Inspired by CB thread: What is your favorite commercial aircraft?

Obi-Wan Pinobi

<font color=red>Jedi moderator who likes to live o
I read here on the Community Board that many airlines are phasing out the Boeing 727s in favor of newer aircraft. It may be a 40 year old plane, but it's always been one of my favorites. The third engine and the wings at the top of the tail made it stand out from the rest of Boeing's aircraft.

Does anyone else have a favorite aircraft they like to fly on for whatever reason? Besides the 727, the Boeing 767 is a favorite of mine for the simple reason that, with the 2-3-2 seating in coach, it's hard to get stuck in a middle seat.

I fly a lot for work and haven't flown on a 727 in years. Most of the airlines are heavily into the 737, but now for shorter routes they using the regional jets (2-2). Pilots I've talked to say they are faster than 737s. My favorite's are the Airbus 320s.

I've never given it a lot of thought but I know my DH would hands down say a DC10........we flew that once and sat in the middle row and DH was very happy 'cause it didn't seem like he was on a jet. He's scared to death to fly!!!:rolleyes: :D

I like DC 10s, they really make me feel the flying adventure.
But I also like 727s because you can always sneak a peek out the window no matter where you sit.

I have to say I really like the MD80 (McDonald Douglas). It's roomy and very comfortable. It is very long, so if you sit in the back you really feel some motion.

My favorite was the L1011. It was like flying in your living room. Now my favorite is the 757.

My favorite for a long time was the L-1011, it has a classic elegance about the design and was the most advanced airliner in her day. She could takeoff, fly and land herself completely automatically. I also really like the MD80, the seats in coach are slightly wider than the 727,737,757 family of aircraft and it just seemed nicer with it's 2-3 seating. On the flipside of that however, the F/C seats in the MD80 are not as wide as those you find in just about any other aircraft. I also really enjoyed the 727. I always seemed to have decent flights on those. I really enjoy flying in most aircraft, however I will say that I never really cared for the early family of the 737s the 200 through 500 series, and I was never felt very secure in the DC-10s.

Another great thread!

I've always loved the 747... I've always wanted to fly on the upper deck... The closest I've ever come, when I was 10, we got bumped up to first class on the lower deck... but I can barely remember that at all.

As for my least favorite... I've always had a strong dislike for any aircraft that has twin turbines mounted in the back of the plane, instead of on the wing... I got stuck in one of the last row seats on one of those before... I have never had a worse flight...

Ditto the L-1011. Too bad there's no L-1012 or L-2011 (what did those numbers stand for anyway?)

Originally posted by llupin
Ditto the L-1011. Too bad there's no L-1012 or L-2011 (what did those numbers stand for anyway?)

The L1011 was just the model number as designated by Lockheed. There were actually a number of different L1011 series including L1011-1, L1011-250 and L1011-500. Lockheed had a tendency to name it's planes and the L1011 was known as the Tri-Star, prior to the Tri-Star they had the Electra and the Constellation. The L1011-500 was actually a shortened version of the L1011 with larger wings and was capable of flying very long distances.

There were a number of L1011 varients on the drawing board at the time Lockheed pulled the plug on the airliner. Lockheed got out of the commercial airline business at that time. The L1011 didn't have the sales success that the DC-10 had and also was more technologically advanced for it's time and had a higher pricetag, but in most aviation experts eyes was the superior tri-jet. Lockheed only sold 250 L1011s compared to over 400 for the DC-10.. The DC-10, in my opinion, was also rushed to production and beat the L1011 in deliveries, but this rush caused some serious design flaws that were eventually corrected but not after some incidents. Again, this is my opinion. The L1011 is one of the safest airliners ever made, especially for it's day.

Too much information, right? :) I have quite a few books on the L1011, It was my favorite jet in her day.

I've never flown on a wide body (2 aisle). I always fly USAir and my favorites are the 757 or one of the airbusses. I try to avoid the 737.

I love 777s (as long as I am not in the middle). Those things are like a flying house! My hubby was absolutely fascinated with the entertainment system, which allowed you to watch the route you are traveling via a little animated airplane. When we were circling before our landing, he got such a blast out of watching the little cartoon plane spiral. He was worse than a kid!
My second favorite are the 757-300's because they have great exit rows (if you can get one!), with a huge amount of legroom. We fly them all the time on ATA, although I'll admit I generally feel like flapping my arms to make sure that huge thing gets off the ground from those tiny Midway runways.
The MD-80 would round out my top 3 (I like the two-across rows on one side), except that I have been leery of them ever since the highly-publicized crash. But we just flew Super-80s to Orlando a couple of weeks ago and all was well.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

My favs:

737-900 series
I've never flown on a "triple seven", but I bet I'd really love it!

For me its '777' at the moment. The 2-5-2 configuration means I get can an aisle seat, the wife can have the window and no strangers to rub elbows with. Great legroom on the American 777's as well.

The "old" 747s. The upper deck used to be a lounge for the 1st class passengers. There were couches with tables instead of regular seating.

Hands down, without a doubt Boeing 777's. The first time I flew on one was from DC to Germany in 1998. The ride was smooth, and very comfortable. I value a good plane ride!! I told DH about the trans-atlantic ride, and he too wanted to try out the 777's. Well about a year later when we started planning to go the WDW, in our pursuit to finding a flight to MCO our connecting flight in Atlanta was on a 777. Long story short, DH favorite model air craft now is the 777's. Like someone stated earlier, they are like flying houses. Now, when we book our flights through Delta to MCO we make sure at least one leg is on a 777. Call us crazy!!! :rolleyes:

Triple 7's ( Boeing 777) are the best! Followed by 747's.

Can't stand the 727's. Could possibly go deaf on them! They are being phased out do the the noise factor anyway. 737's too cramped.
767 and 757 are ok.
Airbus 320 and 319 are ok- like the wider aisle, however they make weird popping noises around the doors that are a little discerning.

DC10's- NO WAY!!! Always have had mechanical problems on them!

I like the Airbus A319/320/321 jets. They are very very comfortable. The B767's are also nice, as well as the B757. The B737's are okay, except for the fact that the seats are really packed in there. I'd like to try a B777 or an A330, they look like such nice aircraft. :) And, I LOVE B757 First Class. Ahh, such pleasant flights!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter