• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

INSULIN PUMP - what to do on water rides

mackay_j

DIS Veteran
My dd1 is on an insulin pump (medtronic)- we have never done diseny water rides since she started using the pump (usually visit disney over xmas and always seem to time it with the freezing cold snaps-:rotfl:).

In universal there are lockers to put the pump in so it dosen't get wet.

We would like to all ride together if possible What do others do when using a non waterproof pump on the disney water rides.

DH is also on a Medtronic pump. He doesn't disconnect for the park water rides (but does for the water parks and leaves it in a locker). He has it in a (non-waterproof) case and has never had an issue on the water rides.
I can't remember if he put a jacket or poncho on for Kali, but I just asked him and he said he never had issues with it.
I think he might have removed it for Mission Space (centrifugal forces) but that's it.
He's gone 6 times since being on the pump.

Do you mean water park rides, or rides where you get water splashed on you (like Splash Mountain)?

When I used a Medtronic pump, I didn't do anything for the Splash Mountain-type rides, and it was fine. I just kept it under several layers of clothing.

For rides where I knew it would be immersed, I used something like this:
http://store.aquapac.net/

I'm wondering too what the OP means. - water park rides or water rides like Kali river?

Generally at Disney I make him wear a spibelt (normal he tosses it in his shorts pocket) but I've found that it doesn't fall out getting on and off rides this way. Anyway, I tuck a plastic sandwich bag in our backpack and when we're going to ride something wet I just wrap the pump up in the baggie and then zip it back up in is pump pack.

Even if you don't use a pump pack, just carry a baggie or two with you. It will be enough to keep the water off.

Even MM pumps are water resistant. So getting splashed in a water ride isn't going to be a problem under normal situations. (the only caveat to that is that you could have an unseen crack which will render the pump no longer resistant.

Do you mean water park rides, or rides where you get water splashed on you (like Splash Mountain)?

When I used a Medtronic pump, I didn't do anything for the Splash Mountain-type rides, and it was fine. I just kept it under several layers of clothing.

For rides where I knew it would be immersed, I used something like this:
http://store.aquapac.net/

we carry something like this around the water parks with a meter and tabs. (still, I wrap the meter in baggies. lol) pump goes in the locker, staying cool. (or we come off the pump for the day and do shots.)

It was for the actual rides in the parks that I meant, we know how wet we got on the popye ride at US we were soaked all the way through, just the same as if we had fallen in a pool (her pump was safely in a locker).

At the water parks she will come off the pump for a few hrs then hook back up to top up insulin. - She can't use the injections as she has major problems with long acting insulin. She looses her sight after only a few days on it - Some very rare reaction (she caused a recall of a whole batch of humalog whenit first happened-oops) But after further testing with a few other long actings they all had to update the inserts for this rare reaction- Thank god the pump came along when it did as we were having to do pen injections every few hrs- As a result she was one of the first in Scotland to get it fully funded- a few more are now getting on them but its still a bit of a fight to get one.

The pump she has is about 7ish yrs old now its the Paradigm (i think from memory, i will check with her) - When we got it she was told to never get it wet, not to even take it into a shower/bathroom because of steam. May be we use diff ones over here or maybe its because its a very old model that we have been told its not to get wet at all, OR maybe/ hopefuly the manufactures have more recently discovered that its not as big an issue as they once thought.

Does anyone that responded use a 7-8yr old paradigm on these rides without issue.

It was for the actual rides in the parks that I meant, we know how wet we got on the popye ride at US we were soaked all the way through, just the same as if we had fallen in a pool (her pump was safely in a locker).

At the water parks she will come off the pump for a few hrs then hook back up to top up insulin. - She can't use the injections as she has major problems with long acting insulin. She looses her sight after only a few days on it - Some very rare reaction (she caused a recall of a whole batch of humalog whenit first happened-oops) But after further testing with a few other long actings they all had to update the inserts for this rare reaction- Thank god the pump came along when it did as we were having to do pen injections every few hrs- As a result she was one of the first in Scotland to get it fully funded- a few more are now getting on them but its still a bit of a fight to get one.

The pump she has is about 7ish yrs old now its the Paradigm (i think from memory, i will check with her) - When we got it she was told to never get it wet, not to even take it into a shower/bathroom because of steam. May be we use diff ones over here or maybe its because its a very old model that we have been told its not to get wet at all, OR maybe/ hopefuly the manufactures have more recently discovered that its not as big an issue as they once thought.

Does anyone that responded use a 7-8yr old paradigm on these rides without issue.
It's still fine. The new revels are the same body as the old ones. Let me find the product info that says what they're water rated for. I can't find it but I did find where it said the older 515/715 models can withstand accidental contact with water, but to avoid submerging it. Thats' what the newer ones say as well. So as long as you put it in a baggie and tie it up, you'll be fine.

The aquapac cases might work but there is also a warning that they could restrict insulin flow down the tubing. Here is a link to a British site that sells them: http://store.aquapac.net/insulin-pump-case-158a-29.html

I'd think a pump put completely inside of a ziploc bag and then inside of another bag (like a fanny pack or small purse) would be kept safe from water rides that get you soaked through.

We have an Animas pump - which is fine for water - but our Dexcom (continuous glucose monitor) has to stay totally away from water so that is what I plan to do with it this summer on rides at Universal and Disney.

I am completely fascinated with the issue you mention about the long acting insulin causing temporary blindness. I've never heard of that but I've heard of other unusual reactions to insulin - just really interesting. That must have been very challenging to not be able to use long acting if you couldn't go to pumping immediately.

You should check out the Children With Diabetes website and forums. They have an annual gathering in Orlando every July and sometimes one in the UK. You might want to post your question on their forum also - I know I didn't quite understand your caution with the pump (typically MM would replace if it got splashed and it stopped working). If you fear not being able to get it replaced I can imagine!

On Splash Mountain, my daughter just wore her pump (MM REVEL) on her waist under her t-shirt, like normal. She does not wear her pump in a pouch and it was fine.

For Kali, I would probably suggest wearing a poncho or putting the pump in a Frio pouch during the ride - you can get pretty drenched on that ride! And being disconnected for a short time probably won't hurt.

The aquapac cases might work but there is also a warning that they could restrict insulin flow down the tubing. Here is a link to a British site that sells them: http://store.aquapac.net/insulin-pump-case-158a-29.html

That's one of the reasons I love my Omnipod. The pod part is submersible without disconnecting, and the PDM/remote control can go in a Ziploc bag without worrying about occluding the tubing.

Love my omnipod also! I've found a BIG difference between water rides at WDW and those at Universal....Universal water rides get you as wet as you can possible get. WDW is much more variable and not nearly as soaking wet.

If you fear not being able to get it replaced I can imagine![/QUOTE]

Its not only the pump price- If we have to buy the pump, then we would also have to provide the sets and res at our own cost!!! So a beoken pump is out of the question - we have no other way round not using one - so would have to go through the award system agaiiiiiiin! (but this time she would be an adult and thus it would even harder to get one funded, although due to other medical problem and the long insulin problem she would eventually get it. However, that may take up to a year and in the mean time we would have to pay out of pocket, as there is no way we would go back to our -and esp her- life without one)

Thanks to all who replied, I am going to look into the waterproof container, but I am more relaxed about using a few zip locks for the water rides.

Another thought - we use an Animas pump and they will give you a "vacation" pump in case you damage your pump or if it gets lost. It is a free program. You don't use it unless you have to - it is not to use instead of your own like I said unless you have an issue with yours.

I just stumbled on this thread...

My 19 year old was diagnosed with type 1 in Sept and I bought him a spibelt to hold his pump in case he didn't have pockets on his shorts. I think this is the one I bought : http://store.spibelt.com/category-s/76.htm

It says it is water proof, so this might be an option. I use one (non water proof) to hold my cell phone when I go out jogging and love it. It is designed to ride low on the hips and I forget it is there.

Edited to add: I just checked my order history and I got him the water resistant model, which I don't think they sell anymore. I might look into getting him one of these also.

Pixie dust or what- My daughter has just come home after her diabetic clinic to tell em that she is to collect a new pump (same type but takes more insulin in the res) and that she is also to keep her old one as a spare:cheer2:

I can relax a bit now, except for the :laundy: and packing- not long now!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter