Inspired by Poohnatic: Mangled Words/Phrases

FOJMO

<font color=red>If English is the official languag
In another thread, Poohnatic referred to a mangled phrase that someone once used -- instead of Mason-Dixon Line, they said Manson-Nixon Line! Too funny!

Do you know of a word/phrase that you've heard someone use that was "mangled"? I used to work with someone who said --

For all intensive purposes -- instead of -- For all intents and purposes

And my ex-SIL used to say Aunt Jamaica instead of Aunt Jemima (and she didn't know she was even doing it, even if you gently corrected her!).

Some other words that I've heard --

supposably instead of supposedly
chimley instead of chimney

How about you? Do you have any you've heard?

Wow, I inspired a post...sniff sniff. I feel so, so, Honored! :)

Gosh, this is going to be a long thread, I can feel it!

The locals like to mangle a few thing that drive me nuts...

Drawling for drawing
Suit when Suite is correct, the furniture is a "Living Room Suit"

I could go on for a while about the mangling of the language, but I know I'm gonna hear plenty about my metro NY brethren, so I shall not go too far, LOL!

My two sons had different ways of mangling Buzz Lightyears signature phrase...

Older DS was "To Infinity, Help Me On!"
Younger DS was "Tinity, and eyond"

Suzanne

A former coworker of mine always said "Pacific" instead of "specific".

One that bugs me is a local thing. We have a town nearby called "Saugus". I have heard so many people(including DH) who call it "Saugust". There is no T in Saugus!!!! Drives me insane!

It makes me nuts when people say "Irregardless." It amazes me how many seemingly intelligent people I hear use this one!

It is very annoying when someone close to you misuses a phrase so often that you begin to do it too even though you know the correct terms.

I was having some car trouble and my ex would say "Cadillac converter" instead of "catalytic converter." I knew it was incorrect, and would correct him, but then one day some one asked me a question and I found myself saying "Cadillac converter" GRRR!!! ;)

I have a few!

Libary instead of library
Sherbert instead of sherbet (people must take the r from library and put it in sherbet!)
Wrasling for wrestling
Crick for creek

And my all time pet peeve for mangled words: aks (axe) for ask!!!

Originally posted by jwsqrdplus2

Sherbert instead of sherbet (people must take the r from library and put it in sherbet!)
ROFL! Good theory. :D

My niece won a contest on the radio with a joke...What does Ernie say when Bert asks if he wants icecream? Sherbert (Sure Bert). ;)

Although I think it's technically acceptable, I dislike when people say "ofTen", pronouncing the "T". A music teacher of mine told me once that you shouldn't pronounce the "T", but she may have been referring to when you're singing the word. I still don't pronounce the "T" because of it, though.

Also, I dislike when I hear people say "once" with a "T" at the end or "across" with a "T" at the end or "media" instead of median.

I've actually seen two people post self of steam, instead of self esteem, on two different message boards. :)

OMG! I don't even know that I would have known what they meant! That is TOO funny!

Originally posted by FOJMO
OMG! I don't even know that I would have known what they meant! That is TOO funny!

You would have when you read the whole sentence. I think one of them read "I have low self of steam." :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter