he would keep his diabetes kit with him (no rule against it). However, the Club/Lab have different rules because of the number and age of the kids in their care. My understanding is that diabetes kits are "checked" at the front desk; the kids aren't allowed to carry it within the Club/Lab. Mom may have misunderstood, shoreside may have misunderstood, but Mom definitely should have CONFIRMED at the Club/Lab that the plan she expected would work.

I'm shocked they don't have standard protocol in place for Type 1 kids.
I believe they do. Mom's blog doesn't mention that she discussed her son's medical condition withe Club/Lab CMs. My understanding of the "protocol" is that the diabetes kit is checked at the Club/Lab front desk. They do have apple juice available and will use that. CMs need to be made aware of the child in their care. Never expect that something written on a registration form will be read and understood by all adults; parents need to verbally confirm, and explain if necessary, when dropping the kid off. I understand the boy is 12 and probably working on advocating for himself, but mom should have made sure the Club/Lab CMs understood the needs.

Did she ask him why/how the counselor came up to him, once he had the lab coat on, to talk to him about the Skittles? What was he doing at the time?
This was my question as well. The boy was already inside the Club/Lab and participating in the activity. He had the lab coat on. Was he standing there at the moment treating a low and eating his Skittles? Otherwise how did the CM know he had Skittles? I can see how they would not want him eating Skittles while actively participating in the goo-making. You really can't have 1 kid in a room eat candy and explain to all the others that it's his medicine; I can understand them expecting him to step out of the activity to deal with it.

I think what makes me upset for the family (and as a diabetic--and I'm only going by what the blog stated) is that the CM told the boy that he could go back to his room if he was feeling "low"
We have to remember that most of these CMs may not be native to the English language and various phrases we find common. Did the boy indicate "I need it to treat low blood sugar" or did he say "I need it to treat my T1 diabetes." I'm guessing the word "diabetes" is recognized but maybe not "feeling low" or "treat a low." Not wrong on the boy's part, but a learning experience that he may need to explain what is a "low" and why it's imperative to be treated immediately. Not necessarily wrong on the CM's part if they only know the term "diabetes" as I suspect that is the terminology used in training. And no, do not expect that CMs are trained to treat a diabetic low; expect them to call for medical services.

I am assuming that person who cleans the room took it upon themselves to not leave the chocolate, which was wrong.
Agreed, well-intentioned but uneducated about diabetes. The stateroom host may have had a prior guest who said "no chocolates, I'm diabetic." Mom could have explained that chocolates were fine and I suspect the stateroom host would have brought a week's worth each remaining night to make up for his misunderstanding.

For a start, this is only one side of the story.

Please don't have a go at the kids club CMS, because from what I read they did everything they're trained to do. They followed all the rules set out by those shoreside.
Apple juice and glucose tabs are the only things offered (and the apple juice is disneys so they know where it's from) and is kept in the office and not the space.

Yes it's unfortunate how it unfolded. But it doesn't sound like she spoke to anyone in YA onboard before hand or how they should deal with anything if something did happen to him.

The rules are if they're a self check, they have to check out and test/treat themselves. If they're old enough to treat themselves but not a self check they can keep their test in the club at the front desk and sort themselves in the family bathroom. If they're not old enough a parent/adult needs to come and they can check out or use the family bathroom.
Apple juice can be given until an adult can come and check them out to give something else if needed.

No food, other than that provided by disney can be in the club for any reason. Due to allergies, potential choking hazards and mess.

I'm sorry. It might suck, but I bet for this one bad story there are quite a few where there were no issues. There's often at least one diabetic a cruise and this is the only bad story I've seen...

I'm also trying to figure out what she wanted as follow-up and/or "make it right!" Let her kid carry the Skittles? That wasn't going to happen. Personal, engraved invite to her kid to return? Free stuff? What?

The boy was already inside the Club/Lab and participating in the activity. He had the lab coat on. Was he standing there at the moment treating a low and eating his Skittles? Otherwise how did the CM know he had Skittles? I can see how they would not want him eating Skittles while actively participating in the goo-making. You really can't have 1 kid in a room eat candy and explain to all the others that it's his medicine; I can understand them expecting him to step out of the activity to deal with it.

I was wondering that, too. How did they even know he had Skittles? Also wondering if it went down the way her son said. I don't think they were all, "Get out, now!" He was admittedly embarrassed about the confrontation and maybe played out the situation differently in his head. I know teens and tweens can be that way. Two sides to every story.
And if there is any takeaway here it is that shore side and on board cms have two different protocols about everything. I have learned this by asking shore side for XYZ only to be told that that couldn't be done and when I get on board I am told, "Of course it can!" I gave up talking to shore side after the second cruise.

Who in the world is allergic to Skittles??? It's just sugar, for the most part. That's BS
It's a zero tolerance policy. No outside food (brought in by kids) is allowed in the Kids Clubs. But for kids who might need something for low sugar, it can usually be kept up front or in the manager's office. This was a case of a crew member not knowing the proper procedure.

Honestly, with a child that has severe food dye (hives and breathing issues) allergies, I could see why DCL didnt want the child just eating those in the lab just anywhere in case a child like mine was close and yes, she is still young enough if she found it she could pick it up (maybe not eat it as I believe she is past that age). But I also understand that DCL should really have better protocols for T1D also as there is no way that child would make it back to his cabin to get candy. Couldnt they have a room that stores things for children like epi pens, candy for T1D, etc? Wonder how DCL is going to handle epi pens now that they can administer that. They cant just call someone as those need to be close by (coming from personal experience with epi pens). This is why I am my child's best advocate and I take responsibility for what she eats and comes in contact with. It sucks when she's at school but educating her helps.

I really hope they give DCL another chance. Dont flame me but we are only getting the one emotional side of the story.

My 15yo daughter has type 1 diabeties and sometimes I forget how hard of a disease it is to live with. I over heard her speaking with her friends that she can't remember the last time she has felt good. She was diagnosed at age 11, and as she has become older, she has become more confident and a great advocate for diabetic children . Because our kids look normal on the outside, usually never complain, and become very independent at a young age, people don't realize that our children are fighting for their lives 24 hrs a day. My daughter has experienced similar situations that this young man has encountered, but as she has gotten older, she has learned how to deal with the situation and has become stronger and more confident person . Our kids should never feel embarrassed or ashamed of their diabeties, but looked up to for their strength to deal with this chronic illness. I feel Disney did not deal very well with this young boys situation, but hopefully with education and communication with young diabetics, they will change their practices and work with families. We are not asking for special treatment, but only for the ability to deal with situations independently. Our kids always have some sort of food item on them in case of low sugars and this should be basic knowledge that Disney should educate their staff about. If they have regulations on certain food items that are not allowed, alternatives should be suggested. This young man was not the first diabetic on board and he won't be the last( going on a DCL in August).

Who in the world is allergic to Skittles??? It's just sugar, for the most part. That's BS

Even products that are made in the same production plant that manufactures nut products could be subject to cross contamination. They even put it on the label. Not sure if Skittles has that, though.

Even products that are made in the same production plant that manufactures nut products could be subject to cross contamination. They even put it on the label. Not sure if Skittles has that, though.
Really, it's just a zero tolerance.

In a facility with kids ages 3-12, the safest protocol is "no outside food." Any medically necessary outside food or medicine should be secured by a designated staff member in an area that the kids cannot access.

There's a bunch about this particular blog post that is a little off. Why did staff know he was carrying candy at the point they're claiming they somehow thew him out? What did Mom want as the follow-up? When you ask for follow-up, you need to advocate for a specific response type, always, in customer service situations.

Our kids always have some sort of food item on them in case of low sugars and this should be basic knowledge that Disney should educate their staff about. If they have regulations on certain food items that are not allowed, alternatives should be suggested.

I think Disney does do this, they offered to treat the child with apple juice. If you want food items they keep them in a separate area, away from the children. I think the biggest problem is the mother didn't talk to the staff directly on the ship. She tried very hard to do everything before hand which I can see but in this case it just doesn't work. You need to speak with the people who are directly interacting with your child about it. To expect the CM to know about type one diabetes is unrealistic. I brought my son to the pediatrician once and the Nurse asked me if he still has type one diabetes. This was a Nurse! If people who work in the medical field do not know the ins and outs of type one diabetes you definitely can't expect an employee on a Disney cruise to know. I did have to laugh at her and I told her if there's a cure and no one told us I'm going to be mad! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter