Insulin Pen question

EmpressBubbles

Proud Duck Smuggler
My DH and I visit WDW every year, but this year is my first year on insulin. I am fortunate enough to be able to use insulin pens. Will someone with pen experience please let me know about temperature regulation during park days? I understand they don't need to be refrigerated, but I'm worried about how warm they will get in my fanny pack at the parks. Do any of you have issues with overheating of insulin? If so, how do you deal with it?

MUCH THANKS!!!

Michelle

My DH and I visit WDW every year, but this year is my first year on insulin. I am fortunate enough to be able to use insulin pens. Will someone with pen experience please let me know about temperature regulation during park days? I understand they don't need to be refrigerated, but I'm worried about how warm they will get in my fanny pack at the parks. Do any of you have issues with overheating of insulin? If so, how do you deal with it?

MUCH THANKS!!!

Michelle

Frio Pack. they make ones that are pen sized. :) http://coolerconcept.com/
Barring that, I find that if you simply wrap your vial (or pen cartridge) in a cold, wet paper towel and put it in a baggie you should be fine as long as it's not in the direct sun. Or a cooler bag with some ice. But Frio is the easiest way by far. :)

Frio Pack. they make ones that are pen sized. :) http://coolerconcept.com/
Barring that, I find that if you simply wrap your vial (or pen cartridge) in a cold, wet paper towel and put it in a baggie you should be fine as long as it's not in the direct sun. Or a cooler bag with some ice. But Frio is the easiest way by far. :)

If I understand correctly, Frio needs air (evaporation) to cool. My fanny pack isn't vented well. Have you stashed a Frio in an unvented bag and done well?

Yes, I am using Humalog. Thanks for the information!

I just went online and purchased a Frio pen wallet. I'm so happy that I asked!

I REALLY want to thank you guys for answering so promptly!::yes::

Michelle

Yes, I am using Humalog. Thanks for the information!

I just went online and purchased a Frio pen wallet. I'm so happy that I asked!

I REALLY want to thank you guys for answering so promptly!::yes::

Michelle

No problem. And yes, it will be fine in your bag. It really means that you can't wrap something around the pack. The're so easy to use. Remember, it won't keep it COLD but it will keep it at room temp. :) So we don't use frio for unopened vials that I"m trying to keep fridge cold, but I do use it for in use vials.

You will love the Frio! We used it for our trip 2 weeks ago, and it kept my daughters Humalog right at room temp. I kept it in my bag, and it did just fine. Just be sure you close the Frio (it has a velcro closure)- I forgot one day and the pen did feel warmer than usual. Thankfully it was after lunch, and we had several extra pens back in our villa! FYI- almost every restroom in WDW has a sharps disposal for your needles.

You will love the Frio! We used it for our trip 2 weeks ago, and it kept my daughters Humalog right at room temp. I kept it in my bag, and it did just fine. Just be sure you close the Frio (it has a velcro closure)- I forgot one day and the pen did feel warmer than usual. Thankfully it was after lunch, and we had several extra pens back in our villa! FYI- almost every restroom in WDW has a sharps disposal for your needles.

I received my Frio today in the mail. I'm so excited to try this out!

Thanks for the advice about the sharps. I wouldn't have even thought about that until I needed it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter