• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Inspired by Newholiday - how do you split up household chores

WDWLVR

<font color=green>DVC @ The Boardwalk</font><br><f
What chores do you do? What chores does your SO do? And which do you share?

Also if one of you is sick or hurt how would that change?

For us DH takes care of all the outside work (lawn, garden, etc.), car care (oil changes, tire rotation, etc.) and any maintenance needed .

I do all the cooking, laundry, and bill paying.

We both help with things like cleaning the house – usually splitting up the rooms depending on what needs to be done. We also do the grocery shopping together. Not because we need to but because we want to. It is just a pattern we’ve gotten into from when we first got married.

When I’ve been sick he’s been more than happy to help and I would do the same if he was sick (ok well I couldn’t do any of the car stuff but I’ve helped with the yard work before.

So how about you – how you do break up the chores in your household?

When the X and I were together, there was no set "mine and yours" chores.

I use to mow and do the snow-throwing but that was because he bought me a beautiful John Deere 575X 4x4 tractor :)

Inside the house- I would generally do the "deep" cleaning like dusting, moping etc. But if he saw laundry in front of the washer, he'd throw a load in, if the dishes needed to be done, he'd do them etc. We both worked outside of the house, but 8 months of the year i did most work from home. It was not uncommon for him to work 80 hours a week year round.

When he was sick, or I was sick- the other would just pick up the slack.

We also have 2 DD's who do their share of chores.

I dont get the whole "yours and mine" crap, especially if both work outside of the home.

Brandy

I guess the "set" things are that he does all the lawn stuff and I do all the cooking.

99% of the time, I do all the grocery shopping. I do 90% of laundry, and most of the cleaning around the house. I take my car in the shop for maintenance and inspections. He takes his own. I pay all the bills, I schedule kids doctor's appointments.

I take the kids to school in the morning. He picks up.

He cleans up the dogs' messes.

We both work outside the home. Honestly, I *feel* like a I do more. But he would argue that point with you! :)

SO and I are really bad at the chore thing. I had a maid and nanny growing up so I never did housework as a child/teen, and my SO had her stepmom to do all the work. So living together, we try to do laundry and keep the place together, but we really suck at it, so we have household help.

So I guess our only chores are laundry, changing the toilet paper roll, dumping the trash and picking up after the dogs, oh and putting the food away because the food delivery person just brings it to the kitchen.

Ugh, Chores, I hate them!

I mow the grass (when it does get done), laundry, vacuuming, washing floors, grocery shop, bathrooms, pay the bills, take DS to doctor/dentist, take DS to bus stop in morn.
We both take turns cooking dinner, we both take our own cars to station to get repaired. We both have fulltime jobs outside the home. We both shovel the snow.
He cleans the pans.

I use a push mower and we both use shovels - no rideon or snow blower

Split up chores? We didn't. I did everything, he paid the bills and fixed the car if he had time.

mudnuri said:
I dont get the whole "yours and mine" crap, especially if both work outside of the home.

Brandy

Well in our case the "yours and mine" are what we do best. We truly are partners so if one needs any real help with anything the other will pitch in. It was one of the things we discussed before getting married.

edited to add we both work full time as well.

We've never sat down and split things. We usually do it together or take turns. I don't mind mowing the lawn and have though he enjoys it. I trim the hedges and blow the yard while he mows. We cook together, do dishes together (he'll fill the dishwasher, I'll clean the counters and handwash the pots, he'll dry), clean house together (he'll gather trash while I polish furniture, etc) and we take turns on the bathroom since we both can't fit in there and we both hate it. We both do laundry whenever it needs it. We take care of our own cars (I do all maintenance on mine and he does it on his). I usually grocery shop on my morning off but he helps compile the menu and list.

My DH is more concerned about our house being clean than I am ;) he usually is the one to get me to get up and help!

When I was sick almost 2 years ago, he just picked up the slack and did it. That's what people who love each other do. When I have a major assignment coming up, he does my share and his for awhile. I return the favor. Just give and take.

I'm a SAHM so do everything around the house, all of the bill paying, investing, childcare,family interactions, etc.

I have someone who takes care of the yard, and bring his shirts (he will only wear oxford cloth) to be washed,starched, and pressed professionally.

When I was sick (on bedrest during pregnancy) I had a cleaning service come in. My parents were still healthy enough to help with laundry, transporting DD, cooking, dishes, etc.

I DO remember the cooking pot incident. DM cooked dinner, and left a pot to soak,thinking DH would clean it later. DH doesn't do dishes, so the pot was still there the next day. DM refused to clean it for DH, and resented the fact that he left it for her. DH refused to clean it the next night. When I spotted it still sitting in the sink the next day (I was allowed OOB to get food/drink from the fridge) I scrubbed it! :rotfl:

edited to add: I take care of the cars, including purchasing them, registering them, arranging insurance, maintenance, etc.

WDWLVR said:
Well in our case the "yours and mine" are what we do best. We truly are partners so if one needs any real help with anything the other will pitch in. It was one of the things we discussed before getting married.

edited to add we both work full time as well.

Thats exactly what I meant- if you notice something that he normally does needs to be done you do it...I dont get the "im not doing the dishes because thats your chore" type thinking...

Brandy

monkeyboy said:
I do it all

unless I am cruising

:rotfl:

He mows the lawn (on a riding mower). I do everything else...cooking, cleaning, shopping, pay bills, laundry, errands, running kids around (well, before they started driving).

I also work every day.

When I'm sick, they will order out for dinner. Everything else waits until I'm feeling better.

The only things that are set...I do dishes in exchange for DH doing kitty litter (weird arrangement we made up when he decided to get us a cat 10 years ago :) as I had the chore all my life for cats I didn't own (step-family member and her bazillion stinking cats)).

Everything else is up for sharing or not--depending on the phase of the moon ;)

I do outside & money. DW does inside. We occasionally help each other.

I do everything right now, since DH is deployed. When he's home, he does the trash, empties the dishwasher, and does baby bath time.

Since I do not work outside the house I do everything that needs to be done inside. By that I mean I cook, clean, do clothes, even do the painting which I love. DH works outside the house so the only thing he does around the house is larger maintenance stuff like repairs and keeping up the pool and stuff. Our 17 y/o son does the yard work. When DS moves out eventually then DH and I will both do yard work. I like using the lawn tractor anyway. If DH were sick then I couldn't imagine making him do anything.

I do all of the cooking, laundry, everyday cleaning, kids baths etc.... DH does the yard work and maintenance type things. He does help when we do major cleaning.

We both work fulltime, when I'm not on maternity leave that is :rolleyes2

dcgrumpy said:
We both work fulltime, when I'm not on maternity leave that is :rolleyes2

when are you NOT on maternity leave? :banana: :banana:

He does the car maintaince, yard work and trash. I do the bill paying, laundry(he usually totes it up and down the stairs and puts it away), most of the cleaning. We both cook. He get the kids ready in the mornings and usually picks them up too (I work longer hours). We both do the dishes.

gepetto said:
when are you NOT on maternity leave? :banana: :banana:

Let's see, in the last 5 years I've actually worked 1 year and 9 months. I returned from my last one pregnant already :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter