(Inspired by Pumba) What unusual things...

piratesmate

<font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t
...do you do to your cakes? On another thread Pumba mentioned using maraschino cherry juice in her icing, which is excellent!

My mother used to put grape jelly between the layers of a chocolate cake & then ice with white icing. This was sooooo good! But people usually screw up their face & say Ewwww! when they hear about it.

So, is there anything unusual that you do to or put in your cakes?

I don't do anything unusual to my cakes, but that cherry idea is a great one, I am definitely going to try it!!

Thanks, Piratesmate!

my mom always made this for me as a little girl it was my favorite we all had different favorites got to have ours for our birthdays.

Take an angel food cake.

Make so you have 4 layers

Mix - Apricot preserves with a bit of whip cream on one layer, crushed pineapple with whip cream for another, then strawberry preserves for the last - cover the whole thing with whipped cream.

Mom of course always made fress whip cream. Oh Yummy!

I'll have to scrap book this memory some day when I do my about me book. But, of course that album is far down the list.

Laura
A Scrapaholic

Oh Laura, that sounds outstanding! I could even do this "low sugar" with the all fruit jams & pineapple in its own juice. Of course it wouldn't be "low fat"!! :rolleyes:

I may have to pick up some of that fake-almost-no-dairy Cool Whip tonight & make this for DS & DDL's homecoming tomorrow! (They're in Mexico on their honeymoon.) :teeth:

I always put a pack of instant pudding (in the same flavor as the cake) when I use boxed cake mixes. It makes the batter thicker and the cake much moister.

I have also used jams and preserves (apricot and raspberry are favorites) as filling between layers.

Happy Fourth!

my kids love my spice cake......but instead of putting frosting on it....I give cool whip spoons......top it and the kids love it......almost like having ginger bread with whipped cream......the spices in the cake with the cool whip is good

Actually - If you used fat-free cool whip, Laura's cake would be spectacularly low-fat. Angel food cake is naturally fat-free.

Thanks for that recipe, Laura - I am definitely going to make it!!

Ok, it's not cake but my Grandma puts a couple teaspoons of Kahlua in her pumpkin pie! It's wonderful! It makes it richer and very moist.

My Grandmother would make fruit cake with gumdrops instead of the candied fruit. No one in our family likes candied fruit.

My grandmother (mother to 10 kids) started putting wrapped prizes in cakes for birthdays.
The birthday kid always got a quarter wrapped in alum foil and the other kids would get a dime or a nickel.

She started this during WWII when my grandfather was away to cheer up her kids.

When I was little, I used to think she baked it in the cake and when I had kids of my own, I learned that she put the wrapped prize under the cake when serving. ( I always wondered how she knew where the quarter was for the birthday kid!!lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter