• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Insurance?

purfectlyweird

Mouseketeer
My family and I were very excited to go on our first Disney cruise this past past summer. We were barely able to afford to go let alone purchase dcl insurance and I figured the weather would be perfect during the summer what could go wrong? Thankfully everything was perfect but now my friends and I are booked on the december 2015 cruise and I'm worried about hurricane season and not having insurance. We are all 24, no pre existing conditions, we don't even have any allergies b/w the four of us. We are lucky enough to live 5hrs away from FL so we don't have to worry about flights or rental cars. The only way we are able to go is b/c we booked 15 months in advance to have time to pay it off and we all just graduated so I can smell sally mae on my back :) Long story short insurance? yay? or nay? If yes then from where???

Personally, we buy the insurance because anything could happen. (medical emergency, family emergency, loss of job, home, the list goes on and on in my mind) :)
I would much rather spend approx $200 on insurance for my family of 3 than lose over $3000.
There were many times we didn't take the insurance, now for us it is a must!
Protecting our vacation investment!

My family and I were very excited to go on our first Disney cruise this past past summer. We were barely able to afford to go let alone purchase dcl insurance and I figured the weather would be perfect during the summer what could go wrong? Thankfully everything was perfect but now my friends and I are booked on the december 2015 cruise and I'm worried about hurricane season and not having insurance. We are all 24, no pre existing conditions, we don't even have any allergies b/w the four of us. We are lucky enough to live 5hrs away from FL so we don't have to worry about flights or rental cars. The only way we are able to go is b/c we booked 15 months in advance to have time to pay it off and we all just graduated so I can smell sally mae on my back :) Long story short insurance? yay? or nay? If yes then from where???

We buy insurance now because we have children and I can't imagine how horrible I would feel if something happened to them and I hadn't bought insurance. But our first six cruises which were in our 20s, childfree, and we we're driving to the departure port like you? We didn't buy. Now, I'm not necessarily saying that was the right thing to do, but looking back, I'd probably do it again like that.

Yes we're able to drive down and we have no kids but I'm worried about hurricane season, potential cost and convincing my friends to cough up more money for it lol

Well those are the famous last words, what could possibly go wrong, and by the old law, if you do not buy insurance you will find out, and if you buy it you may not need it.

Any family member I'll and expensive medical costs.
Airlifted off.
Delayed in any port.
Delayed back to home port.
Family bereavement.
Accident on ship, accident off ship.

Question? If you can't afford insurance, how will you afford one of those events or others?

Do not cruise without travel insurance.

I think for the expense of a cruise it's so worth it. Even though you're young and healthy you just never know what could happen. People (unfortunately) get hurt or have health issues that do come up. IMO it's a small expense for peace of mind.

And if you're booked for December you're out of hurricane season. Summer time is hurricane season in the Caribbean. It officially runs June 1 - Nov 30. We were just on a December cruise and the weather was pretty good. Certainly no bad storms.

good luck and have fun!!

When traveling without kids, we usually do not buy insurance. But as we started cruising with our kids, we have been purchasing it. Also, our parents are getting older and I am not always as worried about my families health, but that of aging parents that could change a trip quickly. You never know when something will happen.

Well those are the famous last words, what could possibly go wrong, and by the old law, if you do not buy insurance you will find out, and if you buy it you may not need it.

Any family member I'll and expensive medical costs.
Airlifted off.
Delayed in any port.
Delayed back to home port.
Family bereavement.
Accident on ship, accident off ship.

Question? If you can't afford insurance, how will you afford one of those events or others?

Do not cruise without travel insurance.

We had a trip booked to WDW 2 years ago when our friends dad died a couple of weeks before and we didn't cancel that trip....

We had a trip booked to WDW 2 years ago when our friends dad died a couple of weeks before and we didn't cancel that trip....

It's personal choice, but I would say never tempt fate, for a cruise Insurance is a small cost for peace of mind, you never know what can come up. It's one of those things, when you choose not to buy it, you cannot go back in time, when something unlucky occurs and as your in a new environment doing different things eating and drinking different, statisics will show it's more likely to happen.

Your choice . Have you discussed this with all of your family so their all in agreement in advance that you do not need it.

My bf and I are around your age. We've gone on 3 cruises and are about to go on our 4th without trip insurance. To us, it's a waste of money. We'd rather take the gamble of spending more if something actually happens then spending $200 each cruise for nothing to happen.

Also, I have bad experiences with trip insurance. Not through Disney or DCL, but still. I went on a tour to Europe and paid $120 extra for my insurance, and I did unfortunately get sick while in Paris and needed medical attention. Despite keeping ALL my records, the insurance REFUSED TO REIMBURSE ME. Apparently, I needed to get a statement from my regular insurance claiming that they would not cover the charges. I didn't have regular insurance to get a statement from in the first place, I was uninsured. Basically I was told I was SOL, I'd spent the $120 on insurance AND $200 on medical attention. Never again.

I don't know what's available in the US, but DH and I have travel insurance attached to one of our credit cards. We pay for it through our annual fee (it also covers motor breakdown). We've read the fine print and it's pretty all-encompassing. Is something like that an option? Or even available in the US?

I get not wanting to spend $300 on one-off insurance, but at the same time you just can't know what will happen on vacations - from needing a couple stitches to an air-evac - nor what will happen in your life leading up the vacation.

It's personal choice, but I would say never tempt fate, for a cruise Insurance is a small cost for peace of mind, you never know what can come up. It's one of those things, when you choose not to buy it, you cannot go back in time, when something unlucky occurs and as your in a new environment doing different things eating and drinking different, statisics will show it's more likely to happen.

Your choice . Have you discussed this with all of your family so their all in agreement in advance that you do not need it.

When we booked it we all agreed that we wouldnt purchase the insurance so it didn't go into our deposit budget. Our PIF date is 9 months away so we're only focusing on saving for excursions, souviners, etc.

When we booked it we all agreed that we wouldnt purchase the insurance so it didn't go into our deposit budget. Our PIF date is 9 months away so we're only focusing on saving for excursions, souviners, etc.

OK, so you have all made your choice.

To me my priorities are:-

(1) Family safety and security.
(2) Good health.
Then later souvenirs,

You most likely statistically get away with it, but insurance is for when fate strikes.

I don't know what's available in the US, but DH and I have travel insurance attached to one of our credit cards. We pay for it through our annual fee (it also covers motor breakdown). We've read the fine print and it's pretty all-encompassing. Is something like that an option? Or even available in the US?

I get not wanting to spend $300 on one-off insurance, but at the same time you just can't know what will happen on vacations - from needing a couple stitches to an air-evac - nor what will happen in your life leading up the vacation.

That sounds awesome but we don't have any credit cards. Options are slim for newly graduated low income students ;)

I just googled cruise insurance and this site insure my trip keeps popping up. The quoted prices don't look cringe worthy. Has anyone here tried it? If so what plan?

Google cruise insurance and find one of the places where you can get quotes from several companies and see what kind of prices you can get. There will likely be one there that covers the basics and is affordable.

As others have said, insurance is not just for weather-related issues. What if your car breaks down on the 5 hour drive in, or there is a huge pile-up on the Beachline and you are delayed? What if one of you comes down with a high fever the morning of or is vomiting and isn't allowed on the ship? What if, God forbid, a family member passes, or someone needs surgery? What if someone gets a great new job and can't get vacation time?

Yes, chances are you'll be fine without. But I wouldn't want to take that chance.

Go to ***************** . . . You should find a policy that covers cancellation, medical expenses, medical evacuation, and more for $50 or less per person (that assumes your fare is $1,500 pp). That's what? A drink a day?

You know how much DCL will cost you, so you can make a decision easily.

Just imagine being sent of the ship to a hospital in the Bahamas for appendicitis. :scared1:

Thanks everyone for the sound advice and for bearing with me lol. I did find some quotes for under 100pp that look like what we need. Now I'm off to tell the friends even more dcl info. Pray for me y'all :worship:

I just googled cruise insurance and this site insure my trip keeps popping up. The quoted prices don't look cringe worthy. Has anyone here tried it? If so what plan?

Guess we posted at the same time. You found the site I tried to post. They are good, even though this site edited them out of my post.

We look at the least expensive plans and compare benefits. I want the highest coverage for medical and medical evacuation at the lowest price. Just make sure it also covers trip cancellation.

We have filed claims a few times with at least two different low cost policies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter