Inside view of the movie business

Keyser

DIS Veteran
I came across the following article that gave an insider's view of the current state of Hollywood's business. A lot of the comments resonated with what AV and others have said about Disney, so I thought some here might find it interesting. The following is an example quote from the end of the story:

"They used to call the studios "dream machines." Now, it seems, the greatest dream of many young executives is to have lunch at a new, trendy restaurant."

Note: the website is a politically-oriented blog site, though this post has only a small amount of political content.

The website is: http://powerlineblog.com/archives/018173.php

Not sure if anyone's interested, but there's another post by the same author following up on the earlier one: http://powerlineblog.com/archives/018324.php

Another interesting quote from this one, that seems to reflect what I've heard some say has been affecting Disney:
But I've seen that, too often, they don't think of themselves as the audience. The audience is "those people out there."

Sometimes they're called "the flyover people," those who live between Los Angeles and New York. Many young staff members in Hollywood today would never choose to see the films their studios finance.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to this sooner, and I'll have a longer response later.

But the articles are very much true. It might sound like a line, but Hollywood really does hate you, the average American. The town exists in a bubble, a walled off fortress of money with all the mirrors pointing inwards. The general attitude of the town is probably just the same that that the French nobility had - a sense of natural superiority to all the greate unwashed just outside the gates.

It goes for Disney as well. In the past, Disney was always outside the Hollywood mainstream, this funny little company with their bizzare little amusement parks. But Disney is mainstream now and filled with the same types that inhabit all the other studios. No one cares about "Disney" anymore, it's just a place to get your resume stamped as you climb the corporate ladder.

The one bit I'll add at the moment what I see as a related problem to the one mentioned in the follow-up article (where education has overtaken talent as the measure of worth).

Most people working in Hollywood today have never experienced real life. They've grown up in industry families or always wanting to work in Hollywood. They go to school to learn about filmamking and then just right into a job. But they've never existed outside in a place that doesn't revolve around entertainment.

They are left without the experience of holding a real job, of raising a family, of the tramas and triumphs of normal people. And so they're only "experience" of life comes from movies and television shows. They can play a great game of 'Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon', but they can't tell you what it's like to see the birth of their child or experience the death of a loved one.

When Walt Disney made a movie, it was because he felt what the characters were going through. He was Dumbo, the kid everyone else picked on; he was 'Pinochio' lost in the big and scary world because he had found himself a teenager in France during WWI.

That's why we go to movies and read stories in the first place - we want to learn how to deal with the issues in our lives. Bambi is remembered not because of pretty flowers, but because it teaches childern about growing up; a generation latter that same lesson is taught anew in The Lion King. The successful movies are the ones that mean something. The rest becomes pretty lights and loud explosions that are soon forgotten.

Amoung all the comic books and television series remakes and all the sequels, Hollywood is quickly forgetting how to make movies that people actuall care about. They've gotten very good at getting teenagers to the theaters on a single Friday night, but after that the films are tossed aside like a used popcorn bag. Hollywood can't last long making a $250 million disposable product.

I would generally agree with AV.

I would like to believe Disney's initial popularity was because Walt himself and his company were outsiders; people from the heartland, the "unwashed masses." Though even before Walt Died Disney was mainstream, he was a large player in the media industry and even though he and the company did not mesh well with the other studios, they were still a big time player - if they were not they would have never had the clout to continue this long.

I will also agree that education seems to come first nowadays. Though I value education with a high degree of fondness, if you just don't have talent for something (writing, animating, directing, producing) all the education in the world won't make you "good" at your job. And in a world where everyone can get two year degrees in graphic design, animation, video production and then provide cheap labor to the media industry through internships and low wages due to overproduction of the skill, it is no wonder that Hollywood is going down the tube. Its not hard to hire some analysts to decide what is "hot," a bunch of cheep labor to make the movie, and then stick a name (star or director) with it and equal a quick cash cow. But we will never see Xmen or Harry Potter on the equivalent of the TCM Channel in fifty years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter