Insulin Pump at WDW = Wonderful Trip

bettybeth

Mouseketeer
Hi all :wave: Just back from a 5 night stay at the Beach Club. It was a wonderful trip - low crowds, beautiful weather, not as many lovebugs as expected and - GOOD BLOOD GLUCOSE numbers :banana:

My DS is 8 and has been 2 other times. This was our first trip with the pump. What a difference. I'm actually the one that started the carbohydrate counting thread because I was so worried about the food. We were on the free Dining Plan and the desserts just kept coming. WDW seems to have better choices for the kiddo's now. Several places had goldfish, applesauce, grapes and carrots as the side item instead of fries. The applesauce is even unsweetened (12 g ;) ) and the desserts at the counter services were sugar free jello!!! It was a beautiful thing. I guess over the last 2 1/2 years we've gotten so good at eyeballing that I never even asked for carb counts from the CM's. BUT we were pretty diligent about testing every 1 1/2 hours during the day (extreme I know) and every 3 hours at night!

Another source of worry was MNSSHP and all the candy. I gave DS a dual wave of 50/50 for one hour and 90 carbs (YIKES!!) and let him graze slowly on about 15 pieces of candy . It worked like a charm.

On the airplane I did give him temporary increased basal rates because of the inactivity. And we had no trouble with airline security. We packed insulin and several set changes as well as needles. We just told them as we were putting the backpack through and they never looked through it. He did set the beepers off with his pump and he showed it to them and they let him through.

We also never took it off for roller coasters. We forgot about this until 2 or 3 days into it and since nothing seemed wrong with the pump we never worried about it again.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter